AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excerpted from CableWorld, by K.C. Neel

From an interview with Bob Clasen, President of Sales and Marketing for Starz Encore Group.

CW: Have you modified your high-definition plans?

Clasen: High resolution is on the back burner, and Sharper Movies has been set aside for the time being. Encore HD will launch in the second quarter. And the Voom deal will make that service available as well. Operators clearly didn't want the high-res product. We were offering them an alternative to better manage their bandwidth. But the decision to go full HD has been made de facto.

Thanks to AVS member AlxStevens for the lead.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
This is the best part of that excerpt.

Quote:
Operators clearly didn't want the high-res product. We were offering them an alternative to better manage their bandwidth. But the decision to go full HD has been made de facto
Thanks Ken.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally posted by Linux23
This is the best part of that excerpt.

Thanks Ken.
Although I'd like to take full credit for this decision, to be candid, there were other influences that also were in play.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
lol...

I also like that part. Credit goes to Ken!

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
thanks for posting this..but my question is why does encore have to go HD?

how about starz-HD providing some HD first and then thinking about launching more channels?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hell, while they're at it...why not make the whole superpack HD. It's not like Starz HD shows any HD anyway...nobody would even notice, and the carriers can save LOADS of bandwidth!

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
They can put the HiRes channel on the back burner because half the movies on Starz HD are merely hi-res.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Quote:
And the Voom deal will make that service available as well.
Does this mean that VOOM has a deal already in placed for the channel? or Is he talking about something else?

·
Registered
45,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally posted by motjes2
Does this mean that VOOM has a deal already in placed for the channel?
I don't see how this comment could be interpreted differently.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Ken - Do you think that since Cablevision carries Starz they would also pick this up? Or is that a separate issue?

·
Registered
815 Posts
I was wondering the same for Cox....I get Encore now as one of my packages...couple channels of it actually. Be nice to see them add HD since they show a lot of Movies we actually watch......

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
You can see why Sharper Movies hasn't happened yet. Starz HD hardly has any HD movies, why would people pay for a HD channel that has similar content as INHD/HDNet and isn't even in HD.

Wonder if Comcast is going to have this. Actually I wonder if Comcast is going to add TMC-HD too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.