AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some guidance and expertise.

I want to record sports events on DirecTV and then ultimately have them in MPEG format so that I can edit them as I see fit. It seems there is no means of getting such a recording onto a PC for editing in the digital domain from start to finish. This is because I can find no DirecTV DVR with supported networking that allows programs to be moved off the hard drive or written directly to a recorder.

Therefore, I will have to have some DirecTV receiver/DVR and then record the output through an analogue connection to a DVD Recorder. I could then take the DVD and rip to disk to edit.

I am wondering what the recording bit rate (quality) should be set to on the DVD Recorder. I love fast paced sports and I have never seen any artifacts or problems on the R10 DirecTV DVR I have. I wonder what bit rate it records at because surely it does not make sense to record on the the DVDR at a higher rate than the native rate of the Standard Definition R10.

Can anyone help me out here?

Finally, as a parting thought, would I be better off just feeding my DirecTV receiver output into a Series 2 DVR Tivo box so that I can then use the TIVO2GO networking feature and directly port the recorded program to my PC. I understand that a plug in is available to view TIVO recorded programs in Sonic's MYDVD software. This software can then convert them to MPEG 2 files for viewing and editing.

Any thoughts and help would be appreciated. I might consider posting this in multiple forums to catch anyone who has knowledge over a number of these areas.

Many thanks all,

Skirms

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
MPEG is a terrible format to use for editing. Great distribution format though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.