AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, well I was planning on going with dual MFW-15's (even with the problems). But, now the thing MLS.....forget it I guess. I really only want to spend $800, but I was willing to stretch to 950 or so for dual MFW-15's. So, the options I'm considering now are the Empire or F15. My room is 13 x 16 x 9 but it's completely open to my kitchen and a ~20 ft hallway. My listening preferences are about 60/40 music/ht.

I wish there were more FR graphs on either, so what do you guys think?

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Since you have a relatively small area, despite opening to a larger area, I think the F15 would have the edge on sound quality for your music listening. The Empire is no slouch, and possibly could have a bit of an edge with output for HT, although it's relatively new to the market and there's not much concrete data.

The VTF3.3 is no slouch (and I have a VTF3.2), but I would probably place it lower than the other two.

If it were me, I'd try to swing getting both, try out for a few weeks or whatever, and return one. Assuming they both allow returns. You might have to pay return shipping.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I personally have the Empire and it's awesome. For more music, I recommend a sealed design, like the Empire.

Also, check out the A7S - 450 from ED .

$850 shipped.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
The Rhythmik F15 is a sealed + servo design built for sound quality...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
O man, another choice, the A7S.......I had looked at it, but for some reason hadn't been considering it in the mix. I wonder what its freq response would be in room, especially eq'd on the low end....22Hz -3db un-eq'd seems pretty good.

If anyone with a F15 could chime in that would be great, specifically about output in the high teens. Supposedly it reaches into the mid-low teens, but with how much authority? I know its a more musical sub, but I still want something that gives some wow in HT use

I have never seen anything about the A7s-450 really. Anyone have one?

·
Registered
633 Posts
i replaced an outlaw lfm-1ex (essentially a hsu vtf3 clone) with an empire. also had an f15 on loan for a bit. same room (~3300ft^3), same electronics, same location, 3 different subs...

maybe i'm predisposed to the sealed sound, but the outlaw was a distant 3rd. i sold it off in favor of the empire. the F15 was here while a friend was between places...had it for an a/b with the outlaw, but not with the empire. it stomped the outlaw.

from memory, i would say that the f15 and empire are very similar musically, but the empire has an edge with movies due to higher output. on paper, the f15 digs deeper, but the empire plays louder. per REW, my single empire is pretty much flat to 15-17hz...good enough for me. and it never breaks a sweat. the midbass is crazy good, and if you want HT 'authority' you want displacement...2x15" trumps.

law of diminishing returns and all...there may be better performing subs (submersive?), but you'd probably be splitting hairs. for the current price i promise you that the empire is an absolute steal.

·
Registered
653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tythebigd /forum/post/18259080

Just ordered an Empire. Ill post some updates when it comes in

Rock on. You should be happy with it. Expect it within 4-5 buisness days from shipping.

·
Registered
702 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie1 /forum/post/18258696

outlaw lfm-1ex (essentially a hsu vtf3 clone)

Just for the record, this statement is incorrect. The VTF-3 MK3 has larger heavily flared ports (dual 4" ports vs dual 3" ports) that bend internally in the cabinet. The orientation of the driver/ports is different (which can subjectively make a difference in some setups). Also, the VTF subs have had some enhancements made to the amplifier and enclosure within the last couple years.

Congrats on your purchase ty

·
Registered
702 Posts
All is well lalakersfan, thank you! I have been extremely busy with work. Hope things are going well for you too!

·
Registered
861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tythebigd /forum/post/18257881

If anyone with a F15 could chime in that would be great, specifically about output in the high teens. Supposedly it reaches into the mid-low teens, but with how much authority? I know its a more musical sub, but I still want something that gives some wow in HT use

one?

PM sent.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
First impressions, very nice. Spent a bunch of time last night moving it around and then EQ'ing. Got it flat to 17hz. Sound is very tight, clean and fast.

But..... wife said I cant put it where I have it, haha. So back to the corner and see what I can do to fix some nulls in that position.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
So it's non negotiable?!? Thats a tight ship she runs there :p .

Oh, congrats on the purchase.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
She basically said the negotiating was me getting it, negotiating where it goes isnt an option rofl.

I didnt think it looked all that bad in the front corner. There was a plant on top of it and everything, looked good me
Too bad also. Here is the FR after a bit of eqing:

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Looks very nice, good job on the eq. Do you have a before and after comparison graph (click on the Measured tab to show both on one graph).

Is that in the off-limits location, or where you have to put it?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Try some different crossover settings on your speakers. I always had mine set to 80 before the Empire but think the system sounds overall better with them set to 100, despite my speakers being very capable to 80. The Empire is extremely capable with its midbass and switching to 100 made noticable improvement for me.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondino /forum/post/18257720

I personally have the Empire and it's awesome. For more music, I recommend a sealed design, like the Empire.

Also, check out the A7S - 450 from ED .

$850 shipped.

Have you heard the A7s-450? Can you compare it to the Empire?

·
Registered
653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow /forum/post/18318254

Have you heard the A7s-450? Can you compare it to the Empire?

No, I own dual empires. I suggested that one based on the good feedback I've read and the OP's needs.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts