AVS Forum banner

321 - 340 of 376 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #321
A couple more dumb questions for you @squiers007.

How did you guys mount the sub to the baffle so its sealed? Regular wood screws with pilot holes? How about the female speakon plug? Lastly, Did you solder the speaker wire to the sub or just use the binding posts? Thanks.

I will be attempting my baffle cuts tomorrow and finishing up the window bracing tonight.
No stupid questions, only stupid mistakes for not asking questions! ;)

I used regular wood screws and weather stripping to seal the driver in the cutout. Pilot holes are a must in MDF IMO so be sure you do that, and for the SpeakOn plug we actually used plumbers putty, but I think thin weather stripping would work (we just didn't have any handy and I wanted to fire up the subs asap!). I used straight wire for the binding posts on the driver itself and did not solder and then used crimped spade terminals to connect to the backside of the SpeakOn, with a small drop of solder to prevent it from rattling loose, but not enough to make removal difficult should I ever need to (basically like a tac weld, but with solder).

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
You End Tables are simply amazing! It has me thinking of doing something similar but buffet table style.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Here is my buffet style table 2 um 18's rear firing ported to 22hz.
Awesome Sauce!

Thanks! A buffet table would work great, although I'd probably do something similar to Brad and have the driver facing rearward and port either out the side or bottom.
Agreed.

Thanks for the inspiration!;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
My iNuke3000DSP came in yesterday so I hooked up the speaker and amp to make sure everything was working. I have it set to Bridged Mode on the Amp and correct speakon wiring.

It's really quiet which seems to be a common problem. The speaker output from the Denon 2112ci is currently set the subwoofer line out to -9.5. All other speakers are set to small. If I turn the sub out all the way up to +12 I get decent sound but also a constant humming. This is also with the Channel A knob turned all the way up. What does the Gain setting do within the DEQ settings? This seems to produce better sound. I'm guessing I need to find the best compromise between AVR sub out, Channel A knob, and DEQ gain? This is my first time messing with Pro Amp so I'm pretty lost.

Lastly, I can't connect my Windows 10 surface to the iNuke software. I have the software loaded and when I plugged in the usb cable I saw a little update but I can't use the connect button.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #327
My iNuke3000DSP came in yesterday so I hooked up the speaker and amp to make sure everything was working. I have it set to Bridged Mode on the Amp and correct speakon wiring.

It's really quiet which seems to be a common problem. The speaker output from the Denon 2112ci is currently set the subwoofer line out to -9.5. If I turn it all the way up to +12 I get decent sound but also a constant humming. This is also with the Channel A knob turned all the way up. What does the Gain setting do within the DEQ settings? This seems to produce better sound. I'm guessing I need to find the best compromise between AVR sub out, Channel A knob, and DEQ gain? This is my first time messing with Pro Amp so I'm pretty lost.

Lastly, I can't connect my Windows 10 surface to the iNuke software. I have the software loaded and when I plugged in the usb cable I saw a little update but I can't use the connect button.
How exactly do you have the speakon wired? Just want to double check. Also, I'm assuming since you coudln't connect to the amp using your computer that you set the mode on the front display panel?

Most all Denon AVR's have no problem driving the Inuke to full output. The Inuke only need ~0.75v to reach full output so most actually have the input attenuator knobs backed off a little (mine are set ~ 2 o'clock). I would double check your sub and speakon wiring first and go from there. Were you testing the sub in free air? If so it will not have much output compared to once you place it in the enclosure so keep that in mind also.

Does your AVR have Audyssey? If so you'll want to use that in helping to set your gains to that it does not try and set the level too low (-12) or to high (+12), most shoot for around -6db for the sub trim level and bump it up from there too taste.

·
Registered
16 Posts
How exactly do you have the speakon wired? Just want to double check. Also, I'm assuming since you coudln't connect to the amp using your computer that you set the mode on the front display panel?

Most all Denon AVR's have no problem driving the Inuke to full output. The Inuke only need ~0.75v to reach full output so most actually have the input attenuator knobs backed off a little (mine are set ~ 2 o'clock). I would double check your sub and speakon wiring first and go from there. Were you testing the sub in free air? If so it will not have much output compared to once you place it in the enclosure so keep that in mind also.

