AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
452 Posts
I have to say I'm disappointed.


I'll start off by saying that I havent had a chance to watch the full movie yet, but for it being the highest priced BD I've bought ($34.99) and from a studio with such great releases (Transporter 2, Crank), this one just doesnt seem to look that good. So many things that I noticed looking incredible on Crank/Trans. 2 just look blurred and full of noise on EotM. I watched about 30 minutes of it and just wished I saved $20 and bought the DVD.


With that said, I cant compare it to the DVD or Theater since this is the first time I've seen it. It could very well have been intended to look this way.. but as far as "wow factor" and quality goes, I just don't see it in this title. I will watch it but not until later this week.. my opinion may change but so far the video quality is about a 3/5. I also dont expect any great audio considering its a comedy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofdec7 /forum/post/0


I have to say I'm disappointed.


I'll start off by saying that I havent had a chance to watch the full movie yet, but for it being the highest priced BD I've bought ($34.99) and from a studio with such great releases (Transporter 2, Crank), this one just doesnt seem to look that good. So many things that I noticed looking incredible on Crank/Trans. 2 just look blurred and full of noise on EotM. I watched about 30 minutes of it and just wished I saved $20 and bought the DVD.


With that said, I cant compare it to the DVD or Theater since this is the first time I've seen it. It could very well have been intended to look this way.. but as far as "wow factor" and quality goes, I just don't see it in this title. I will watch it but not until later this week.. my opinion may change but so far the video quality is about a 3/5. I also dont expect any great audio considering its a comedy

I will happily buy it off your for $15.00 !!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,632 Posts
too bad mister unfunny dane cook is in the movie.... god he is horrible
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,439 Posts
I saw it in the theatre, in a very new theatre too. I remember watching it and thinking "this looks kinda fuzzy...I hope the projector is just out of focus" But it looks like thats just how it was shot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVEN56706 /forum/post/0


too bad mister unfunny dane cook is in the movie.... god he is horrible

Unfunny? wow...thats a first i've heard, normally everyone thinks Dane is hillarious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTBuck1 /forum/post/0


Unfunny? wow...thats a first i've heard, normally everyone thinks Dane is hillarious.

I started off hating Dane with a passion. I would actually get annoyed to the point where I would have to turn it off or leave the room. Something changed me though I don't know, I think he is honestly one of the best comics period. I might get this movie just because... but the thought of hearing Jessica's witty comments in surround sound scares me
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,488 Posts
I just preordered because of Jessica and a "cute little romantic comedy" in the vein of The Forty Year Old Virgin sounds entertaining enough.


Actually I had no interest in this title at all, but I'm a total HD junkie. I was thinking "I might want to check that movie out, but the only way I'll do so is in HD so I might as well get the BD for $25 at amazon".


BDs are selling pretty good on ebay so if it's total crap I'll probably get at least $15 for it, probably $20. At that point it's pretty close to rental prices so I'm not really losing anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvcjbl /forum/post/0


I started off hating Dane with a passion. I would actually get annoyed to the point where I would have to turn it off or leave the room. Something changed me though I don't know, I think he is honestly one of the best comics period. I might get this movie just because... but the thought of hearing Jessica's witty comments in surround sound scares me

I never understood the hype around DC until the Vicious Circle hit HBOHD. Wow, that thing had me crying I was laughing so hard. Up til then, I had only seen bits and peices of his tourgasm show, and I was hardly impressed.


I will definately buy Vicious Circle should they choose to release that on BD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,761 Posts
Just finished watching this and while it's not up to Crank's PQ quality, it still looked pretty good. This also comes with a slipcase cover. I wonder if all Lion's Gate discs will have one now?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
452 Posts
I just got around to watching it in full and I have to say that my feelings towards it have improved since when I first "tested it" a few days ago. The quality is still nowhere near what I'd expect from HD, but it could've been worse. I still stand by my "Wish I bought the DVD instead and saved $20" message.


What made me upset though, was after watching it I decided to watch the special features (also in HD). The special features combined new footage as well as clips from the movie.. and the new (behind the scenes-type) footage just blows the movie footage away. It's just so much more crisp and colorful.. no grain or compression artifacts and so much more detail. I would've been so much more impressed if the movie had even been shot with whatever HD camera they used to film the behind the scenes features! This is one movie where I can honestly say the special features are almost reference quality
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,722 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofdec7 /forum/post/0


I just got around to watching it in full and I have to say that my feelings towards it have improved since when I first "tested it" a few days ago. The quality is still nowhere near what I'd expect from HD, but it could've been worse. I still stand by my "Wish I bought the DVD instead and saved $20" message.


What made me upset though, was after watching it I decided to watch the special features (also in HD). The special features combined new footage as well as clips from the movie.. and the new (behind the scenes-type) footage just blows the movie footage away. It's just so much more crisp and colorful.. no grain or compression artifacts and so much more detail. I would've been so much more impressed if the movie had even been shot with whatever HD camera they used to film the behind the scenes features! This is one movie where I can honestly say the special features are almost reference quality

My guess is : the movie was shot on film and the extras was a HDV type HD camcorder.


Yup. A lot of people don't seem to like film. It's like a groundswell of people who like acrylic over oils now.



AND... digital cameras have replaced the film ones. So the future is digital.!


I considered all aspects and find fine grain to be a plus. It's the artifacts that come from a mix of low bitrates and too much grain that I don't like.


And fake grain added to video has got to be one of the strangest things anyone would do to a movie.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top