AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The time has come for a system refresh. I've spent the past month coming up to speed on the new models since my last upgrade and for the past week I'm just spinning my wheels.

I'm setting myself a $1500 budget for Processor/Amplification.

I can't decide if I should go for the Emotiva UMC-1 with an XPA-5 or a big boy receiver like the Elite SC-35 or Denon 4311ci.

Emotiva I believe has most of the major bugs ironed out by now, but I'm a little worried about Emo-Q and the bass management. I'd be lying if I said I understood the technical problem people seem to discuss, I just want to know I can reach the end goal of quality sound without a limitation of the unit.

Then there is the debate over Audyssey Muli-EQ XT vs MCACC. Then Marvel Q vs the older Faraudja in the SC-35.

Long story short. I'm giving myself a headache and spinning my wheels. I would love some input.

System is 70/30 Movies/Music. Powering a set of Axiom's but soon to be Swan Diva 4.2.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
+1. The room's the thing, and the 4311 has Audyssey XT32, with the pro option if you are into (and can afford) tweaking.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
+ 1 for the 4311. Further down the line, you can add a XPA-5 if you want to

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Didn't expect a landslide... The SC-35 is actually off the table. Didn't realize it was last years model. I've added the VSX-52 to the short list in its place..

I've also added the Anthem MRX-500 to the list now to after seeing it at a local dealer today. So hard to choose.

The Anthem uses ARC (their own calibration). I'm not familiar with it at all and how it compares. The sales guy said it blows Audyssey MuliEQ out of the water, but then again he was a salesmen.

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
The bass equalizing in the UMC-1 is fudged up pretty badly. Many people would never notice unless it were pointed out to them but it is noticeable according to what I've read on the Emo Lounge. Nothing at all wrong with their amps though.

Another vote for the Denon and it's XT32 room correction. Especially if you have more than one sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKiTLz /forum/post/20899155

The sales guy said it blows Audyssey MuliEQ out of the water, but then again he was a salesmen.

Audyssey is a proven technology - I've only heard salesmen and owners talk about how good ARC is - but thats what you should expect. One is trying to earn your money by whatever means they can - and the other has to justify spending their money.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/20899202

The bass equalizing in the UMC-1 is fudged up pretty badly. Many people would never notice unless it were pointed out to them but it is noticeable according to what I've read on the Emo Lounge. Nothing at all wrong with their amps though.

I haven't been able to find a definitive answer on the UMC-1. I guess that's cause the bass management bothers some and not others. Considering I don't really understand the problem It's a bit hard to know if I'd be one of the people that wouldn't notice.

The only real downsides I can see to the Denon are the styling. Doesn't do much for me but I could live it. Also it uses the Anchor Bay ABT-2015 for video processing which from what I've read isn't quite as good as the new Marvel Qdeo.

I had a 3805 back in the day and while it was a good receiver, it never really wow'd me. I guess that is where my Denon reservation is coming from.

·
Registered
164 Posts
While the UMC1 has had lots of FW issues etc, it is hard to beat at the current closeout prices and the used units are getting very cheap as well. But if you want good stuff out of the box, the Denon is the best option.

On the other hand XPA-5 is an excellent Amp.. So get Denon + XPA-5

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by anismo /forum/post/20899376

While the UMC1 has had lots of FW issues etc, it is hard to beat at the current closeout prices and the used units are getting very cheap as well. But if you want good stuff out of the box, the Denon is the best option.

On the other hand XPA-5 is an excellent Amp.. So get Denon + XPA-5

Welcome to my world.. "Ok I'll just get a modest Receiver this time round.. Well I guess I'll get something a bit higher.. Well I guess I'll get new amps.. Well with that much power I may as well get new speakers"

I'm brutal. Happens everytime.

·
Registered
164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKiTLz /forum/post/20899383

Welcome to my world.. "Ok I'll just get a modest Receiver this time round.. Well I guess I'll get something a bit higher.. Well I guess I'll get new amps.. Well with that much power I may as well get new speakers"

I'm brutal. Happens everytime.

I hear ya. I started off with getting a bluray player to go with my old 720p TV at the start of this year. Then I realized my Denon 4802 didnt have HD audio support and HDMI support. So I got Onkyo 3008. Then My friend pointed me to a sale on XPA-5 so I had to get that( because.. you know.. one needs "head room".. didnt even know what that meant when I wanted to get it
).. Then I upgraded my PAradigm Monitor 7s to Paradigm Studio 40s because I had a good deal from a friend who was selling his. Now that the sound was all fixed up, I had to upgrade my TV.. and ended up with Samsung UN60D7000..

On top of all that I feel pretty good with the changes ..

So you can see I fully understand your condition

The wife has revoked all my AV spending for sometime now (She claims 5 years.. we will see)..

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anismo /forum/post/20899774

The wife has revoked all my AV spending for sometime now (She claims 5 years.. we will see)..

I don't think your wife understands the new 'problem' you now have. All that amperage sitting idle in the 3008 causing heat issues. Ya just gotta have a prepro - now!

·
Registered
164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/20899924

I don't think your wife understands the new 'problem' you now have. All that amperage sitting idle in the 3008 causing heat issues. Ya just gotta have a prepro - now!

he he.. dont tempt me. at the moment, it looks pretty good I must say

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Something I'm finding a bit annoying with the new receiver lines these days. Pre-outs don't seem to be nearly as common anymore. You have to purchase a model towards the top of the series to get pre-outs. The funny thing is though that half the time the changes between that model and a few below it are just the amp/power output... Which if you're using pre-outs you probably don't plan on using anyways.

So you're paying quite a premium some of the time just to get pre-outs with the same processing functionality.

Doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense to me.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just spent a ridicilous amount of time reading the Anthem MRK owners thread.. I think I'm going to give it a fair chance..

Going to head back to the dealer tommorow and play with the MRK 500 some more. People seem to really like ARC. Even over MultiEQ XT 32.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I made my decision and pulled the pin today. Anthem MRX-500.

My primary reasoning was...

1. Guys really seem to love ARC. I'm hearing nothing but positives on the sound and power of the new Anthem line.

2. I like the styling.

3. I use Sonos for my music so really don't need all this DLNA crap built into the new receivers. I'll take the SQ over features I don't use.

The main shortcoming that will bother me a bit is the lack of OSD for most things. The only thing that has OSD is volume control. Everything else shows on the front LCD only. I'm thinking/hoping Anthem will address this with a firmware update.

Unfortunately, my dealer got me all excited then told me they only have the demo model in stock. So I've got to wait a week.

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
I would have gone for one of the Pioneer's or Denons. You just get more for the money with them. They can do everything the Anthem can do for you plus.

If you care about SQ, its a wash between all three. Each receiver comes with some kind auto calibration system, which I have learned is more important to SQ along with speakers and placement of them, than the receiver.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.