AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

I have a 5.1 speaker setup for my home theater, and my receiver is an Onkyo TX-NR3008 (THX Ultra2 Plus).

I've been reading a lot about Emotiva products, and I was wondering if the XPA-5 amplifier would be a good match for my Onkyo receiver, if I decide to use the Onkyo as a sound processor...

1) If I understand correctly, I use the speaker pre-outs on the Onkyo, and send RCA cables to the 5 channel inputs on the Emotiva and bingo, more power? And then, speaker cables from the Emotiva outputs to my speakers correct?

2) Is it as simple as that, and would I gain that much more power and sound quality???

3) I don't see a subwoofer LFE channel on the Emotiva... Does this mean my subwoofer stays connected to my Onkyo receiver as it is right now?

4) Pardon my lack of knowledge with processors and dedicated amps, but if I go for the Onkyo processor and Emotiva amp combination, will my setup still do uncompressed sound (TrueHD and DTS-HD)??? I have my blu-ray setup to pass the sound signal as BITSTREAM so that my Onkyo receiver decodes everything. Will that change once I get the Onkyo/Emotiva setup????

5) If I use a Logitech Harmony One remote to power everything up with a touch of a button, will the Harmony able to power up the Emotiva unit as well? I don't see that it has IR capability...

Here's my setup:

Totem Acoustic Model-1 signature fronts and center (4-ohms)

Totem Acoustic Mite rears

SVS PB13-Ultra subwoofer

Onkyo TX-NR3008 receiver

Panasonic TC-P65VT25 65-inch 3D plasma

Panasonic DMP-BDT350 3D blu-ray player

6) I also have the possiblity of using my Sonus Faber Toy towers (8 ohms) and Toy center in the front. I'm waiting on delivery of the SF Toy center to try out the front stage with Sonus Fabers instead of the Totem speakers... Anyone here have an opinion on which will be best for the fronts and center? Sonus Faber or Totem?

Thanks for your help guys!

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangevee /forum/post/20882460

Hi guys!

I have a 5.1 speaker setup for my home theater, and my receiver is an Onkyo TX-NR3008 (THX Ultra2 Plus).

I've been reading a lot about Emotiva products, and I was wondering if the XPA-5 amplifier would be a good match for my Onkyo receiver, if I decide to use the Onkyo as a sound processor...

1) If I understand correctly, I use the speaker pre-outs on the Onkyo, and send RCA cables to the 5 channel inputs on the Emotiva and bingo, more power? And then, speaker cables from the Emotiva outputs to my speakers correct?

2) Is it as simple as that, and would I gain that much more power and sound quality???

3) I don't see a subwoofer LFE channel on the Emotiva... Does this mean my subwoofer stays connected to my Onkyo receiver as it is right now?

4) Pardon my lack of knowledge with processors and dedicated amps, but if I go for the Onkyo processor and Emotiva amp combination, will my setup still do uncompressed sound (TrueHD and DTS-HD)??? I have my blu-ray setup to pass the sound signal as BITSTREAM so that my Onkyo receiver decodes everything. Will that change once I get the Onkyo/Emotiva setup????

5) If I use a Logitech Harmony One remote to power everything up with a touch of a button, will the Harmony able to power up the Emotiva unit as well? I don't see that it has IR capability...

Here's my setup:

SVS PB13-Ultra subwoofer

Onkyo TX-NR3008 receiver

6) I also have the possiblity of using my Sonus Faber Toy towers (8 ohms) and Toy center in the front. I'm waiting on delivery of the SF Toy center to try out the front stage with Sonus Fabers instead of the Totem speakers...

1) Yes

2) Power, yes. Sound quality...well, if more power avoids distortion, then yes. Otherwise, maybe. Endless debate

3) Yes, because your subwoofer is likely powered, and does not need an amp

4) The amp changes nothing; however you want to re-run the setup, because the amp may have different gain and the input trims need to be adjusted...this is not good or bad, it just needs to be adjusted

5) The amp is not remote controlled. If the Onkyo has a 12volt amp trigger, that will work. Or you can get a power strip that powers up some gear when another piece of gear powers up (I hear they sell such things, but I don't have any)

6) Was there a question there?

·
Registered
116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangevee /forum/post/20882460

Hi guys!

Here's my setup:

SVS PB13-Ultra subwoofer

Onkyo TX-NR3008 receiver

6) I also have the possiblity of using my Sonus Faber Toy towers (8 ohms) and Toy center in the front. I'm waiting on delivery of the SF Toy center to try out the front stage with Sonus Fabers instead of the Totem speakers...

Your Onkyo also runs hot, which the Emotiva will help with due to receiver's onboard amps not being used.

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
Amps still put out a lot of heat even when not being used. Denon has a couple of AVRs that the owner can switch the amps off when using as a pre-pro. When I bought my Emotiva UPA-7 I used it with a Harman Kardon AVR 520 which tended to run hot - even used as a pre-pro it was still quite hot.

FWIW I doubt the OP will experience any earth shattering differences unless they listen at very high volumes.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your answers guys. Really appreciated.

I listen at moderate volume (-15.0db on my receiver). I never bring it up to the reference 0 db level... Too loud for my liking.

So it will give me more power, but not necessarily more sound quality... But I don't think I need more power, since I don't want to blow windows (heheeh) and my current Onkyo receiver has decent power.

I used to have the Pioneer Elite SC-37 for one month, then decided to exchange for an Onkyo 3008. I prefered the Onkyo.

But maybe I'd get a greater result by getting an Arcam AVR-400? Would that be a huge increase in power/performance? What about an Arcam AVR-500 (the 600 is waaaay out of budget)...

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
Emotiva amps are set up with higher than normal gain levels to accommodate AVRs with their lower than pre/pro voltage output levels. 32db for all of their amps IIRC.

However it sounds like the OP doesn't need an external amp. If I had that AVR I wouldn't have a need for the UPA-7/Integra DHC 40.1. And maybe the way I would have gone if I didn't already have the UPA-7. With only 125wpc it is still a beast of an amp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.