Does your AVR have Audyssey? If so you'll want to use that in helping to set your gains to that it does not try and set the level too low (-12) or to high (+12), most shoot for around -6db for the sub trim level and bump it up from there too taste.
I have the speakon cable connected to +1 positive, +2 negative. That took me a minute to figure as I initially had it hooked up to positive -1, negative -2. Correct, I have the sub hooked up to open air. The AVR does have audyssey. So I really shouldn't mess with PEQ or DEQ gain?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #329
I have the speakon cable connected to +1 positive, +2 negative. That took me a minute to figure as I initially had it hooked up to positive -1, negative -2. Correct, I have the sub hooked up to open air. The AVR does have audyssey. So I really shouldn't mess with PEQ or DEQ gain?
Wiring sounds good. My guess is it's simply quiet because you're playing it free air. You may need some additional gain in the PEQ, but I wouldn't mess with it until you've got the sub in the box and are calibrating it with the rest of the system. If I had to guess I would say you wont need to mess with it.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #331
Thanks so much @squiers007.

I finally finished my marty cube end table this weekend. Holy **** is this thing loud. I still need to paint the feet. I was too excited on Saturday and wanted to get it hooked up for friends that were coming over.
Awesome!! Can't tell you how much of a compliment it is to see someone emulate your work. What driver did you end up going with? Looks like a 460HO? Now you just need to build a twin for the other side of the couch!!

·
Registered
330 Posts
1) The "drawer" ended up as more of a cubby hole instead of a true drawer that slides. It was a lot simpler than trying to figure out tracks and how to keep it from rattling. The doors a faux and do not open. They are glued directly to the box.

2) I don't see any problem with doing a solid wood top.

3) We used Anne Sloan chalk paint for the finish. We primed it first with Killz so we wouldn't need as much of the expensive stuff.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I actually have a local store that sells the Anne Sloan paint, its looks really nice. How did you cut legs in the MDF panel, did you use a Jig saw? thanks

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #333
I actually have a local store that sells the Anne Sloan paint, its looks really nice. How did you cut legs in the MDF panel, did you use a Jig saw? thanks
Ya, we drew the pattern we wanted by hand then cut it out with a jig saw on some scrap to create a template. Then we sanded the template so all of the edges, curves, etc were perfecr. Then we used the template and a pattern bit in the router. This way each leg is identical.

Hopefully that description made sense.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #334
Hey everyone, so my wife just accepted a new job in Oregon so we will be moving across the country soon. Due to this we are going through the house figuring out what to keep and what to sell to make the moving costs less... this brings me to my beloved End Table subs.

I'd love to keep them, but due to there size and the high probability we will be renting for a couple years and probably not have nearly the same amount of space in our living room as we currently due I'm thinking about selling the End Tables (just the End Tables, the subs will Not be included).

So I'd like to ask you guys what you think they might be worth/what would you pay for them? Finding someone locally would be great, but is unlikely as I don't know many people down here on the forum, so shipping will need to be considered and I know it will not come cheap. Each End Table weighs just over 100lbs w/o the subs. The dimensions so you don't have to scroll through all these posts are 20" x 23" x 35" (w/ 4" legs) (the Top also overhangs the sides by 1/2" on each side) Net internal volumes comes in around 5.2 cuft and they are tuned to approx. 19-20hz. The doors on the front are faux, but the "drawer" hinges open to reveal a small cubby hole that you can store remotes, etc. in. They are constructed of 3/4" MDF with a double baffle and recessed woofer cutout that will accommodate the HT18, DS4-18, HST18, and with small modification the UM18 and 460HO.

I'll likely be designing new smaller sealed End Tables once we get into our new place so I can still enjoy a nice Bass massage on my couch! Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #339
Just wanted to be clear, this is not a "For Sale" thread, I'm simply doing research on what these end table enclosures would be worth on the chance that I do decide to sell them. If you'd like to discuss this with me you are more than welcome to PM me. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Understand that.
I had subscribed because I liked the idea and was curious to possibly do this build or something similar.

Would love to see/hear them in person.

321 - 340 of 376 Posts