AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched a bit and found some useful info, but nothing that exactly fits my situation, so I thought I would ask the experts. You might tell me this post it more suited for the loudspeaker forum, but I thought I would start here.

I am in the process of finishing my basement and I want to build a built-in entertainment center that will house all my equipment, TV and speakers.

I have attached a pic of something similar to what I am shooting for, except I won't have room for a false wall behind the columns. I plan to make each column about 24 inches wide and 20 inches deep, so they will be fairly large.

I have attached another pic of a very crude rendering of what I plan to create. This rendering shows the right column door open with the speaker inside. What I plan to do a bit different than what I have seen on here, is instead of covering the front of the columns with panels wrapped in GOM, I was thinking of just making the whole front a door and open them up when I want to watch a movie or listent to music (probably be 90% HT anyway).

My question becomes, will the size of my columns with the front being open allow me to use speakers such as Ascend 340's or Rocket 450's? Both of these are rear ported and I can treat the inside of the columns with whatever I would need to do to help with sound. I am not an audiophile by any means, but I do want these to still sound great. I would be able to create some type of opening along the sides of these columns, side nearest the screen (which will be a TV mounted on wall) if this would help. I could probably leave the entire space open and cover with fabric, but maybe the sides being open is not an issue. I plan to mount the TV on the wall between the columns and place the center speaker on the top of the cabinet below the TV.

Sorry for the long post, but do you think I can get decent sound from this enclosure (being that it is bigger than most columns)? Do you see any advantages to one of these speakers over the other (outside of the fact that these are different speakers), but I was thinking maybe one would perform better in a tight space over the other. Is there any advantage to having the front open vs. just having a GOM panel? Or the side open for that matter? I am also thinking about using one of the columns above the speaker as a AV Rack (just a few components). Thanks for any advice you can give.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Hey that theater looks familiar!

With ported speakers, I believe you need more than 20" if that includes the depth of the speakers. 20" from the back of the speaker to the wall may be sufficient, but probably not if that includes the speakers. You could always go with the Ascend HTM-200s which are not ported. They're really designed as surrounds, but they're not ported. I'm sure there are lots of good non-ported speakers you can use for the front.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL...yeah I really like the way your theater turned out and my space is similar. I had another idea with regards to what I was thinking with the front speakers and being enclosed in a column...the text below is from a post in the speaker forum, but wondered what you guys think about my idea below...

Quote:
hhmmm...the front ported could be an idea. I'm really not interested in getting in-wall speakers...i would nix the column idea before I did that, just a personal preference. I did have another thought and wondered what you guys think. What if I built a pedestal, maybe 24 inches high, this would act as a speaker stand for the speaker. I think at this point I'm OK with the sound.

The pedastal would be set against the wall and speaker would be placed toward the front of the pedestal, which would mean the back of the speaker would be about 12-15 inches or so off the back wall. I still think I am pretty good with sound at this point. I'm envisioning something like the Ascend 340

Now, imagine I extend 4 posts (2x3 lumber or something) from each corner of the pedastal straight up to the ceiling. I would plan to cover the 2 by lumber with something like drywall or hardwood (depending on the look I wanted), but in the end only the posts would be covered...I would still have a large portion of open space all the way around the speaker (all 4 sides).

Now, for asthetics...I would build some type of wood frame with speaker cloth stretched across that would now cover all of the open areas of my column. Would this set-up hinder my sound greatly or at all?

·
Registered
622 Posts

Quote:
Now, imagine I extend 4 posts (2x3 lumber or something) from each corner of the pedastal straight up to the ceiling. I would plan to cover the 2 by lumber with something like drywall or hardwood (depending on the look I wanted), but in the end only the posts would be covered...I would still have a large portion of open space all the way around the speaker (all 4 sides).

Now, for asthetics...I would build some type of wood frame with speaker cloth stretched across that would now cover all of the open areas of my column. Would this set-up hinder my sound greatly or at all?

This kind of a setup should not compromise the sound too much. Wrapping the speakers in an acoustically transparent fabric "box" shouldn't affect the highs or mids too much, and would avoid cavity resonances that would be a problem with a hard-walled enclosure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts