AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a pair of B&W CM5's and I was thinking of getting the SVS SB-1000 to go along with them. But now I am thinking I should wait on the SUB and go with something new to drive the CM5's with. I currently have an older Yamaha 2-Channel Amp (AX-592, 100 x 2 RMS) that I bought over 10 years ago and it seems to do a pretty good job at pushing these CM5 speakers.

However, the guy at the place I bought the B W’s was stating I should get a better amp to drive these speakers, and that I would notice a big improvement, which is what got me thinking. I was all set on using my Yamaha Amp to drive these and picking up the SVS sub to supplement the low end- but now I am not sure if I should wait on the SUB and go with a different amp.

I have been looking at the Emotiva XDA-2/UPA-200 combo as it is within my price range and I have read good reviews on them. It is just a little more than the SVS SUB I was looking at.

So my question is, do you think the XDA-2/UPA-200 would be a huge improvement over my Yamaha AX-592 and just add the sub later?

Or should I just stick with the AX-592 and stay with the plan of adding the SVS sub now.

This is for 100% music.

Any thoughts or input is appreciated!!!

LINKS:

AX-592

http://usa.yamaha.com/product_archive/audio-visual/ax-592_black__u/

UPA-200

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/upa200

XDA-2

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/xda2

Thanks!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Dang no responses. Well I have decided to keep my Yamaha to run the CM5's and go with either the SVS SB-1000 or the SB12-NSD.

Hopefully they go together well!!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think you'll be happier with the sub. It will be much more of a noticeable improvement than going from one amp to another. I don't have experience with either model, so I can't say how much better or worse the Emotiva will be, but I know how much better my KEF/B&W speakers sound with a sub in the mix.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks trog69! That's the way I went. I actually purchased the SUB yesterday....should be here soon.

Can't wait to hear how it sounds with the CM5's!!!

·
Registered
84 Posts

Those B&W speakers are to be driven by 30-120 watts RMS, and your Yamaha is already doing 100 watts per channel. It has more than enough 'oomph' to drive those speakers to their full ability. Like trog69 was saying the difference in sound quality between your Yamaha and the Emotiva is going to be minimal at best. The UPA-200 at 125 watts will push the drivers to their maximum efficiency and will extract every bit of sound those little guys have but is it worth the $600 those two components will cost? IMHO, no. From the sounds of it the guy at the audio store was just trying to make a sale by selling you a new amp.

Just my 0.02.

·
The Village Idiot
9,686 Posts
A good sub will make more difference than adding another amp. The UPA-200 has 25w more than the Yamaha amp. You won't notice any difference as long as the Yamaha is working as it should.

As for the salesman - what did you expect someone with a stock-room full of amps to say? Never trust a salesman.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies!! yea the salesman factor does some into play for sure. The Rotel Amp he showed me seemed nice and sounded great to with the Cm5's in the showroom. However, it sounds even better at my house and I am using the Yamaha amp. So I think i made the right decision on just going with the SUB.

I for sure don't think $600 for 25 more watts is worth it when the Yamaha is sounding so good.

So I will have Computer > USB DAC > Yamaha 2 Channel Amp > CM5's / SB12-NSD SUB.

The sub has the ability to xover the CM5's at 80hz. I will try it both ways and see what sounds better. I do like the way the CM5's sound right now full range, but xover at 80 with the addition of the SUB may sound even better.

I just checked the tracking number and it says it will be here Saturday.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts