AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 Enemy.
Quote:
“Chaos is order yet undeciphered,” hints Dennis Veilleneuve at the beginning of his new psychological drama, “Enemy.” A mystery is afoot, at the center of which stand Adam and Anthony (Jake Gyllenhaal), doppelgangers to each other’s otherwise opposite characters, tendencies, and lifestyles. What at first seems like a playful coincidence of likeness makes a sharp turn into a situation wholly inexplicable and rife with possibility. What these possibilities are and how they unfold are the key to revealing the psyche of each man. The secrets of the subconscious are the real protagonists here, unlocked not by words but by actions. For a film in which dialogue is replaced primarily by expression, Villeneuve demands we summon our abilities of mindsight to appreciate how both Adam and Anthony react to each other.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts
Ordinarily, I don't go for these doppelganger flicks, however, this is the guy who made one of last year's best and is granted my full attention here.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink  /t/1524409/enemy-from-dennis-veilleneuve-director-of-prisoners#post_24533148

Ordinarily, I don't go for these doppelganger flicks, however, this is the guy who made one of last year's best and is granted my full attention here.

Probably the only reason for me is Prisoners. I do enjoy a mindbender. What if Jake is this guy's muse like Waltz and Tarantino?

·
Registered
28,941 Posts
I still haven't seen Prisoners yet, but Villeneuve's prior movie, Incendies, wrecked me emotionally. Just devastating.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z  /t/1524409/enemy-from-dennis-veilleneuve-director-of-prisoners#post_24536929

I still haven't seen Prisoners yet, but Villeneuve's prior movie, Incendies, wrecked me emotionally. Just devastating.

Prisoners was draining as well.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z  /t/1524409/enemy-from-dennis-veilleneuve-director-of-prisoners/0_60#post_24536929

I still haven't seen Prisoners yet,
You really do need to see Prisoners...it's that good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg  /t/1524409/enemy-from-dennis-veilleneuve-director-of-prisoners/0_60#post_24537114

Prisoners was draining as well.
Agreed.

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Somebody please explain the last scene for me.Im totally lost.

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
No,the last scene of Enemy

·
23,032 Posts
Don't we have to wait for some discs on NF? The discs just came out last week.

larry

·
Registered
10,845 Posts
Don't we have to wait for some discs on NF? The discs just came out last week.

larry
I didn't know NF had the practice of putting out a DVD in SD, and then later putting it out in BD. That seems odd. I guess I better move it down in my queue in order to get the BD. How long do I have to wait?

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Well I just glanced at previews and after seeing the film let me say the trailer is very skillfully done but the film is nothing like that.Still waiting for someone to explain that ending.

·
Registered
11,749 Posts
Well I just glanced at previews and after seeing the film let me say the trailer is very skillfully done but the film is nothing like that.Still waiting for someone to explain that ending.

I'm going to get it from Amazon tonight or tomorrow night and we can pick it apart from there. Been looking forward to this one.

·
23,032 Posts
I didn't know NF had the practice of putting out a DVD in SD, and then later putting it out in BD. That seems odd. I guess I better move it down in my queue in order to get the BD. How long do I have to wait?
I didn't even look at NF, just the release date. I assumed no BD meant no discs at NF. I have very little clue on the deals NF has made with the studios wrt delays etc. It does surprise me that there's a DVD and no BD.

larry

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
I'm going to get it from Amazon tonight or tomorrow night and we can pick it apart from there. Been looking forward to this one.
Im going to feel guilty if people buy this film based on my talking about it. Get it at a library or netflicks.

·
Registered
22,519 Posts
I'd say don't waste your time on this one. Its weird enough to hold interest, but ultimately useless and without any redeeming qualities.

I think the ending is supposed to confirm that you've been watching a dream or some sort of psychosis. But frankly I had no interest in knowing by that point. The actor's wife seemed to be sensing that something was very wrong with her husband, I think she was right.

·
Registered
11,749 Posts
Whoah, I didn't see this coming. What a great film. I'll need to see it again though because by the time I figured out that It needs your full attention, too much had passed. Need to watch this like you would Lost Highway.

This film won't be for everyone, it has a very Lynch / Kubrick feel to it. The cinematography is fantastic. You could pluck frames from the movie and hang it on the wall as art.

Not sure yet but my impression is that the spiders in the movie represent women and the commitment they require which is obviously the big problem for Adam/Anthony. Just before he sees her as the spider he was about to go back to the "club" with his new key. So he's either coming to grips with himself or he's going to backslide or... I dunno. :) Needs more viewing. I'm not sure if anything actually happens in the real world or if the whole movie is in his head yet.

·
Premium Member
12,956 Posts
The spider is a representation of woman (director talks about this in interview) and when he gets the key he is essentially going back to the version of himself that the wife hates (she mentions before this how the version he is at the end is the one she wants to stay). You can see his mood change with his question to her and his change of expression as he looks at it and the spider retreating up the wall into the defensive position is a representation of her hearing the tone of his statement right before and reacting as she knows he is going back to the version she hates.

I've seen the movie twice now and like it a lot, but you have to pay attention to a lot of things to pick up on what eventually becomes pretty obvious. This is an extremely polarizing film that some will love and others will hate. It certainly doesn't hold your hand and it does leave a lot to your imagination. I can see a lot of Lynch fans enjoying it. I didnt' find it nearly as bizzare as some of his entries though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts