AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here are my requirements and some background...

Let's say I have unlimited storage space.

I would like to rip/extract/encode all DVDs to play on my WDTV.

I only want the main feature, at its native resolution, only want English 5.1 audio, and only want the subtitles that usually come out automatically (like when the bad guys are speaking Russian in an action movie, or aliens in Star Wars).

What is the easiest / quickest way to do this?

For years I was using DVD Decrypter and AutoGK and making Xvids. My files usually were 900MB to 4GB. I recently switched to AnyDVD and Handbrake and was using High Quality preset with 100% quality to MKV with AC3. This typically gave me 8-9GB files. I read that DVDs themselves are compressed 80% or so so decompressing them and using 100% would generate larger files. Then I saw the preset of 61% and read that this is 'good enough'. Issues I have with Handbrake on this setting are for SD movies I get black lines with any kind of movement (interlacing issue?) and the same with TV episodes. I checked the TV preset and saw it had the Decomb and Detelecine boxes checked.

I am sure this information is covered elsewhere but there are just too many posts out there for me to filter through.

Additionally, what do the really high end users with 1000s of movies use for their systems? HTPC with .iso or .vob? I have given up on HTPC after repeated failures with HDCP / HDMI handshakes. My LG 42" will lock up after a while if we use VGA, and I am not sure it is the best quality device for upscaling my content, and if I use HDMI on my Asus motherboard any time I switch inputs ran to the LG or my Onkyo 607 I end up losing HDCP and have to reboot or it switches back to some really low resolution. After spending $1000s on my system I am really disheartened and my girlfriend is too. I was using XP MCE 03 and switching to Windows7 has caused all of these HDCP issues.

· Registered
1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc74sj /forum/post/16846926

What is the easiest / quickest way to do this?

Use Handbrake.

Output settings: MKV, all boxes unchecked

Picture settings tab: auto crop, leave width/height blank, anamorphic=none, decomb enabled, all other filters disabled.

Video tab: h.264 codec, framerate="same as source", enable 2-pass encoding and turbo first pass, set avg bitrate to 2000 (this is just about perfect quality and works out to ~1GB per hour) and leave target size blank.

Audio & Subtitles tab: Select the track you want and AC3 for the codec. The other options should be grayed out. Set subtitles to "autoselect" and make sure "forced subs only" is checked.

That's it. I don't know what the "really high end" users use, but DVDs encoded as above will look great on any device that can handle h.264.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
candre23, thanks for the reply. I did some more reading and saw that MakeMKV is perfect for my needs. No lengthy time encoding, just lets you deselect the stuff you don't want and leaves in the mpeg4 format the DVD came in. Files are large but I won't have any issue deleting the stuff I own. I may check with the average bitrate setting on Handbrake the next time I use it.

Heli Pilot, I am giving up on HTPC for now as the HDCP issue coupled with my LG tv freezing with VGA attached is just not doing it for my girlfriend and I. The WDTV is limited and ugly, but it plays the movies

· Registered
282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc74sj /forum/post/16849223

candre23, thanks for the reply. I did some more reading and saw that MakeMKV is perfect for my needs. No lengthy time encoding, just lets you deselect the stuff you don't want and leaves in the mpeg4 format the DVD came in.

MPEG-2, actually

Yes, MakeMKV is very useful for quickly getting a movie with chapters and/or subtitles into a single container. If space isn't a concern, it's a nice tool. (And you can use Handbrake on the MKV files to compress them further, if you decide to down the line.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.