AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed an awful lot of people in many threads holding out for the likes of the DTVPal for just the timer feature. Another option is to just use a learning remote with a timer built in instead (and get the best box instead of the only one with a timer...)

I have used (since about 1972) a learning remote that handles eight devices and has a clock in it. It is known as the Realistic 15-1901 (Memorex CP8 Turbo as well I hear) and can be had on eBay for a $15 "Buy It Now" price regularly. Just google it.

It will send any stream of commands to any/all of the eight devices by time. So turning on the CECB and setting channel, turning on the VCR/DVDR and starting the recording, etc, etc yields a lot of flexabiliy that a CECB timer cannot provide.

And being a learning remote you don't have to do the whole "IR Codes" thing. Add one IR repeater and the equipment doesn't even have to be in the same room!

I hope this steers people in a more enlightened direction than picking a box just because it has a timer ...

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Feel free to post other Make/Model numbers:

Realistic 15-1901 = 8-device unit

Realistic 15-1901A = 8-device unit

Realistic 15-1903 = 8-device unit

Memorex CP8 = 8-device unit

Memorex CP8 Turbo = 8-device unit

Sony RM-AX1400 = 12-device unit +USB Port (NO TIMER!, Sleep timer only)

SonyRMAX4000A = 16-device unit

I await an email as to whom makes this and what model it is:
http://www.newelectronx.com/proddeta...theater-remote

10-device unit

PDF Manuals, Etc:

Realistic 15-1901A
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...01a-manual.zip
http://support.radioshack.com/support_video/26219.htm

Realistic 15-1903
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...903-manual.zip
http://support.radioshack.com/support_video/26221.htm

·
Registered
11,578 Posts
Now that's a idea I hadn't though of. That way I could have the PQ of my CM-7000s with S-video out and the flexibility to record from multiple channels. I'd just have to make sure the remote was positioned in front or in line of site of the CECB. I'd also have to make sure no one bumps the remote. People with cats(not me) may also have other worries. Their always jumping up on things bumping them over. I'd be PO'd if I came home to find the cat had bumped the remote on the floor and all my programs had recorded a blank screen. But it's sure a idea I hadn't thought of before, I didn't realize they had such a device.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd have a tough time deciding whether to duct tape the cat or the remote

·
Registered
762 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThePeople /forum/post/14226148

I have noticed an awful lot of people in many threads holding out for the likes of the DTVPal for just the timer feature.

Another option besides a learning remote is a CECB that can be controlled with your computer like the Tivax.

The clock on the DTVPal is not 100% accurate and only has 5 timers.

A computer's clock can be a lot more accurate and have a LOT of timers.

All a person would need is the cable and a program like autoit to send the zmon commands at the appropriate time.

It could also change the zoom level unlike the DTVPal's timer.

The AutoIt program could also interface with a online guide like TitanTV to get the appropriate times and channels.

The drawback's are the program has not been written to do this yet

(I would have thought other Forum Members also know how to program), and the use of a nearby computer and null cable is needed.

Just another suggestion besides a learning remote.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You have a good point on that one. But perhaps the suggestion lacks the application of the K.I.S.S principle.

(Almost) all motherboards, and all laptops have IR link ports. Sending IR codes with a small program puts us back in the "ANY" box arena again.

And the Desktop/Laptop doesn't have to be near it. IR ports that only send can be hundreds of feet of cheap speaker wire with an infrared L.E.D. and current limitng resistor at the end...

Now if we could only get all these dumb-ass networks to use the same (Atomic) clock! My market has a approximately a 3:45 spread from one station to the other at It's farthest two ends of the off-time ruler. No excuse for that in this day and age! Timebase generators and syncronization units by the rack full, and they CAN'T even get onboard with "Real" time... Go figure!

Oh, all the PBS stations (that also auto-update my DVDR/VCR clocks) are dead on by my PC's clock that is auto-updated by online atomic standard. At least someone has a clue in the networks. Wonder what the DTV impact will be on these off-time stations considering the new digital standard INCLUDES time data in all It's streams? I mean, there Isn't one CECB I've read about here that asks what station you want to auto-update the CECB's clock by... Big mess if you ask me when it comes to actually recording stuff. I've recorded from 5 minutes before scheduled start to 5 minutes after scheduled finish for 3 decades due to this problem (First VHS VCR = JVC's HR-3300 -- Introduced in the Fall of 1977).

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Admin/Mod,

Could you please update my thread name?

Emulating CECB Timer Function By Remote

To:

Emulating CECB Timer Function By Remote/PC

Thank in advance for expanding the scope of the discussion so we don't have to open a new thread just for PC's

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThePeople /forum/post/14230557

Admin/Mod,

Could you please update my thread name?

Emulating CECB Timer Function By Remote

To:

Emulating CECB Timer Function By Remote/PC

Thank in advance for expanding the scope of the discussion so we don't have to open a new thread just for PC's

Done.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/14230587

Done.

TY very much Ken!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hey WeThePeople,

Great idea! Thanks for "thinking outside the CECBox"!

·
Registered
148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThePeople /forum/post/14230444

You have a good point on that one. But perhaps the suggestion lacks the application of the K.I.S.S principle.

(Almost) all motherboards, and all laptops have IR link ports. Sending IR codes with a small program puts us back in the "ANY" box arena again.

They used to. Irda is now completely obsolete and is no longer included in most new computers and laptops. Even when it was included, compatibility with remote controls was not guaranteed. The easiest method these days is to build a serial port based ir transmitter assuming the computer still has a serial port. Many laptops longer have them. USB based IR transmitters are available, but they are harder to find let alone ones that are not chained to a proprietary piece of software. Some video capture cards had IR transceivers, but once you've got an ATSC tuner card, you no longer need to record on your VCR.

Linux gurus can use lirc found at http://www.lirc.org to implement their solution. Windows users have various software to use which I am not familiar with. The simplest serial port based devices are the ones most likely to be supported by the widest range of software.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
11,578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThePeople /forum/post/14230444

(First VHS VCR = JVC's HR-3300 -- Introduced in the Fall of 1977).

I always wanted one of those SP only units. Closest I got was a HR-6700 which was a couple years later. It was 2/6 hour but of course had 2 heads dedicated for each speed. They sure don't "make em like that anymore"
Mine haven't seen power for probably 10 years.

Sorry to get OT, but you started it

I like the IR idea, it will work with ANY cecb, not just ones with serial ports.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm still looking at that remote with the USB port. Best of both worlds.

Is a learning device, and USB port ultra-programmable for clarity.

Also the setup can be backed up to a file in case.

Reviews:
http://www99.epinions.com/content_306747969156
http://www99.epinions.com/content_264918044292

PDF Manual:
http://www.docs.sony.com/reflib/docg...0,'Manuals

Ten bucks:
http://www.consumerdepot.com/products.asp?id=RMAX1400R

UPDATE: OH CRAP..I GOOFED...NO CLOCK/TIMER only a sleep timer!!!

(And...best picture I ever got wasn't Super-VHS...it was SUPER-BETA
)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ok, so we can make a programmable remote or a PC output IR, so we can control any CECB and any recording device (or other IR receiving device). The cat can be spared losing its fur to the duct tape by using an RF remote/transmitter and then an RF receiver hooked to a blaster or two. Who has the software to make it happen for those without the time and/or ability to DIY?

Does anybody have a software solution to tie in TVGOS or some other program guide so we can select to record by program rather than manually entering program data? With MCE, Sage, or other is there any way to use the guide info to trigger IR events? I suppose if you have MCE or Sage you'd have an HTPC or PVR already, so would any of this be necessary?

Has this been discussed over at remotecentral yet? If so, could someone paste a link to the threads?

·
Registered
21 Posts

Quote:
Realistic 15-1901 = 8-device unit

Realistic 15-1901A = 8-device unit

Realistic 15-1903 = 8-device unit

Memorex CP8 = 8-device unit

Memorex CP8 Turbo = 8-device unit

Does anyone know what the differences are between these remotes?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Only timer in that one turned out to be a sleep (off only) timer...

I posted that a few posts up as a correction BTW:

"UPDATE: OH CRAP..I GOOFED...NO CLOCK/TIMER only a sleep timer!!!"

·
Registered
21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThePeople /forum/post/14271380

Only timer in that one turned out to be a sleep (off only) timer...

I posted that a few posts up as a correction BTW:

"UPDATE: OH CRAP..I GOOFED...NO CLOCK/TIMER only a sleep timer!!!"

Maybe you should edit the original post, so silly people like me won't miss that.
Sorry about that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts