AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*I also posted this in the Dedicated Theater Forum*

I've searched a bit and found some useful info, but nothing that exactly fits my situation, so I thought I would ask the experts.

I am in the process of finishing my basement and I want to build a built-in entertainment center that will house all my equipment, TV and speakers.

I have attached a pic of something similar to what I am shooting for, except I won't have room for a false wall behind the columns. I plan to make each column about 24 inches wide and 20 inches deep, so they will be fairly large.

I have attached another pic of a very crude rendering of what I plan to create. This rendering shows the right column door open with the speaker inside. What I plan to do a bit different than what I have seen on here, is instead of covering the front of the columns with panels wrapped in GOM, I was thinking of just making the whole front a door and open them up when I want to watch a movie or listent to music (probably be 90% HT anyway).

My question becomes, will the size of my columns with the front being open allow me to use speakers such as Ascend 340's or Rocket 450's? Both of these are rear ported and I can treat the inside of the columns with whatever I would need to do to help with sound. I am not an audiophile by any means, but I do want these to still sound great. I would be able to create some type of opening along the sides of these columns, side nearest the screen (which will be a TV mounted on wall) if this would help. I could probably leave the entire space open and cover with fabric, but maybe the sides being open is not an issue. I plan to mount the TV on the wall between the columns and place the center speaker on the top of the cabinet below the TV.

Sorry for the long post, but do you think I can get decent sound from this enclosure (being that it is bigger than most columns)? Do you see any advantages to one of these speakers over the other (outside of the fact that these are different speakers), but I was thinking maybe one would perform better in a tight space over the other. Is there any advantage to having the front open vs. just having a GOM panel? Or the side open for that matter? I am also thinking about using one of the columns above the speaker as a AV Rack (just a few components). Thanks for any advice you can give.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
IMHO.... enclosing any speaker in the fashion you describe is not a good idea. First of all, most speakers today are ported. That port is for tuning the speaker down to a certain frequency. Air (and thus sound) comes out of that port and will be trapped (for the most part) within that enclosure - "muddying up" the sound.

Second would be the resonances from the enclosure itself. Unless you build the enclosure to be ultra rigid (like out of 3/4" baltic birch plywood) and then covering it with absorbtion membranes.... you will have the enclosure vibrating and thus resonating further muddying up the sound.

Third, would be the reflections off of the walls of the enclosure. These could be minimumized by having the front baffle of the speaker extend out beyond the enclosure itself.... but then that would defeat what you are trying to do.

So, what I would recommend in your situation is go with a speaker specificially designed for placement within an enclosure (sorry, I don't have any recommendations, but there ARE some available), or go with inwalls that have their own enclosures and simply mount them within your columns.

But, putting regular speakers within an enclosed column.... no, no and no. I would not recommend it. Especially if you actually want to understand any dialog (especially) while watching movies.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info...I'm wondering if I left one of the sides open, similar to one of the attached pics. The idea of what I am proposing is very similar to this set up, except I was not thinking of leaving the side open, but if that would make or break the sound...I would do it or put some type of frabic panel up (similar to what the curtains are doing). From what I can see, these speakers are surrounded by a solid surface on 2 sides (back wall and one side). They are open to the front and one of the sides, plus I believe they are the Ascend 340's, one of the speakers I was considering. There doesn't look to be more than maybe 12-18 inches of space behind the speaker. I notice this is a very popular set up, so sound quality must not be much of an issue with this set up?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryecohen /forum/post/15596537

Get "In-Wall" speakers, they are designed to be mounted the way you want.

Problem solved.

Exactly.... Why try to "shoe-horn" something into where it's not designed to go and "hope" it sounds good?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Maybe you should contact a professional custom HT installer and see what they recommend for situations like this. I'm sure there are speakers designed to be placed inside a cabinet or enclosure that will sound just fine. But, again, IMHO.... what you are attempting to do (whether leaving the "sides" open or not) will not lead you to HT audio nirvana.

Just my $0.02, YMMV, FWIW, IMHO and all that.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Look into something front ported like the KEF iQx line.

iQ9 are available at accessories4less at $850 / pair

iQ7 are available at Vanns for $180 - $200 per speaker

But move fast before they are sold out and you have to buy the iQx0 line.

Edit: The iQ7 are ~36" tall; the $180 price is deal of the day for maple, they will go back to $200 tomorrow until they are gone.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryecohen /forum/post/15596537

Get "In-Wall" speakers, they are designed to be mounted the way you want.

Problem solved.

but what you get for the buck decreases with such speakers.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hhmmm...the front ported could be an idea. I'm really not interested in getting in-wall speakers...i would nix the column idea before I did that, just a personal preference. I did have another thought and wondered what you guys think. What if I built a pedestal, maybe 24 inches high, this would act as a speaker stand for the speaker. I think at this point I'm OK with the sound.

The pedastal would be set against the wall and speaker would be placed toward the front of the pedestal, which would mean the back of the speaker would be about 12-15 inches or so off the back wall. I still think I am pretty good with sound at this point. I'm envisioning something like the Ascend 340

Now, imagine I extend 4 posts (2x3 lumber or something) from each corner of the pedastal straight up to the ceiling. I would plan to cover the 2 by lumber with something like drywall or hardwood (depending on the look I wanted), but in the end only the posts would be covered...I would still have a large portion of open space all the way around the speaker (all 4 sides).

Now, for asthetics...I would build some type of wood frame with speaker cloth stretched across that would now cover all of the open areas of my column. Would this set-up hinder my sound greatly or at all?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts