AVS Forum banner

341 - 360 of 376 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #341
@murphy2112 @SBuger @podboy

Since you guys know the quality of my Dad's work, do you have an opinion on what the End Table sub enclosures might be worth? Thanks.

I know something like this is pretty subjective, just trying to get a ballpark figure for what's reasonable. I don't feel like just giving them away for free, because I can just as easily hang onto them...

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
I know some guys in TX. Let them know of you possibly want to sell your subs to see if they might be interested.

If I was closer if be inquiring but shipping kills it for me and I ain't driving to Texas neither lol...

·
Registered
1,469 Posts

Since you guys know the quality of my Dad's work, do you have an opinion on what the End Table sub enclosures might be worth? Thanks.

I know something like this is pretty subjective, just trying to get a ballpark figure for what's reasonable. I don't feel like just giving them away for free, because I can just as easily hang onto them...

I dunno. I can only tell you what I would pay. What does a typical flat-pack cost? I would pay a premium and would think a typical end table could run $250-$500 in the Chicago area for just furniture.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #344
I dunno. I can only tell you what I would pay. What does a typical flat-pack cost? I would pay a premium and would think a typical end table could run $250-$500 in the Chicago area for just furniture.
Thanks for chiming in. The end tables are right in between a Marty Cube and Johnny Sub in terms of size/material. Those flatpacks sell for $210 and $235 w/o shipping respectively. I was thinking along the same line as you and comparing them to actual furniture costs. Gives me some more to think about at least. Thanks Mike.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Who else makes end table subs? If there isn't one, then I would go for it. The WAF is high. When I was at AXPONA 2016 in Chicago, I heard a couple of planter boxes with flower in them and remember how good they sounded. The cost of those was well over a grand just for the boxes.

I think the real value isn't just the cabinet, but the integration as to how to model it, what port type, how to connect it, and what amp to use. Basically all the stuff DIY'ers have to come here and ask or figure it out themselves. If you have the time and like it, great. If you don't have the time or the tools, I would think there's a market for that.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #346
Who else makes end table subs? If there isn't one, then I would go for it. The WAF is high. When I was at AXPONA 2016 in Chicago, I heard a couple of planter boxes with flower in them and remember how good they sounded. The cost of those was well over a grand just for the boxes.

I think the real value isn't just the cabinet, but the integration as to how to model it, what port type, how to connect it, and what amp to use. Basically all the stuff DIY'ers have to come here and ask or figure it out themselves. If you have the time and like it, great. If you don't have the time or the tools, I would think there's a market for that.
I'm not asking about going into business selling them. I'm just thinking about selling the 2 I already have...

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I'm here reading this as well. Just letting you know :p

A big congrats btw.

What is the cutout/overall?
Or rather did you make the cutout to fit the HT18 with the included gasket (I believe thats a ¼" larger than the UM-18/PA460)?

Also, I have 4 HT18s still new in box so we can make things easier by you just leaving the drivers in the cabinet and I can give you new HT18s. I'm not sure if you still have the original boxing or not, but that keeps them protected while moving quite a distance. Either way, let me know if you need some boxes to hold your HT18s.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #348
I'm here reading this as well. Just letting you know

A big congrats btw.

What is the cutout/overall?
Or rather did you make the cutout to fit the HT18 with the included gasket (I believe thats a ¼" larger than the UM-18/PA460)?
Hey man. Thanks.

I have HT18's in there right now and I think the outside cutout is close to 18 3/4, and inside is 16 3/4, I'd have to measure to get it exact. We used tyke specs right of the SI webpage though and they worked fine. I'm pretty sure the DS4-18 will be a direct drop in since people have upgraded before.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Hey man. Thanks.

I have HT18's in there right now and I think the outside cutout is close to 18 3/4, and inside is 16 3/4, I'd have to measure to get it exact. We used tyke specs right of the SI webpage though and they worked fine. I'm pretty sure the DS4-18 will be a direct drop in since people have upgraded before.

I just re-edited my post. Apologies :p
"Also, I have 4 HT18s still new in box so we can make things easier by you just leaving the drivers in the cabinet and I can give you new HT18s. I'm not sure if you still have the original boxing or not, but that keeps them protected while moving quite a distance. Either way, let me know if you need some boxes to hold your HT18s."

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #350
I just re-edited my post. Apologies
"Also, I have 4 HT18s still new in box so we can make things easier by you just leaving the drivers in the cabinet and I can give you new HT18s. I'm not sure if you still have the original boxing or not, but that keeps them protected while moving quite a distance. Either way, let me know if you need some boxes to hold your HT18s."
I'm not using the rubber gasket from SI and I don't think it would fit with the current cutout.

I did keep the boxes for my drivers so I've got that covered.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested in them and we can discuss more.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts

Yes the quality of your dads work is great and your end table subs look super nice! I showed my wife these a while back and she asked why my subs couldn't have looked like that! lol WAF definitely goes a long way for us folks in non dedicated rooms.

I'm not real familiar with what nice end table furniture runs, but for me personally, I probably would not have a problem paying around $500 or so for each end table for the finished product and then just dropping the driver in. But even really nice end tables (non sub) could be worth a lot more though, I don't know. I'd probably have a tough time building something like this myself and have it turn out as nice as yours.

Your end table subs are so cool that I think I'd have a hard time letting them go even if I had a dedicated room for what ever kind of subs I wanted. These could always be in the living room (or somewhere similar) and no one would ever know where the awesome bass coming from for music etc. :)

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #352
Yes the quality of your dads work is great and your end table subs look super nice! I showed my wife these a while back and she asked why my subs couldn't have looked like that! lol WAF definitely goes a long way for us folks in non dedicated rooms.

I'm not real familiar with what nice end table furniture runs, but for me personally, I probably would not have a problem paying around $500 or so for each end table for the finished product and then just dropping the driver in. But even really nice end tables (non sub) could be worth a lot more though, I don't know. I'd probably have a tough time building something like this myself and have it turn out as nice as yours.

Your end table subs are so cool that I think I'd have a hard time letting them go even if I had a dedicated room for what ever kind of subs I wanted. These could always be in the living room (or somewhere similar) and no one would ever know where the awesome bass coming from for music etc. :)
Thanks for the reply. At this point unless I find the right buyer and know they will be going to a good home I will likely just hold onto them... that is unless someone were to make me an offer I just couldn't refuse. I know my wife would like to see me sell them since they are somewhat large, but I'm having a hard time parting with them at this point.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Thanks for the reply. At this point unless I find the right buyer and know they will be going to a good home I will likely just hold onto them... that is unless someone were to make me an offer I just couldn't refuse. I know my wife would like to see me sell them since they are somewhat large, but I'm having a hard time parting with them at this point.

My wife would probably love it if I swapped my stuff with Bose Satellites, LOL

I was walking with the family in downtown Oak Park, IL yesterday and my wife stopped by one of the store windows and asked, "aren't those shiny leggings cute?" I really just don't thinks legging are cute. I think a cute body wearing cute legging could be cute, lol

She thought swapping out the Goldenear Triton Two's with One's resulted in the difference between "sleek and right-sized" versus "massive." To me, they are just a tad larger.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #354
Ok, well our moving truck plans have changed somewhat and it looks like I will be able to keep my End Tables now!!! Unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse I won't have to give up my bass!

The new place these subs will be moving into is going to be significantly less volume than the room they are in now so I should get a nice boost in room gain and ULF. I'll be sure to take REW measurements once we get settled so everyone can see the difference. Oh, and I'll be going from a solid concrete foundation to a pier and beam so the tactile response of the room should go up as well! A win win :D

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Ok, well our moving truck plans have changed somewhat and it looks like I will be able to keep my End Tables now!!!

Oh, and I'll be going from a solid concrete foundation to a pier and beam so the tactile response of the room should go up as well! A win win :D
Congrats! Consider me VERY JEALOUS

Reactions: squiers007

·
Registered
164 Posts
Awesome sub(s). I have been creeping on this thread for quite awhile and decided to start my own soon. I have a SI 18" DS4 coming next week. I plan on having the finish very similar to another end table that I have.

But I was thinking of maybe building in a space for the inuke so it is more like a self contained unit. I know it will make the unit a bit bigger, and cooling may be an issue. Anything else I should consider?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #358
Awesome sub(s). I have been creeping on this thread for quite awhile and decided to start my own soon. I have a SI 18" DS4 coming next week. I plan on having the finish very similar to another end table that I have.

But I was thinking of maybe building in a space for the inuke so it is more like a self contained unit. I know it will make the unit a bit bigger, and cooling may be an issue. Anything else I should consider?
Thanks man.

I had thought of a compartment for the inuke as well, but it would need to be open on the front and back to allow adequate air flow to cool the amp and at that point it just became too difficult to design a usable space for it and still have it look good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Alternately if you mount the iNuke vertically on the back with the front facing upward and the back facing the floor, you'd be optimizing the airflow through the unit (since it pushes hot air out the front) and still have easy access to tweak it. Just don't fully enclose it.

Heck maybe even install some of your own more silent fans under it pulling air up and through the unit.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
^^ actually, pulling the main board out of the iNUKE is not a bad idea to save space. There's a separate thought on whether or not one can/should do this. However, perhaps attaching some heat sinks to the critical areas, and if it's a ported box, airflow might be enough. I say this because the newest iNUKEs are ClassD like other plate amps and don't generate nearly as much heat as the old ones did. So for those running low volume / low power, you probably don't need any airflow at all. But then we're now talking about vibration that might kill the iNUKE. I'm not sure these amps are all that durable...

Taking 5 iNUKEs and pulling them out of their chassis and putting them into one's own custom chassis is something I would think would be beneficial to do...

341 - 360 of 376 Posts