AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all...1st- I did use the search function but what I read did not answer my questions....I just bought an XPA-2 which will be running my JBL L-series tower speakers- I have a 7.2 JBL Speaker system which is being powered by my trusty ol' Onkyo 875.

I think the XPA-2 will give me the extra power to run the towers and the Onkyo can power the center and 4 surrounds. My question is wiring up the onkyo and Emo....I know that regular white/red RCA's will work for my setup, but am I going to plug into the balanced or unbalanced input of the emo?

I read that balanced helps with noise issues, but other then that, what would be the reason to use one over the other? Sorry for the noob question..just wanted to verify things before I start plugging in cables...Thanks fellas!

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Does that Onkyo have balanced outputs? My guess is no. So the simplest method is RCA cables with the Emotiva switches set to unbalanced mode.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/19555197

Does that Onkyo have balanced outputs? My guess is no. So the simplest method is RCA cables with the Emotiva switches set to unbalanced mode.

Thanks for the reply. No, the pre-outs on the Onkyo are all rca outputs but I know you can purchase xlr/rca cables with one end having the phone jack....I guess I really wouldn't tell any difference between the 2, and saving money not having to buy anymore cables is a plus...thanks again for the reply

·
Registered
13,125 Posts
If the preamp does not output balanced you'll gain virtually nothing by converting at the amp. Go with RCAs and enjoy the new beast! (I like my XPA-2, btw.)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 /forum/post/19555346

If the preamp does not output balanced you'll gain virtually nothing by converting at the amp. Go with RCAs and enjoy the new beast! (I like my XPA-2, btw.)

Thanks also for the reply...I think I am confusing myself by reading the onkyo manual.....I am also thinking about adding a 1/8" mono cable as a remote trigger as the Emo doesn't come with a remote, so I can turn it on when I turn the Onkyo on...

My problem is that in the manual it says that the 12 volt trigger is for Zone 2 and I have to turn on zone 2 to get the electrical output to set the trigger active....I am only using the 2 front left and right preout rca's as I am still using the onkyo to power my other 5 speakers...

I am not creating a "zone 2" I am just using the 2 front and left preouts. Why does the onkyo trigger say it is for zone 2? Do I need to turn zone 2 on to get the trigger to turn on the Emo?? Thanks again fellas!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well after further reading, I guess the Onkyo is a zone 2 trigger, so you have to turn on zone 2....The lame thing is that I have been reading that if you turn on zone 2, the rear surround channels will be turned off, so there would go my 7.2 surround setup just to have a working trigger function...Sounds pretty lame to me...can any of you guys confirm this to be true? I got the info off this forum--- http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/111884.aspx

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you guys know if setting zone 2 on actually turns off the rear surrounds even if I am not using the zone 2 speaker outputs? I read the manual and it states that ctivating zone 2 will turn off the rear surrounds, so I just want to be clear..I guess I could use the rear outlet on the onkyo and just make a 12v trigger using a ac power adapter....

·
Registered
13,125 Posts
I'd be VERY surprised if the 12V trigger is only on Zone 2, but anything's possible. However, I don't own an Onkyo. Your best best bet is to search for Onkyp threads, and if that fails start anew with your question. Sorry - Don

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.