AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tl;DR: Want recommendation for bookshelf speakers that will actually be placed in a bookshelf. Want to make sure the mid-bass resonance in the bookshelf isn't an issue and the enclosed nature doesn't neuter a speaker. Open to any recommendations ~ $500 (and under) per speaker.

Been lurking a while and wanted to ask a fairly specific question of the knowledgable users here. Lest you ask, I did lots of searches which helped educate me but didn't directly address this issue.

I currently have a Marantz SR5007 and some ML Motion 4s L &R, a motion 6 for a center, and an older Dynamo 500 for a sub. They sound good to me but really lack midrange which hurts movie/TV watching (dialog in particular). So, I'm searching for some bookshelf speakers with some decent mid-range that doesn't sacrifice the highs.

My supporting cabinetry is setup so my L/C/R will be on a shelf that is enclosed. I have this but have moved the bookshelf towers out ~12 inches on each side and removed the cross beam on top: http://www.hootjudkins.com/sites/default/files/graphics/MARCN491BR_970_360__8900.jpg

I will use matching L/C/R speakers in this and my reading/research has lead me to speakers with a front port or no port. My concern is resonance inside of the bookshelf for some of my top contenders. Secondarily, some speakers just won't work well in an enclosed space like this.

I had a chance to listed to the Q300s with a Marantz AVR and the imaging sounded great. I understand they don't like to be enclosed so wondered if this is an issue. No ability to take home and try with the local dealer. The GoldenEar Aon3s sounded great in person but the amp was an Integra so hard to tell how it would sound with a Marantz. I was particularly concerned with the bass radiators making a mess of the mids. I'm also considering the Def Tech StudioMonitor 55 and a handful of other sets that are similar.

I have about $1500 to spend on a matching set for L/C/R (or $500/speaker).

So, experienced AVSF members, what's your recommendation? Any other model/brand that would really fit the bill?

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

I hadn't seen the BA cabinet speaker but had looked into the NHT (which seems to have good reviews).

Anyone know how the NHT compares to the Q300 in imaging and bass response? The Q300s really impressed me with imaging which would be great for home theater....but if they won't work well in a cabinet, I might have to find another option....

...Like the Aon3! I listened to it compared to the B&W CM5 and I thought the Aon was a bit nicer for me. The highs were great and the mid-bass was impressive. Any issues related to the bass radiator in a bookshelf.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went with the Aon2s (they fit better than the Aon3 in the bookshelf) and I love them! Great bass response, good imaging (not quite as good as the Q300), and excellent as a center channel.

Still breaking them in but will update in 50-ish hours!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts