AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having been very disappointed by the R1 release (I like this flick very much), I had put big hopes in this french release.

J.J Annaud, The director had found R1's PQ not to be entirely satisfactory and not respectfull to his work.

So he has supervised this transfer and all the process from the beginning .Good start, isn't it.

The film has 2 discs:

the disc one contains two versions of the film, the theatrical and director's cut.

Unfortunately (at least to me), you can't choose your version from the beginning.You have to push the enter button

on the remote each time the icon appears on screen to see the additional scenes. You take X-men, well, that's the same thing.

I, for one would have prefered something rather more like T2...

It has 5 soundtracks: french 5.1 DD and DTS and english 5.1 DD and DTS plus a commentary by J.J Annaud + french subtitles(optional).

On the second disc, you can find

- a 28 minute making of (english subtitled in french).

- cut scenes (english subtitled in french).

- a 30 minute historical documentary on the battle of stalingrad.

- trailers (french and english, 5.1 soundtrack).

- 5 trailers of other J.J Annaud films.

- storyboards.

- cast and crew informations.

- advertising artwork.

...well, many things to look at .

So, let's talk about PQ. Firstly, let's say that this film is not an easy one for digital compression.Photography is kind of "dirty" and grainy Ã* la saving private ryan.

Is it any better than the R1 release?

The short answer is YES, definitely YES!!!.No doubt it is.The transfer although not perfect is soooo much better.

To begin with, definition is awesome with lots of details lost on the R1 disc.

The R1 dvd looks so murky by comparison.

In fact there is almost as much differences as there is between the fifth element and its SB version.

EE?? Frankly, it's (almost?!) no concern in this transfer (about the same amount you have in hannibal to give you an idea or perhaps less...)

and nothing compared to the R1 transfer ruined by this plague (EE was larger and pretty obvious).

The contrast is usually good, but I have found one or two scenes so-so.Tint is weird sometimes (blue tint for instance in some sequences).

Colours are purposely subdued and give an historical atmosphere to the film.

MPEG2 compression is not perfect.There is some mosquito noise, a few digital artefacts, but nothing distracting at all.

And I, for one prefer to have a much more detailed picture with a few artefacts rather than a blurry one.

Of course, I wish I had no french track (or perhaps a DTS english track and a french 5.1 DD track...Hey men, it's a french release after all!)

The english DTS track is very good, not as good as a saving private ryan but still excellent and better to my ears than the DD track with all these micro-details only DTS can bring.

Overall, I'm very impressed by this release.I will not keep my R1 DVD any longer, that's for sure!

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
salut Stephane! :)

bon, çÃ* m'inquiète un peu euh, it still worries me a bit that you mention mpeg problems and not so perfect compression, which does not surprise me as it's usually the case with PAL dvds. the gain in vertical resolution does not appeal to me ( I have only about 3% of PAL dvds ) when I have to deal with 4% pal speedup and average compression which the US and Japan still master better or work with better sources.

I know the R1 disc is a bit undefined sometimes and the dolby severaly lacks the punch of SPR DTS dvd but so was the theatrical soundtrack.

I wonder if the Belgian ediiton will carry less audio tracks on disc one. might be interesting.

thanks for the review

best

Dav

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just watched the film.

This dvd is very very good. In fact it's more than that.

One of the best R2 dvd I own.Nothing less.

This version is much more sharper (vertical AND horizontal resolution)

Picture is sometimes a little dark but I think this is due to the photography they used (a bit like Darius Kondji's work-I love what this man does with its photography!)

Blue tint problem I mentioned above can be seen in two or three shots and is completely intentional.So, no problems.

David, believe me... Picture is really beauitiful and MPEG2 artefacts not worth to be mentioned.

To give you an idea, I find le pacte des loups to have much much more compression problems than this one .

In fact, enemy at the gates is IMO a better transfer compared to le pacte des loups (except for its DTS track :D).

Furthermore recent R1 releases have MPEG2 problems too (tomb raider, planet of the apes, the grinch and jurassic park3...apparently)

If you like this film, THIS is the release you have to buy.You wouldn't regret it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Hi

Very good review stephane

DVDZone2 just yesterday mailed me that my copy has been sent out. Hopefully it will be here till Saturday. I wasn't aware that there is also a longer version on the DVD.

David600

Could you give some examples of PAL DVDs which have compression artefacts which their NTSC counterpart don't have?

I don't doubt you I'm just corious since I basicall only buy PAL DVDs of recent releases.

I think comression issues could arise when a certain title is not release by a major studio in the respective PAL country. I have found DVDs distributed by the same studio in PAL are usualy the same as the R1 version exept for the PAL differences.

Quote:
Furthermore recent R1 releases have MPEG2 problems too (tomb raider, planet of the apes, the grinch and jurassic park3...apparently)
You can add Jurassic Park 1 DTS (R1) to that list too. The R2 version has much improved pq it doesen't have DTS though.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Hi Stephane :)

I'll probably get it, if only for the dts track and the approved-transfer by JJA. Le Pacte could have been a bit better image speaking, to my taste.

Roland

I had not done many side by side comparisons, except on Sleepy Hollow (the pal is brighter and the dts is awesome but the density of colors is a bit better on the reg 1) or U571 (better compression on reg 1, even better dts! ), Gladiator (much better sound and image in zone 1) for instance. My feeling is that generally, I don't like the compression, colors and depth of pal dvds. Add the pal speedup, the sometimes unrespectful colorimetry and the soundtracks ( on US films).

i read also a lof of European and US sites to assert the differences on same movies too.

but region 2 is not the right word: it should be PAL we speak about as there is the Japanese market, ntsc, where you can find superb discs there (6TH DAY in full dts, Cutthroat island etc)

cheers

·
Registered
392 Posts
I agree that the Japanes make great NTSC DVDs often better than the R1 counterpart but with a hefty pricetag!!

Quote:
My feeling is that generally, I don't like the compression, colors and depth of pal dvds.
Interesting, especially colors and depht (due to higher resolution) on PAL strike me as so much more vivid and lifelike. During many side by side comparisons I have found compression to be often the same on R1 and R2 (not counting for indy R2 releases)

One example where the R2 PAL releases are across the board better than the R1 NTSC is Warner Brothers.

DTS is where R2 often falls short but not always as this thread proves. ;)

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Roland,

Speaking of jurassic park1 R2(french release?), does it have less EE than the R1 release? Is it sharper (the R1 is very undefined)?

Could be interesting to check this out.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Stephane: there's only ONE dvd version you should get: the remastered, corrected DTS edition. the studio screwed up the first batch and thanks to the internet, a recall was done and new discs were mastered. the dts has become reference material then.

as for the picture, it's not what we can find as the best on the market however but it's good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.