AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is another of Spielberg's more serious works, along with movies like Shindler's list, the Color Purple and Amistad.

It's the story of a young British boy, living in China during WWII. For some strange reason the British don't realize the seriousness of their situation, and before they can flee the country, are rounded up and put in Japanese internment camps. The story centers on a young Brit (Jimmy) who during the confusion is seperated from his family and has to deal with this shocking change of events on his own.

Christian Bale gives an outstanding performance as the young Briton, he is able to get across the snobbish spoiled child, who is then reduced to a frightened, confused lost child, then progressing to the clinging begger trying to survive, and lastly to the bold, confident survivor. All the while never loosing his sense of awe and child-like wonder.

This is truely one of the great child performances of all time...actually, you can strike the word child from the previous sentence, I'm not sure there are many adult actors that could put this off so well!

John Malkovich is excellent in his role as the American doing what he must to survive in this chaos, he wields a certain amount of power, and has no feeling or loyalty to others.

I found the video transfer to be very good, the colors were well saturated, the image was sharp without edge enhancement, detail was good.

I only listened to the 5.1 soundtrack, but found it to be clean and clear, most of it (if not all) is within the front sound stage, which is fine as there's nothing really happening in the rear anyway.

Truely an excellent movie with some wonderful characters and beautiful images.

I'm glad to finally add this to my collection.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I agree, this movie is a great piece of cinematic entertainment. And if you are a Spielberg fan and have not seen this movie, then go out and purchase or rent it, you won't be disappointed. I have not seen this movie on DVD as of yet, but I owned and watched it when it was released on laser, way back when. I will probably be adding this movie to my DVD library. The only Spielberg movie I would not want to own or even see again would be “Hookâ€, other then that I think Spielberg is the greatest director of all time.

Don

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Greatest of all time?

Well he's got range, and he'll tackle anything, no doubt he's high on a great list...but I could make that statement about 10 or 15 other directors too...Lean, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Kaufman just to start that list.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.