AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Just wanting a little advice if I can. In the late planning stages of the room and looking for a way to deal with a mini split air conditioning head mounted in my room. I was considering building a soffit to enclose the device, which would hide it. I'm going to fabric line the room and ceiling. Obviously was not going to fabric over the air discharge- may need to source a vent louvre or similar. Anyone have any experience with this or other recommendations? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gday Big. Thanks for your reply. Two problems. One is I am on a budget and already have the split installed (pics on my thread). Secondly, the crawl space in my roof is minimal. The builders, 50 years ago, compromised roof space for ceiling height. Nice to have high ceilings but a bugger for insulation, wiring etc. So, only real option is to leave what I have and try to disguise it as best I can.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,563 Posts
I've always thought that painting the case to match the surrounding wall would help disguise those units. I would think that you could pull off the soffit design provided you leave enough breathing space. You could stick up some temporary boards just around the unit to simulate the soffit and see what impact it has.

Keep in mind that drawing/pushing air through fabric will turn it into a dust filter.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your advice Big. Am just going to build the room first and then worry about trying to hide it (soffits or otherwise). Just one more question re the split. I am literally a week or two away from tearing down the drywall and starting to get this project moving. The split is already on the wall. I will be double drywalling the room with GG and clips. It is going to be much simpler to leave the ac unit in place, cut the existing drywall around it and caulk and reline around the unit. I know that this will be a weak point in the room for isolation but is it likely to make futile the other measures I am taking? Worst case scenario is that I take the unit down after evacuating gas, drywall and then reinstall and regas the split. Pita and would rather avoid it. what's the concensus???

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,563 Posts
I have no hands on experience but I wonder if you could simply unfasten it from the wall and hold it a few inches out and slip your wall construction behind. If there is any slack in the lines it may work.

Spit the drywall in the area of the piping and slide around from both sides.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Big. Great idea. Will try that as as much as I don't want to move the split I think it is going to leak sound way too much if I don't.

Cheers

·
Registered
617 Posts
The units I have almost the entire front of the units tips up to change the filter plus by the time you leave enough room open for the return air you really can not cover much. Also might want to keep in mind that if it ever requires service if the soffit can not be unscrewed getting it serviced could be expensive.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All good points. Thanks guys. Looks like I may look at painting the cover and forgetting the soffit. Still deciding on the wall fabric color but leaning towards aubergine / purple. Mmmm, a purple minisplit. Nice!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Soffits are the way to go I reckon. Just build a frame and cover in fabric to match the soffit, no need to over engineer it, just hide it.

Otherwise build custom ducts for any outlets or returns in the unit and cover it all up nice.

Someone has a room that is green with a well hidden mini-split. I cant for the life of me recall who or find it (I had it archived somewhere......)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts