AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to put a television on my back porch. I have a 35" Sony that is the perfect candidate. My porch is big enough where I wouldn't have to worry about rain, but I am concerned about other forms of moisture in the air which I know would destroy the tv. I was wondering if anyone knows of an enclosure that would keep the moisture out when the tv is not in use. A tv of this size would be hard to move in and out all of the time. If I can't find something, I will probably just build something.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
If I were doing it I would find a small miltary conex box (water-proof), or find a solid plastic enclosure/box from a camping/hunting shop. Modify it by drilling a 1" whole saw opening for the cabling and use a water-proof bushing. Something has to be made out there big enough for your TV. Just be creative and find a conservative dark color.

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
There are two companies that I am aware of that manufacturer outdoor TV enclosures, Peerless Industries and Lucasey. You can find information on both of their web sites. Both are between $1000 - $2000 and keep in mind that they are truly waterproof which also means soundproof - so you will need to connect outdoor speakers to your TV and mount them outside of the cabinet.

p.s. I just re-read your post and see mositure is your primary concern. I know that both manufacturers provide heater options (for use in cold weather) and I believe Lucasey *may* also manufacturer something specifically meant to address moisture.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
If it doesn't get wet at all, you probably will be ok as is. I remember a million years ago we had a screen house, it was outdoors with screens all around, we had a tv in there that lasted 15 years maybe longer.

You might want to cover it or just bring it indoors during the winter months. If you are really concerned, you can go to a glass company and build a glass box to fit over the TV.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Horizontal rain may not hit it, but condensation may. Remember, even a nail in a plastic bag can rust.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.