AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got all the equipment in and I set it up. I have not had time yet to calibrate everything properly or to run audessy but right out of the box it is GREAT!


My question is, how do I make the Emotiva AMP shut down when the ONKYO shuts down? I know the Emotiva has a 5v-12v trigger input but I believe the Onkyo doesn't have one. Would I be able to get a 12v plug that plugs into the Onkyo outlet on the back and run a wire to the Emotiva? Is this safe/effective?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump.


I am scared of damaging my amp so I would like input.


Basically I was going to get a 12v adapter and plug it into the back of Onkyo and the other end in the Emotiva Amp trigger input.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,409 Posts
You should have a 12 volt trigger out on the Onkyo that has a 3.5mm (?) plug that looks like a headphone plug for a walkman. Pick up a male to male cable with this plug at RadioShack or the like and connect from the Onkyo to the XPA-3. Look in your manual for a 12 volt trigger section as you may need to turn it on from one of the set up menus. On the XPA-3 the trigger input will be on the left side of the rear panel if you are facing it and says something along the lines of 5v-12v Trigger input. Once the cable is plugged in to both units and the trigger is activated in the Onkyo (if necessary) the amp should power up from the signal it receives from the Onkyo. I did a cursory search through the Onkyo manual and it doesn't specify that it does need to be turned on through a set up manual but if you run into an issue I would do a deeper search.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick /forum/post/15535089


You should have a 12 volt trigger out on the Onkyo that has a 3.5mm (?) plug that looks like a headphone plug for a walkman. Pick up a male to male cable with this plug at RadioShack or the like and connect from the Onkyo to the XPA-3. Look in your manual for a 12 volt trigger section as you may need to turn it on from one of the set up menus. On the XPA-3 the trigger input will be on the left side of the rear panel if you are facing it and says something along the lines of 5v-12v Trigger input. Once the cable is plugged in to both units and the trigger is activated in the Onkyo (if necessary) the amp should power up from the signal it receives from the Onkyo. I did a cursory search through the Onkyo manual and it doesn't specify that it does need to be turned on through a set up manual but if you run into an issue I would do a deeper search.

This is the only port I see for trigger on the Onkyo


12V TRIGGER OUT ZONE 2

This output can be connected to the 12-volt trigger

input on a component in Zone 2. When Zone 2 is

turned on, a 12-volt trigger signal is output.


I do not have anything in Zone 2 so I didn't think this was it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,948 Posts
You can plug in a 12v adapter and use the powered outlet on the receiver to activate it. This will handle the trigger for the amp just fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu /forum/post/15536243


You can plug in a 12v adapter and use the powered outlet on the receiver to activate it. This will handle the trigger for the amp just fine.

Tis is what I do with my Onkyo 905 and Emotiva XPA-5 and it works perfectly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,586 Posts
For the people with XPA amp and onkyo receiver, would plugging into one outlet (along with tv, cable box, blu ray) be okay?


I live in a 50+ year old home. Just making sure it would be fine.


I have an onkyo 805 thinking about one of the xpas to drive the fronts (including the center).



Tony
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractng /forum/post/15542824


For the people with XPA amp and onkyo receiver, would plugging into one outlet (along with tv, cable box, blu ray) be okay?


I live in a 50+ year old home. Just making sure it would be fine.


I have an onkyo 805 thinking about one of the xpas to drive the fronts (including the center).



Tony

It might flip the circuit breaker. Is there anyway to run a dedicated line for the amp and tv and keep everything else on the current line?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrted46 /forum/post/15542853


It might flip the circuit breaker. Is there anyway to run a dedicated line for the amp and tv and keep everything else on the current line?

I don't have the xpa amp yet, but like to plan ahead
. Oh, one outlet for this wall.


I heard something about 15 amps per outlet. Any electrician here?


I never had problems any problems before.


tony
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
485 Posts
There are plenty of people that run all their gear off a single circuit, even with multiple amps. It would be better to have a dedicated circuit, but might not be necessary.



I run everything I own off of one 20 amp circuit. AVR, Emotiva LPA amp, Infinity Sub, DLP TV, Blu-Ray player, plus lights and fans. Never had a tripped breaker.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu /forum/post/15536243


You can plug in a 12v adapter and use the powered outlet on the receiver to activate it. This will handle the trigger for the amp just fine.

do what he says, it works great w/ my xpa-5
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens /forum/post/15545266


Where do you get these 12v adapters?

Walmart, BB, CC, etc. They are made to power small gadgets like CD players without using the batteries. Most come with a bunch of different tips to fit different connectors and many have selectable output voltages.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,481 Posts
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
When I start to play a DVD, as the amp switches the speakers from two to 5.1, I hear a switching noise from the speakers. I can see the symbols for the speakers change in the display. Other info changes as well, such as Dolby True HD etc.


When the volume is louder the noise is more.


Also happens when I change chapters in a DVD.


Please help with the possible diagnosis.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top