AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With Frys sale on the Energy RC line, I can pick up the RC-70 for the front, a RC-LCR for a center and RC-10 for surrounds and was going to get a SVS PB1000 for sub duties. I was also looking at the Emptek speakers, in that case I would get the e55ti towers, the larger center, the rear bookshelves for surround duty and the 1010i subwoofer duty...This would cost about $300 less than the Energy/SVS surround sound package. Which ones would you guys choose? Which one is a better speaker? Any opinion would be greatly appreciated as I don't know which one to go with. Thanks

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
I own the EMPtek impression towers and the 1010i sub. Very clear and detailed speakers with great midrange, but overall o would call them fairly neutral. Very good for music, but really excell at HT applications!

The 101oi sub I used to replace a klipsch rw12d and it is a much better sub. Clear and accurate, it won't put out the total output of a really good 12 inch sub, but sounds great for a mid sized room or smaller!

The EMP impression series have a beautiful fake wood finish and just look great!

EMPtek has outstanding customer service and a 30 day trial, but you will have to pay return shipping if you return them. I haven't heard the energy speakers, so...

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
+1. There is nothing in the price rance of the EMP impressions that can compete with them. I've been in audio for half a century and I've never heard anything as good as the EMP towers for under $2000 per pair. But to be fair I've never heard an Energy speaker.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow that's a pretty bold statement. I know the Energy speakers used to be $2000 per pair so I am wondering if they imply better materials. From the reviews I found, they both seem to be neutral to warm in sound.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
If you listen to a pair of PSB Image T6 speakers, you will probably change your mind.

Both Stereophile and The Absolute Sound siad thay were the best-sounding speakers in that price range, and also featured them in "Recommended Systems" articles.

No Energy speaker I know of even comes close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW  /t/1511086/emptek-or-energy-rc#post_24194022

+1. There is nothing in the price rance of the EMP impressions that can compete with them. I've been in audio for half a century and I've never heard anything as good as the EMP towers for under $2000 per pair. But to be fair I've never heard an Energy speaker.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
I have heard the emp trek tower side by side versus the psb image t5 and the EMP was every bit as good as the psb, in my and 3 other peoples opinions! I have compared my emp side by side with def tech 8080, Polk m75t, Pioneer AJ, Ascend acoustic cmt 340s and the image t5. None was better, of course, in my opinion!

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1511086/emptek-or-energy-rc#post_24194215

If you listen to a pair of PSB Image T6 speakers, you will probably change your mind.

Both Stereophile and The Absolute Sound siad thay were the best-sounding speakers in that price range, and also featured them in "Recommended Systems" articles.

No Energy speaker I know of even comes close.

Is that a wild guess? I'm not likely to be swayed by anything either of those magazines write. Let me know when you've heard the EMP impressions and then we'll talk about comparisons. I'm not suggesting the speakers you favor aren't good or better or comparable. I'm just wondering how you make an assertion like that without any personal experience. I stand by what I said. No I haven't heard all the speakers. I just haven't heard anything better at under $2000 per pair.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Wild guess? Without personal experience? Where do you get that nonsense?

I had the Image T6 speakers for two years, until I bought a pair of Vandersteen Treo speakers.

My opinion IS based on my personal experience with both speakers.

The only thing that comes close to the T6 IMO for under $2000 IMO is the KEF Q900, but they cost $1900 and the T6 is $1300.

The Image T6 speakers sound better to me than any of the EMP speakers, which I HAVE listened to (and the T5 speakers are not nearly as good either; you can't judge the T6 by the T5).

Like I suggested....you might want to listen to them (and the KEF Q900). Then you can make up your own mind.

And as for Stereophile...I have found most of their opinions on speakers and equipment to be right on target. I don't accept what they say as gospel, but I find that they are quite accurate most of the time. I find the information there to be useful.

I probably would not have bought my Musical Fidelity M6PRX amplifier or my MF M1ViNL phono preamp if I had not learned about them originally from Stereophile, and in both cases they made my system sound significantly better. Ignoring information that might be useful is nothing to be proud of.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Like I said, Commsysman, I heard the PSB image t5, not the T6. However, the t6 is 600-700 dollars per speaker....the EMPtek E55Ti are 350 each. All I know is that for the price, the EMP speakers sound really good. I have yet to find a speaker that cost the same or slightly more that come close (the Ascend Acoutstic CMT340 might be the one...)!

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
I didn't realize that $1300 was out of the price range.

There is a deal that I just saw that should be interesting; Music Direct has the Focal Chorus 714V marked down from $1200 per pair to $720 per pair.

Those are some very good-sounding speakers.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1511086/emptek-or-energy-rc#post_24194468

Wild guess? Without personal experience? Where do you get that nonsense?

I had the Image T6 speakers for two years, until I bought a pair of Vandersteen Treo speakers.

My opinion IS based on my personal experience with both speakers.

I assumed you had never heard the EMP Impressions since you can't hear them in stores. Now that we know you have heard them, tell me about the comparison.

Sorry but Stereophile and TAS are nonsense to me from cover to cover. Stereophile does some useful testing but what they write is just as nonsensical as TAS. Nothing they say would convince me of anything. They are like a dreamland tour through hearing bias. I realize they have an audience but I'm not part of that audience and using them as a source for anything is pointless when talking to me.

So, tell me about your comparison of the T6 and the EMP.

·
Registered
354 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1511086/emptek-or-energy-rc#post_24194834

I didn't realize that $1300 was out of the price range.

There is a deal that I just saw that should be interesting; Music Direct has the Focal Chorus 714V marked down from $1200 per pair to $720 per pair.

Those are some very good-sounding speakers.

Do you listen to them in your car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1465749/thoughts-on-htd-arx-chorus#post_23140289

Focal is a car speaker company that has very few home audio products, and very limited distribution and support for their home audio products.

I would advise you to stay away from Focal until they start making more of a commitment to home audio products.

·
Banned
2,106 Posts
op, RC all the way.

Reactions: kaiforce
1 - 20 of 31 Posts