AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way for me to encode to x264 and have it not used 100% CPU? It wouldn't mind me if my fans weren't so loud ( about to order new ones), but once my CPU hits 100% it sounds like a airplane taking off. My CPU is only a Intel Pentium D 820 so it's not very strong. Please Help!

Thanks!

EDIT: Using Handbrake but can use other programs that'll work on Windows 7

·
Banned
350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pupsin /forum/post/18311438

Is there any way for me to encode to x264 and have it not used 100% CPU? It wouldn't mind me if my fans weren't so loud ( about to order new ones), but once my CPU hits 100% it sounds like a airplane taking off. My CPU is only a Intel Pentium D 820 so it's not very strong. Please Help!

Thanks!

EDIT: Using Handbrake but can use other programs that'll work on Windows 7

Have you tried lowering the priority of the process in the task manager?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Lowering the priority won't help with your CPU fan spinning up. By default, x264 will take as much CPU as it can which is usually 100%, sometimes less with 4 cores. The priority will only help in how responsive other programs are if you decide to do something else while encoding takes place.

Just going to have to suck it up with the noise problem. Only alternative would be to get a quieter CPU cooler, or upgrade your case fans to pull more heat out. Sorry!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
K, thanks for all your help, I can live with the noise. However, is there anyway for my Graphics Card to help with the encoding?

·
Registered
396 Posts
GPU acceleration is not widely supported yet. There have been a few implementations (Nero Move It & Badaboom) but there haven't been many documented results...just marketing hype at this point as far as I can tell.

Try google searches for the following terms for more info

h264 or x264, combined with cuda, opencl, gpgpu

·
Registered
111 Posts
Cyberlink Powerdirector can use GPU acceleration for encoding on either nvidia or ATI cards *as long as* your cards capable itself (it doesnt have to be expensive or especially new either, my cheapo $US100 2 year old 4850 card can do it)

Doing it on a cheap graphics card also took way less than half the time to encode the same video as compared to my quadcore CPU @ 3.8ghz/core! (they claim up to x5 times faster using DXVA over software on their website)

Works fine here anyway with AVCHD files my videocamera spits out and I did a quality comparison just the other day software vs hardware and my eyes cant see any quality differences although apparently in the past there was (so might be worth checking on if you decide to head down a videocard solution route)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts