AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i never thought i'd see the day. For the first time in my 48 years on this planet, i no longer own a tube TV. It started when i replaced the 9" Philips tube TV on my desk with a 15" Sharp LCD TV, then moved my beloved 32" HD-ready Panny tube TV to another room when it was replaced by a 42" Panny Plasma, then came the replacement of the 13" Philips tube TV in my bedroom with a new 15" Samsung LCD TV which i later returned and replaced with an older model 20" Sharp LCD TV. I'm a hardcore tube TV fan but i really like the flat panel form factor so i am apparently willing to give up some PQ to get the flatness.

The final act was the selling of the 32" Panny HD tube last Sunday for $700. It's just what the buyer was looking for and it's going to a good home where it will continue to be appreciated for it's excellent picture quality. I really loved this TV for the past two years but i just didn't need it anymore and it was starting to get in the way so i'll let it live on with a new owner. I feel like i've betrayed it but the new owner seems to love it as much as i did. He was blown away at the PQ when he auditioned it at my house.

No other technology looks as good as the HD Tube, but at least the Panny Plasma looks 95% as good with SD as my Panny tube did. The LCDs don't fare as well compared to their analog CRT predecessors, but the lack of scan lines is a welcome improvement.

I really miss the Panny tube though, but i wanted a big screen and the plasma is a worthy sucessor.

http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/504...3_Reporter.jpg

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
It's so funny, we all go the flat panel route because it's a masculine version of interior design.

However, then we walk past some new sony or panasonic CRT's and see all the PQ we're missing.

Seth

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwas
It's so funny, we all go the flat panel route because it's a masculine version of interior design.

However, then we walk past some new sony or panasonic CRT's and see all the PQ we're missing.

Seth
What I've been totally surprised with are the number of gals who'll live with a new tv so long as it's a flat panel - even a very expensive flat panel. I can endure the girth and size of a tube tv, but my wife would much rather we had a slim flat panel. I just have to believe the next tv we get will be flat panel. And, like everyone's said, the PQ of the flat panels keeps getting better and better - maybe by then I won't even notice a difference.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm hoping that by the time my 13 year old 27" Mitsubishi packs it in, that the cost of the new technology sets will have come down so that I can afford them, and that the PQ is as good as CRT.

I can always hope :)

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I am tempted to grab one of the latest Panasonic HD tubes before they go extinct. But it seems as if I've been bitten by the flat panel bug as well... this week anyway. It's a shame that it took so long for someone to come out with a really exceptional looking tube for the US market. If there had been something comparable to the latest Pannies available at a decent price a few years ago, I probably would have been a much happier camper, and not even thinkin about upgrading again for a few more years. That's probably exactly what the mfrs intended though-- to give me a bad case of upgrade-itis. IMO the whole rollout of HDTV has been badly botched in the States by (among other things) greedy mfrs who wanted to cut corners for more massive profits, rather than delivering a really stunning HD picture. Now everyone's gonna own progressive displays and only a handful of CRT diehards will experience 1080i as it was really intended. Oh well, if you can't beat em... :)

Maybe the new owner will let you visit the Pannie from time to time.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hey Randy,

After reading for weeks all about the new Sceptre 37' LCD panel now available at Costco for cheap, and being somewhat driven by technolust, I just went thru the Cosco online order process a couple nights ago...

...and when I got to the page that showed the bottom line that totaled $2K after tax and shipping costs were added, I looked up at the really outstanding HDNet picture on my existing 38" CRT set (that still has two years warranty left) and thought to myself "is it really worth $2K to get rid of this 250 lb. monster and replace it with a 65 lb flat panel that will never measure up in all around viewing no matter how easy it is to wire up and clean behind?"

And then I exit'd the order site and vowed to wait yet another little while for affordable digital display technology to catch up to what I already own and enjoy (except for the bulk and scale issue ).

So maybe this winter, after the two big expositions are done and prices are down on the new Sceptre or Westinghouse 47"s that have to be waiting in the wings, just maybe that will be the straw that tips the scale... but then again it's hard to imagine a better overall view than this wonderful old relic provides... at least from an LCD panel.

But I can hope can't I? :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Wow! You loved that TV. I just bought my last (maybe) CRT- A Sony 34XS955. It is great! Keep us informed with your new one.

·
Registered
122 Posts
my guess is not really 'til SED technology gets launched and has time to drop to a reasonable price level... which might take as long as three more years (where reasonable = cheap).... :)

The clincher with SED though will be BIG screens (50" - 60") compared to CRTs.

·
Registered
122 Posts
btw... is Hob still out here somewhere?

He's one of the original proponents (along with RM and DJ) of the 38" wonder that we all know and love... :)

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by offsite123
my guess is not really 'til SED technology gets launched and has time to drop to a reasonable price level... which might take as long as three more years (where reasonable = cheap).... :)

The clincher with SED though will be BIG screens (50" - 60") compared to CRTs.
SED and OLED are the two techs I'm watching out for very closely.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wohlstad
Hopefully Sony will discontinue their big CRTs soon so my 36XS955 will become collectible item ):
My 40XBR is already entering this phase!

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ
SED and OLED are the two techs I'm watching out for very closely.
EXACTLY!

SED first and then OLED will follow. Both technologies have what it takes to unseat all current technologies at a fraction of the cost and energy.

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey
"The final act was the selling of the 32" Panny HD tube last Sunday for $700"

it had to be love to over pay that much for a used set
It wasn't just any old "used" set, it was previously owned and was loved and pampered :D He was a little shocked to find it was indeed absolutely MINT just like the ad said. The Television presented itself well, with it's seductive dark charcoal cabinet and incredible picture quality. It looks expensive just sitting there, and remember it's fully loaded with features not found on current sets not to mention the 3 years left on the excellent extended warranty. I honestly don't think i over-charged for this set - it really is a gem :cool:

Since it was the only 32" HD-ready TV he's been able to find that would fit his space and wasn't cheap looking silver it was well worth the price to him. It was EXACTLY what he'd been looking for and unable to find until he spotted my ad, and just based on my description and pictures he was already sure he was going to buy it from me before he even called. The Love came after he got it home and was astounded at the beautiful smooth picture quality with DirecTV compared to his old analog 27" Mitsubishi tube TV :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.