AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have MyHD card in my PC. (It rocks :)).

I live in a mixed platform household network (2 Macs/ 3 PC's/1 Linux).

I wanna reencode some shows for storage & accessability from other computers in the network.

yes I've seen all the tutorials about converting .ts into WM9, but that won't fly in a mixed platform network.

I want to encode from a clean digital source... ie. from the transport stream into another standard that plays on all platforms: MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4, or something similar.

I can't use HD resolutions, 5.1 sound, or any of that. I'd like to downsample/downmix everything while encoding. Heck I could live with 320x240 res even. The encodings are for easy personal archiving and retrieval only. (Besides none of the computers in the household are fast enough for HD playback.). More on the lines of "Remember that funny SNL skit last week? Here check it out!"

The biggest factors are 1) universal playback and 2) fast encoding speeds. I know that downsampling will speed up the encoding, and the Mac does a decent job encoding mpeg4 via quicktime.

I just need to know what tools (even linux-based command-line tools, as I'm running OS X) can extract and decode the audio/video from a .ts stream.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Use the AVISynth method, just use TMPGEnc as the encoder instead of Windows Media.

In my experience you can encode MPEG-1 as high as 640 x 480 and still have it play back on most any platform (given a fast enough CPU, Windows and Mac included). It's perfectly legal to encode MPEG-1 at even higher resolutions. Windows will handle even 1280 x 720 or better. But Quicktime Player for Mac will not.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Simplist by far is to use HDTV2MPEG version 0.09. It doesn't really convert the file, but extracts the MPEG2 from inside the Transport stream. Once you have the MPEG2 file, you can further process it with other programs or leave it as is.

Some programs have some issues with the MPEG since it has AC3 audio instead of just stereo (ULead seems to handle it OK where Pinnacle Studio 8 does not).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.