AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past, depending on the amp, I have had a little transformer noise. Reviews seem good on this device and Emotiva claims both plugs are not current limiting.

I was thinking of plugging the Outlaw 7500 (little hum/7125 did too) into it, as well as a new Marantz preamp I have coming.

Thoughts or input?

House was built in 2008, so not sure what on that circuit is causing the issue. Only other things plugged in are a UPS for my DVR and a APCH15 power conditioner that all my other AV devices are connected to.

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
Transformer hum (mechanical, not ground loops) can occur for a number of reasons so the CMX-2 may or may not help. Probably won't hurt anything so you could give it a try.

Reactions: gadgtfreek

·
Premium Member
12,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found the hum and cycles it goes thru are directly related to whether my plasma is on or off, and how dark or bright the scene is (bright scene the worse the hum). Using a power conditioner with isolated banks does not work. I did some voltage testing and found the DC voltage to be wild on the line when the plasma is on and bright. These leads me to believe the issue is DC voltage related and the Emotiva is supposed to help with this.

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
That is very good to know, thank you! Sounds like the plasma needs a little PFC... One thing often overlooked by myself and others is that the power supplies of many components are themselves noise generators.

·
Premium Member
12,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is very good to know, thank you! Sounds like the plasma needs a little PFC... One thing often overlooked by myself and others is that the power supplies of many components are themselves noise generators.
This was a new one for me (DC Offset), but a good learning experience.

Outlaws next suggestion was an isolation transformer.

·
Registered
386 Posts
This was a new one for me (DC Offset), but a good learning experience.

Outlaws next suggestion was an isolation transformer.

Did you buy the CMX-2 from Amazon? I noticed you left some feedback there as well.

I'm asking because I'm seeing this message now at Amazon.

"Currently unavailable."
"We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."

http://www.amazon.com/Emotiva-CMX-2..._sim_23_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0JVBEFQ50S7YK0WYAPDF

I went to the Emotiva site and they have it there. But I'm wondering if a new model is coming out since Amazon has it "Currently unavailable."

·
Premium Member
12,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did, only because it was prime and I needed it fast.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I did, only because it was prime and I needed it fast.

Looks like I have to get it from Emotiva directly then. Amazon has it currently unavailable.

·
Premium Member
12,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think it has gone AWOL more than once, not sure if they order them in batches and then have to get more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts