AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm looking for an Amp to drive 8 sets of speakers for ambient music throughout the house. I"m running the monoprice in wall / ceiling speakers. What's the word on Emotiva vs Dayton Audio? Does anyone have a recommendation on which in the line is most reasonable that will handle the load.

Thanks in advance.

J

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
To do that you want a 70-volt amplifier and PA speakers with tapped transformers.

Check out the Pyle PT720A amplifier at Amazon or proaudio.com, for example. Bogen also makes good PA amplifiers.

A "70V" amplifier can drive up to 10 speakers wired in parallel. The speakers you have may not be the right type.

Each speaker has its own matching transformer mounted on its frame, which allows you to choose the transformer tap that gives the correct volume for each location relative to the others.

For tutorial on setting up a multi-room system go to alectrosystems.com. They have a very nice explanation and tutorial.

PartsExpress has a very good deal on 8-inch PA speakers complete with matching transformer; only $9.50 each. Part # 300-020.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. You mention 10 speakers. What if I'm using 8 sets (16 speakers as listed above). I may even go as high as 9 or 10 sets. And.. Any experience with Emotiva or Dayton Audio Apms vs Pyle. I'v e read a bunch of reviews on the Pyle Amps and they seem to have a spotty reputation.

Thank you again for responding so fast.

Joe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts