AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am adding an XPA-5 for my rear speakers, which got me thinking about the current XPA-3 that I am driving my fronts with. I am thinking of getting an XPA-2 for my front left and right RS850s Rockets and using the extra channel I will have on the XPA-5 to run the center. Is this a worthwhile upgrade or will there be negligible improvement seen between the XPA-2 and XPA-3?

·
Registered
12,864 Posts
You can check using an SPL calculator like the one linked below to estimate how much power you might need. 80 dB is pretty loud to me...

Those speakers appear to be 6 ohms nominal and 90.5 dB/W/m sensitivity. My guess is an XPA-3 will be more than adequate.

SPL calculator: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

HTH - Don

·
Banned
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Don

Paligap - I haven't upgraded my signature. I am now using a Denon X5200W, but yes it will be used a a pre only.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I like your speakers. ;) Seeing your signature prompted me to create my own. I've wondered about getting an XPA-something for a long time, but I've never pulled the trigger.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
I have a 3 channel amp too (ATI 2003) for front three and using two x two channel 60Wper channel amplifiers. Options for me is replace the two two's with one four channel (or get a 5 and leave it unused) or if I want atmos get a 7 then have 2 ceiling speakers, or a 8 (if they exist) so I would have four ceiling speakers)

I presume getting the xpa5 and xpa2 means selling the xpa3? The xpa2 is rated higher than the xpa3 with a bigger power supply, more storage caps.

The XPA2 has a far larger PSU, and 5000uf extra capacitor storage per channel.

Certainly the XPA2 looks like it was designed as a two channel from the start, rather than just a moduler type

Rocket RS850 aren't too hard to drive nor low sensitivity so I doubt taxing the power supply.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts