1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Where's Princess Leia?

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
tshirk:what do you mean, I can picture it now, "how do I make my walls blacker" or " wife sits on other side of display, how can I make her always ware black and a black face mask so that she does not interfere with the picture?"

·
Registered
297 Posts
Does anybody have a theory on how this works? I could not find any docs on the website. I don't need a white paper on it, just a laymens explanation like we get for DLP. DILA, etc. How can they make an image float in mid air?

On other thing... IF THIS IS POSSIBLE, THEN HOW LONG UNTIL WE HAVE TOY LIGHTSABERS THAT LOOK REAL WHEN ACTIVATED? Could be cool for halloween.

Walt O

·
Registered
827 Posts
If you look at the video it looks like a "mist" is being pushed up by a fan to generate a curtain to display the image. They used to do this at Sea World as part of the laser light show.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
Quote:
Dyner has disclosed few details about how his Heliodisplay works. The machine modifies the air above a video projector, creating a working, 27-inch screen that can display any kind of video. The image is two-dimensional, can be seen from several angles, and can be manipulated by hand.

·
Registered
827 Posts
If you look at the spec only the multiple unit system can be seen from a number of angle. The single unit can only be seen from one angle. Basically it is a projector w/the curtain.

"Projectors in the Mist", they will probably be endangered as well.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Quote:
It's pretty cool, but no obvious use yet other than novelty.
????

I can think of dozens of uses. From touch-screen ticketing at airports that never need to be cleaned from finger-prints to voting booths to medical uses where doctors can point to and touch large-scale images to direct surgery. Imagine traffic patterns in an airport being directed by fences or "line ropes" made of light. Or having a virtual "light door" that doesn't need to be opened or closed...and when folks walk through it, it keeps count of the traffic like a rotary counting-bar at an amusement park. You could have traffic-guide barriers on the high-way that use projected light images to close off lanes but that would produce no damage if a car happened to stray off-track and drive "into" one. You could mark the lane of a toll booth open or closed with a virtual light-barrier at eye-level and have cars count as they drive through without any mechanical arm to raise or lower or become damaged by a rouge vehicle.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Well, maybe someday, but the voting booth will not work. It would just add to the confusion factor and unfairness of papertape vs toushscreen issue as stated by the court of appeals in CA on monday. I can here them now "We find that the use of holographic displays in voting booths is unconstitutional. How is a voter to gain the satisfaction of voting when they actually touch 'nothing' in the process. I mean, how do you think this makes them feel? It makes this court sad because we want to 'feel' our vote and know that it counted. No way this will work and we have come to the opinion that the recall election shall be postponed until the voting public has a fair and equal chance of 'feeling' their vote".

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
Quote:
Well, maybe someday, but the voting booth will not work.
I can just picture it now, they add pictures of the candidates. Then after the election people are complaining, because they were trying to punch out the guy they did not like :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.