AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For 75 % movies 25% music which would be better? The power will be driving axiom m80's, axiom vp150, qs8's and maybe a set of m3's for the pool table room. Both of the items listed are close in price and just wondering what you guys think is better. Always ran avr's. Never dealt with seperates before. Thanks

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I'm sure you're already aware that both choices have issues of some kind or other. They are readily available on their dedicated threads. Most users are either waiting for fixes or hardware add-ons. These may or may not impact you and your proposed usage.

While separates generally always make better sense in this kind of equation, I would vote for the 645 simply for the superior feature set. It would also make an excellent pre/pro in the future should you decide to upgrade the amping for any reason. I have acquired several amps through the years so this is common practice with me. Currently using the 635 as pre/pro. The main reason for choosing the HK to my mind is to gain the superb EZSet/EQ which I consider the finest and most practical system yet implemented. Again, your room and setup may be issue free but if not? As always, YMMV.

·
Registered
422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeBar /forum/post/0

The main reason for choosing the HK to my mind is to gain the superb EZSet/EQ which I consider the finest and most practical system yet implemented.

I went from an HK AVR520 to using it as a pre/pro feeding an Adcom and then moved to the Emotiva combo. I feel I made the right choice as I am happy with the look and sound of the new setup. I agree with ClarkeBar that the feature set is richer on the HK and you could always use the Hk as a pre/pro in the future. I disagree that ez set/eq is a compelling reason as I found it to give me different results each time and liked my AVIA/rat shack meter results better. The Emotiva combo will also allow you to get that 40% off a future set up so when the upgradeitis hits (deep color/hdmi 1.3) etc you can step up cheaper. FWIW, either way should be a terrific sounding setup. Emotiva also lets you try for 30 days and then you can return it so if you can work a way to get the HK you could A/B them and not have to wonder.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Why not go with the avr as a pre/pro and get the amp from emotiva , and that way you can always upgrade the processor and keep the amp....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.