AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often have you opened up a blu-ray new from reputable store Amazon, Best Buy etc and found no disc or both disc missing?
Sealed package of course. I'm now at 2 in 3 years with about 60% of my 300 or so discs not even opened up yet. I've been scrambling to make sure I transfer the digital copy many include but with expiration dates. So far, seems like SONY has strictest expiration date , Fox the most lenient

·
Registered
778 Posts
It happened to me once and it was quite a shock. Fortunately, it was a minor title on sale that I had used to fill out a list of possible birthday presents. It was The Invisible (a Disney title, IIRC) purchased at Best Buy. Having bought over a thousand DVDs and a couple of hundred BDs, I'd never before encountered an empty package. It was sealed with the annoying security stickers still intact...and not a damn thing inside.

I have to say, I don't understand how you could have 60% of your collection unopened. I have about 280 discs and I've been buying BD for nearly 3 years so we have similar numbers of discs over a similar time frame. I open every disc as soon as I walk in the door. It's a precaution to make sure I got the right disc and it has no physical damage.

I can't imagine leaving a disc sealed in a package for any length of time.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch35
How often have you opened up a blu-ray new from reputable store Amazon, Best Buy etc and found no disc or both disc missing?
Sealed package of course. I'm now at 2 in 3 years with about 60% of my 300 or so discs not even opened up yet. I've been scrambling to make sure I transfer the digital copy many include but with expiration dates. So far, seems like SONY has strictest expiration date , Fox the most lenient
About 1000 DVD's, 300 BD, 100 HD DVD's and 3000 CD's I would say it has only happened a time or 2 since I bought my first CD in circa late 83.

Also what is the purpose of buying BD's and not watching them?
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad (not as much as the studio's though
) you are supporting the format but do you also keep a 3 year supply of toilet papper on hand?

·
Registered
811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by William /forum/post/19634494

Also what is the purpose of buying BD's and not watching them?

I can't speak for the OP, but in my case, when I know I want to buy a title, I try to stay pretty disciplined about only buying said title if/when it falls below a certain price point -- hence, my purchases are "lumpy" based on sales. For example, over the Cyber Monday deal with Amazon, I bought over 40 BDs at an average price of about $9. Most were re-buys and now I have a stack of 38 BDs at home waiting to be watched. This won't however, stop me from additional purchases of titles IF they're on sale (as they're prone to be around this time of year). Over time, I work my way through these purchases watching them all, but it may get "leap frogged" in terms of where it happens to be on my "I wanna' watch that" list . . . YMMV.

·
Registered
17,353 Posts
Although human error can account for a missing product, it is more likely to be a return that was re-sealed .. there are folks out there that are experts at this kind of thing and even have shrink wrap outfits to do it with ..

My son worked for Best Buy for a few years during the Holiday season while he was in college .. I was surprised to hear him relate stories about receivers, and other higher ticket returns that were discovered to have bricks in the box and what not ..

There are always scammers out there ..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.