AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the true power rating for the Emotiva XPA-9 is if all channels are driven?

In their website, tt says its 5x300w + 4x65w but this is rated if 2 channels are driven.

On a side note, will 65w be enough to power my atmos speakers? (Kef Ci160ER)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is this accurate:

single powered module = 5 x 200watts at 8ohms (all channel driven)
stereo powered module = 4 x ??? watts at 8 ohms (all channel driven)

(need to know the stereo module part)

·
The Village Idiot
9,626 Posts
More than likely 65wpc will be more than enough. If you doubled the power going to those 2 speakers, 139wpc, will only net you 3db more (louder). Hardly noticeable to the average ear. The average stereo speakers will not see much more than 10w unless you're trying to drive yourself deaf. That is assuming an average sized room and the average listener.

Reactions: spyboy

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More than likely 65wpc will be more than enough. If you doubled the power going to those 2 speakers, 139wpc, will only net you 3db more (louder). Hardly noticeable to the average ear. The average stereo speakers will not see much more than 10w unless you're trying to drive yourself deaf. That is assuming an average sized room and the average listener.
Thanks for the reply. Would you perhaps know if it is really 65watts that is being given when all channel is driven? The single powered module is 300w when driven at 1 channel but went down to 200w when all channel driven. I wonder how many watts will the stereo module produce when all channel is driven... maybe only 40watts?

·
Registered
8,347 Posts
The makers of power amps (and receivers) inflate the all channels driven wattage. The XPA-9's rated (by Emotiva) as putting out 1760 watts with all channels driven. When approaching maximum output the AC line voltage starts to sag. So unless you have a voltage regulator, you can't achieve the all channels driven numbers, Also if the XPA-9 is 90% efficient, you would to draw almost 2,000 watts, all channels driven. You would need a 20 AMP line to begin to deliver maximum output with all channels driven. Also, 65 watts is plenty to drive your atmos speakers.

Reactions: joms

·
Registered
8,347 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Would you perhaps know if it is really 65watts that is being given when all channel is driven? The single powered module is 300w when driven at 1 channel but went down to 200w when all channel driven. I wonder how many watts will the stereo module produce when all channel is driven... maybe only 40watts?

Even 40 watts is enough to drive your atmos speakers.

Reactions: joms

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Even 40 watts is enough to drive your atmos speakers.
Thanks but what if my in-ceiling speaker is not used as an atmos speaker but rather an "all channel stereo" mode? My mother wants to turn on all the speakers while watching youtube. Will the 40w still be enough for the in-ceiling speaker playing stereo ?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Thanks but what if my in-ceiling speaker is not used as an atmos speaker but rather an "all channel stereo" mode? My mother wants to turn on all the speakers while watching youtube. Will the 40w still be enough for the in-ceiling speaker playing stereo ?
Well that depends on the speakers and the volume also.
When I play all channel stereo with my 7.1 system it is way loud, and I have to turn it down. And I have lots of power, my point is unless she still turns it way up probably not hitting 40 watts on those.
Does all channel stereo on your processor include the atmos channels? If so, interesting overkill!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well that depends on the speakers and the volume also.
When I play all channel stereo with my 7.1 system it is way loud, and I have to turn it down. And I have lots of power, my point is unless she still turns it way up probably not hitting 40 watts on those.
Does all channel stereo on your processor include the atmos channels? If so, interesting overkill!
Hmmm i really dont know if atmos channel is included in all stereo channel. I haven't installed my system yet but my AV pre-amp is the Marantz AV8805 and the power amp is Emotiva XPA-9

Edit: it appears that it will play on all speakers

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
For the XPA-7 (seven high power modules), Emotiva claims 200W/channel into 8 ohms, all 7 channels driven equally. That's compared to 300W, for 1 or 2 channels into 8 ohms.

I could only guess how that would play out for an XPA-9 (5 high power modules, 2 stereo). I think you should be fine, even ignoring the fact that it would be most unusual to drive all speakers to the maximum at the same time.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For the XPA-7 (seven high power modules), Emotiva claims 200W/channel into 8 ohms, all 7 channels driven equally. That's compared to 300W, for 1 or 2 channels into 8 ohms.

I could only guess how that would play out for an XPA-9 (5 high power modules, 2 stereo). I think you should be fine, even ignoring the fact that it would be most unusual to drive all speakers to the maximum at the same time.
it would be unusual to drive all speakers to max at the same time if its a movie being watched in a normal setting but if you choose "multi channel stereo" then all speakers will get the same signal all at the same time

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
it would be unusual to drive all speakers to max at the same time if its a movie being watched in a normal setting but if you choose "multi channel stereo" then all speakers will get the same signal all at the same time
Yes, I know. I didn't mention that. Not something I ever do; useful at parties, maybe.

Does multichannel stereo also send the full signal to the Atmos speakers? Possible, if a little weird.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, I am new here and would just like to ask for some advice on getting this amp. My current setup is 5.2.4

Marantz SR-7015
SVS Dual SB-2000 Pro
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
SVS Ultra Center
SVS Prime Elevation Surrounds
Emotiva Air Atmos Ceiling Speakers x 4

While I have been reading a ton of article and forum posts, I generally read that adding in separates is the way to go, but I am really wondering what type of noticeable improvement I can expect by adding in an Emotiva XPA-9 Gen 3 amp? Will adding in this power really make an impact or would this be a waste of $2K? Thank you

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello, I am new here and would just like to ask for some advice on getting this amp. My current setup is 5.2.4

Marantz SR-7015
SVS Dual SB-2000 Pro
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
SVS Ultra Center

While I have been reading a ton of article and forum posts, I generally read that adding in separates is the way to go, but I am really wondering what type of noticeable improvement I can expect by adding in an Emotiva XPA-9 Gen 3 amp? Will adding in this power really make an impact or would this be a waste of $2K? Thank you
If you watch at high volume levels then I would say go for it. I am personally using XPA6 for my atmos+rears and rotel (5x200w) for my fronts+center.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts

Marantz SR-7015
SVS Dual SB-2000 Pro
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
SVS Ultra Center

It really depends on 4 things
1. How big is your room.
2. How loud do you want to go sometimes?
3 What do you listen to?
4. Can your speakers handle high power?

Most all day my XPA5 is just "part of the chain" of my system, but yesterday I watched a Kings Of Leon DVD concert and there is no way my Marantz could have kept up with that by itself without adding distortion.

I don't know when I need my amp until I do. (did!)

·
Registered
3 Posts
It really depends on 4 things
1. How big is your room.
2. How loud do you want to go sometimes?
3 What do you listen to?
4. Can your speakers handle high power?

Most all day my XPA5 is just "part of the chain" of my system, but yesterday I watched a Kings Of Leon DVD concert and there is no way my Marantz could have kept up with that by itself without adding distortion.

I don't know when I need my amp until I do. (did!)
The room is about 22' x 16', its mostly for movies, but of course listen to music as well. I have only had the Marantz 7015 for a few weeks and the loudest I went was about 70 on the dial and it sounded really good, so I guess that is what I am looking to find out. Is there a marked improvement to add at that level, maybe a little beyond. I am not sure how adding the amp would change the way the system works, or is it just a better feed of juice for the speakers?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
The room is about 22' x 16', its mostly for movies, but of course listen to music as well. I have only had the Marantz 7015 for a few weeks and the loudest I went was about 70 on the dial and it sounded really good, so I guess that is what I am looking to find out. Is there a marked improvement to add at that level, maybe a little beyond. I am not sure how adding the amp would change the way the system works, or is it just a better feed of juice for the speakers?
If it all sounds great now and your receiver is handling it without overheating or distorting then you don't need an amp.
It IS supposed to be just MORE feed of juice for the speakers, not necessarily better than your receiver. Some can actually be worse adding distortion in the first few watts. I am not saying that about Emotiva.
I had my amp before I got the Marantz, so I use it, but I bet most of the time I don't need it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How serious are you when listening to music because if you really are then i'd suggest getting a preamp/poweramp or integrated amp with an HT-bypass feature then merge it with your Marantz 7015. That's what i am going to do (saving up for it). I plan to use the pre-outs of my Marantz then plug it in a primaluna tube amp (via HT-bypass input) which will power both my front speakers. When watching video, the Marantz will control my system (5.2.4). On the other hand, when listening to stereo music, my primaluna will play both my front speakers. (Marantz is turned off and will not be used).

·
Registered
3 Posts
The question I have is, what do you mean by serious? I know you mean do I turn it up to 11 :), but what volume do you play music at? As I said previously, I have put movies and music between 60-70? Are you pushing 85+?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts