AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the Emotiva XPA31. It is connected to B&W CM9 fronts and a B&W CM Center. Very demanding speakers that did not seem alive with my Denon X4200 receiver.

The Emotiva is a huge step up. But it is inconsistent - I find it a bit harsh on some female vocals and certain mixes/recordings. Yes - I know some of this is the source recording but the Emotiva sounds a bit cold and seems to pull that out of the fairly neutral B&W speakers.

Is my assessment what others have heard in the Emotiva XPAs? Has anyone compared the Emotiva XPA to the Parasound A31. I couldn’t find a Parasound to demo.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
Is my assessment what others have heard in the Emotiva XPAs? Has anyone compared the Emotiva XPA to the Parasound A31. I couldn’t find a Parasound to demo.
Haven't made such a comparison, but I do have a local Parasound dealer, and if I was going to consider this topology of amplifier, Parasound would certainly be up there on my list. Have heard a good variety on their Parasound gear and I'm never displeased. :) Are you committed to this type of design?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't made such a comparison, but I do have a local Parasound dealer, and if I was going to consider this topology of amplifier, Parasound would certainly be up there on my list. Have heard a good variety on their Parasound gear and I'm never displeased. :) Are you committed to this type of design?
I’m not committed to Emotiva if that is what you are asking. Just hard for me to demo the Parasound to compare.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
I’m not committed to Emotiva if that is what you are asking. Just hard for me to demo the Parasound to compare.
No, not specifically Emotiva, rather the class A/AB topology / large boxes?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, not specifically Emotiva, rather the class A/AB topology / large boxes?
Looking for the best option for the B&Ws. 3 or 5 channel amp. I’ve had mixed success listening to class D, but I have heard some of the Rotel stuff is very good.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
Looking for the best option for the B&Ws. 3 or 5 channel amp. I’ve had mixed success listening to class D, but I have heard some of the Rotel stuff is very good.
Not been able to do a direct side by side, double-blind comparison, but I would happily challenge any Parasound amp and certainly any Emotova amp with this:

http://www.d-sonic.net/

I'm extremely impressed with mine. I did audition my speakers on Parasound gear - and they were great. Again, short of a DB arrangement, this particular class D offering easily competes or bests the Parasound hardware. Just throwing it out there for you! ;) More than enough power in a manageable package that doesn't double as a space heater. :eek:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not been able to do a direct side by side, double-blind comparison, but I would happily challenge any Parasound amp and certainly any Emotova amp with this:

http://www.d-sonic.net/

I'm extremely impressed with mine. I did audition my speakers on Parasound gear - and they were great. Again, short of a DB arrangement, this particular class D offering easily competes or bests the Parasound hardware. Just throwing it out there for you! ;) More than enough power in a manageable package that doesn't double as a space heater. :eek:
I'm not a big fan of ICE Class D. Heard it in NAD equipment and it didn't agree with me at all. I get why some people really like it, just didn't work for me.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I've had both the XPA3 and A31 on B&W speakers (683, CM9, and 802). IMO the Parasound is the better amp with a little more of a laid back presentation. The Emotiva by comparison could get a little hard and grainy up top.

Caution though on the amp question around here. There is a whole legion of forum members who believe all amps sound the same, even though amps all measure differently (yeah, try to figure that out).

·
Registered
7,807 Posts
Also give the A/B amps a serious look at Outlaw Audio. All made by ATI with the exceptions of the A5000 and their monoblocks. They all get very good reviews.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
I'm not a big fan of ICE Class D. Heard it in NAD equipment and it didn't agree with me at all. I get why some people really like it, just didn't work for me.
D-Sonic is not ICE, no longer. Been a while since then. Currently using Pascal amp modules. :)

Reactions: love_that_sound

·
Registered
837 Posts
Also give the A/B amps a serious look at Outlaw Audio. All made by ATI with the exceptions of the A5000 and their monoblocks. They all get very good reviews.
...only problem with Outlaw right now is that the 7700 and the 7140 aren't available...only the monoblock 2200 is.....their high end/wattage (Re: pricey)7900 is also available though....

·
Registered
67 Posts
I purchased the xpaDR3 to power my center and 2 surrounds. On paper its pretty damn good... perhaps try that one instead of the xpa3?
I’d love to hear your thoughts on that amp. I just purchased the A31 and I’m impatiently waiting for it to arrive. Lol.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I’d love to hear your thoughts on that amp. I just purchased the A31 and I’m impatiently waiting for it to arrive. Lol.
I'm supposed to have it by Friday.

I looked hard at the A31 .. its a good solid amplifier for sure. The resale or used market for 3 channel amplifiers is kinda crappy so I kinda used that as my barometer for the Emotiva.

If the Emotiva spec is correct - I'll have more than 3db RMS power headroom for my center and surrounds. Its a shame more carver 350 tubes couldn't be financially justified instead because they are fantastic.

Anyway, I'll let you know yall know on friday if its really worth buying.

Side note - I used a 0% promo via one of the online financing options ... with a 30 day satisfaction guarantee it was really a no-brainer you know. If its good I'll keep and pay for it - if not .. nothing out of my pocket.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Since the original poster has a huge budget in my mind for amps I'll come out of left field here and recommend a crown XLS amp.I use one XLS 1002 to power my definitive towers.Sounds fantastic to me.A XLS 1502 has 300 wpc at 8 ohm and is 399 at guitar center.This would be easy to demo and return if not satisfied.These are 2 channel amps so you would need 2 or 3 but to test just your fronts 1 would suffice.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts