AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fairly specific question. Have the issues surrounding the UMC-1 been resolved through Emotiva's firmware updates/ more recently manufactured units? I'd love nothing more than to pull the trigger on a UMC and one of their wonderful amplifiers, but I'm a tad concerned about the processor's history of malfunction and handshake issues.

Thoughts? I'm not opposed to going with an Emo-amp and different processor, just like the internet-direct model and would prefer to support them over a HUGE conglomerate.

--TDA

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I attempted to find a thread with this question in mind, but there are so many Emotiva threads between speakers, amps, stereo pre-amps, subs, and their different processors... do you have a specific thread in mind? I hate to post a redundant question, but I did look quite a bit for a specific answer... it would appear I missed something

·
Registered
706 Posts
The UMC is a great product, it's also not for everyone.I would only recommend it to those with long history/knowledge of audio gear.Also it's a music first prepro, if HT is your main thing buy any avr $500 msrp and up.I've had my UMC since the first few released and it's been great with no more issues than other hdmi units I own of the same model timing.Good luck.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I purchased a UMC-1 last month but ended up sending it back for a refund. It was still too buggy for my tastes, specifically the HDMI implementation. It would take about 20-30 seconds to get audio and video when turning it on or changing sources. No matter what video resolution settings I picked, it kept changing to 'Auto' and would have to go through 20-30 seconds of handshaking. I also encountered an audio problem where the sound would randomly drop to a very low volume and be garbled sounding.

Sometimes the unit would also not turn completely off and leave my amp powered on, but I believe this was addressed with a firmware update.

For the money I think you'd be better off just getting a decent AVR. It will most likely have less bugs and more features. For home theater use, the UMC-1 should probably be avoided.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input, but bummer for Emotiva. I know they've put a lot of work into development, not to mention bug-correction. It seems like a fantastic company, though I suppose there are trade-offs with every marketing/ development strategy.

I will keep looking for the main UMC-1 posting in here, but your reports are pretty consistent with what I have read to date. I'll probably end-up going with an older model Anthem (30 or 50 processor) and an outboard amp with the new Oppo DVD player for hi-rez audio processing through analog outputs...

I know there's a new Emotiva processor coming out, but it's more expensive than the UMC-1 (perhaps they're attempting to recoup cost... I don't know, it is a business after all) and with the problems the current model is having, I'd want to wait several months on the newest version, so that'd put me out a year or so further down the line. Bummer.

Anyhow, thanks for the response
Any recommendations on a stand-alone AVR?
I had been considering the Yamaha 2000, Marantz 7---, Pioneer Elite 25/27 (I know this is a different amp section entirely), or integra 9.8/9.9...

--TDA

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides /forum/post/19557244

I attempted to find a thread with this question in mind, but there are so many Emotiva threads between speakers, amps, stereo pre-amps, subs, and their different processors... do you have a specific thread in mind? I hate to post a redundant question, but I did look quite a bit for a specific answer... it would appear I missed something

The Emotiva tech thread. Been discussed at least 3 times in the past months. It's all explained there.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Copy that--will sort through the post!

·
Banned
2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides /forum/post/19558345

Copy that--will sort through the post!

The unit for all intents and purposes sucks. It's full of bugs and it seems to be a crap shoot if your unit will be something you can at least "live with" rather than the expectation that comes with most "new" products that it should be a fully functional, relatively bug free unit. It does not take a lot of common sense to see that one should stay far away from this unit.

That is unless you prefer to pay to be a guinea pig for a unit full of problems which are currently being "worked out".

·
Registered
555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddelts /forum/post/19558435

The unit for all intents and purposes sucks. It's full of bugs and it seems to be a crap shoot rather your unit will be something you can at least "live with" rather than the expectation that comes with most "new" products that it should be a fully functional, relatively bug free unit. It does not take a lot of common sense to see that one should stay far away from this unit.

That is unless you prefer to pay to be a guinea pig for a unit full of problems which are currently being "worked out".

Uh... not so fast. No offense, but I would suggest at least brushing up on your facts before making such a blatantly incorrect statement. It sounds like you either don't own the unit or haven't followed the progress of the unit (or both). Maybe you don't care to (and that's alright too), but don't shy someone away from a product that may just work for him based on old facts or opinions.

To the OP - don't bother trying to gather much truly useful information here as to the current state of affairs of the UMC-1. Emotiva has made a LOT of progress ridding the bugs that these guys are still referring to. Firmware version 7.02, which was released months ago, has placed the unit in "prime time" status. Are there still issues for some? Yes, but mostly for those with antiquated or neglected cable STBs. For the rest of us, not so much. Mine works just fine.

Shortly, Emotiva will be releasing yet another update (v7.02.05) which will again tighten up any remaining issues and, as reported by field testers (yes field testers), it's a remarkable improvement even over v7.02. Supposedly, it tightens up HDMI audio/video lock times and even expands upon the already outstanding sonic qualities that have been there from the beginning.

If I were you, and truly wanted to "audition" the UMC-1, I would wait until v7.02.05 went live, then order the unit and request that the v7.02.05 firmware get pre-installed prior to shipping (they probably would anyway, but I'd still request it). Try the unit in you own set-up. With a 30 day unconditional, no questions asked return policy (return shipping is even picked-up by Emotive within the U.S.), what do you have to lose except your time and effort?

I will state for the record though, their documentation leaves a lot to be desired, but their customer and technical support is top notch (as long as you pick up the telephone and call.) There are also plenty of knowledgeable people on the Emotiva forum that are there to help. The UMC-1 can be complicated to the novice user, but once set up (and you understand it), it's sweet.

Just sayin'.....

·
Banned
2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC1963 /forum/post/19560279

Uh... not so fast. No offense, but I would suggest at least brushing up on your facts before making such a blatantly incorrect statement. It sounds like you either don't own the unit or haven't followed the progress of the unit (or both). Maybe you don't care to (and that's alright too), but don't shy someone away from a product that may just work for him based on old facts or opinions.

To the OP - don't bother trying to gather much truly useful information here as to the current state of affairs of the UMC-1. Emotiva has made a LOT of progress ridding the bugs that these guys are still referring to. Firmware version 7.02, which was released months ago, has placed the unit in "prime time" status. Are there still issues for some? Yes, but mostly for those with antiquated or neglected cable STBs. For the rest of us, not so much. Mine works just fine.

Shortly, Emotiva will be releasing yet another update (v7.02.05) which will again tighten up any remaining issues and, as reported by field testers (yes field testers), it's a remarkable improvement even over v7.02. Supposedly, it tightens up HDMI audio/video lock times and even expands upon the already outstanding sonic qualities that have been there from the beginning.

If I were you, and truly wanted to "audition" the UMC-1, I would wait until v7.02.05 went live, then order the unit and request that the v7.02.05 firmware get pre-installed prior to shipping (they probably would anyway, but I'd still request it). Try the unit in you own set-up. With a 30 day unconditional, no questions asked return policy (return shipping is even picked-up by Emotive within the U.S.), what do you have to lose except your time and effort?

I will state for the record though, their documentation leaves a lot to be desired, but their customer and technical support is top notch (as long as you pick up the telephone and call.) There are also plenty of knowledgeable people on the Emotiva forum that are there to help. The UMC-1 can be complicated to the novice user, but once set up (and you understand it), it's sweet.

Just sayin'.....

No offense......but I guess there is nothing wrong with suggesting a buggy pre-pro with more firmware updates than you shake a stick at. Along with the fact that their are Leggo user manuals which contain more useful information than the one that goes out with these units.

And couple this with the fact that there are AVR's that can make better pre-pro's for less than or equal to this price range.

Just Sayin.

·
Registered
14,791 Posts
I had the UMC-1 for a short while and returned as I decided to stay with my 886. There is a new FW coming out that was mentioned earlier that does look promising. The one concern I would have is the difficulty that many UMC-1 owners seem to have when updating the FW. I thought about picking up a used UMC-1 at a great price but the FW update process is not for a computer challenged person like myself

Bill

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
The unit is full of bugs. I returned one. My friend and his wife are complaining about it when in use. Every week there is something new. His remote stopped working. I told him to return it but he didn't listen. He can't now, so I have to hear his buggy stories.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
You can get this information from reading about the UMC 1. Is this the biggest joke? I will not pay $100.00 the buggy.

"Re: Real price of the UMC-1

UMC-1 through high end B&M shops ----- $2695

UMC-1 through factory authorized online dealer ----- $2695

UMC-1 through non-authorized online dealer ----- $2249

Add shipping and tax as applicable"

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD /forum/post/19560598

You can get this information from reading about the UMC 1. Is this the biggest joke? I will not pay $100.00 the buggy.

Huh? It's like $700 or thereabouts direct from emotiva.com.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Well hey, if I can get 2k for it, I can make a lot of money by buying low, and selling high.

Which makes me think...I need to find some old receiver model, and figure out how to write some sort of article on it, praising how it's sound was as good as models costing 10 times as much, and how the company making it realized they messed up and made it too good, and that was the last model like it.

Like how the Roland bass machine, or drum machines from back in the day suddenly became so popular years after, and became valuable.

Then I will sell them.

·
Registered
14,791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD /forum/post/19560598

For someone to post the above anywhere is not how should I put it........ in touch with reality
. To say that the UMC-1 is worth over $2K anywhere is not thinking clearly IMO. That would be saying that the UMC-1 is comparable to the Onkyo 5508, Integra 80.2, Marantz 8003 and 7005 which it is clearly not IMO. The UMC-1 is a great prepro for $700 but not at over $2K.

Maybe this person is thinking of the Sherbourn PT-7020A that is basically a UMC-1 with balanced outputs. If someone buys the PT-7020A without doing their homework then shame on them
. From the little I have read about the PT-7020A it is also having many of the same issues the UMC-1 is having.

http://www.sherbourn.com/home-theate...bourn-pt-7020a

This link has some interesting thoughts on the comparsion between the PT-7020A and the UMC-1.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/p...sor-first-look

Bill

·
Registered
555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD /forum/post/19560564

The unit is full of bugs. I returned one. My friend and his wife are complaining about it when in use. Every week there is something new. His remote stopped working. I told him to return it but he didn't listen. He can't now, so I have to hear his buggy stories.

Your issues with the UMC-1 are well documented both here and on the Emotiva Lounge. Again, your experiences were prior to the v7.02 firmware.

Has your friend attempted to update the firmware? You do have to do that occasionally (as you well know). If the firmware "was" updated, there was two versions of the code, one woulld render the original (plastic) remote useless. Emotiva replaced the original remote with an updated "metal" remote. All you have to do is call.....

All that I am saying to any of you is that if you were a user of the product PRIOR to firmware v7.02, yes the unit was very buggy. However, v7.02 fixed a lot of that. v7.02.05 looks to fix what remains and go beyond. If you've NEVER used the product, well...... I'll just leave it at that.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.