AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Classic-Theater-System-Black/dp/tech-data/B001202C44/ref=de_a_smtd

I am looking for a relatively affordable home theater system (total budget $500 range including AVR).

Amazon had this on sale, and the reviews seemed quite positive and was wondering if this was a good deal. The lowest that I was able to find was $399 elsewhere, so $100 off seems to be decent enough. I know that I will need to get an AVR, speaker wires, and speaker stands, but wanted to know if this was a good deal at $299.

Any thoughts and any recommendations on an AVR would be great as well. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
For $300 its a great deal.

What is the size of the room you are going to put this in, including ceiling height?

It is open or closed off?

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsohng  /t/1523278/energy-5-1-take-classic-home-theater-system-good-deal-or-not#post_24503248

It is a closed room that is about roughly 17 ft x 9 ft. Ceiling is about 7-8ft.
It will work decently in your room. For $300 you will struggle to do better and get surround sound for your budget

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I have both the Denon 1613 and the yamaha V373...both have decent room correction software and power for the price. Which do I prefer? Well the Denon 1613 room correction software is better and it has some wi fi capability that i currently don't use, but...

In terms of the Energy Take classic, which I have only heard once and for a short amount of time...it is way better than TV speakers. Good HT speakers, not really. However, your budget only allows for these, the Martin logan MTL-2 or what I would recommend, spend what ever you have left over after purchase of an AVR and get the best possible pair of bookshelf speakers. Then buy the matching center, a decent sub and surrounds in stages as you can afford. You won't have a 5.1 for awhile, but when you do, it will be of decent quality.

Decent bookshelves...the Cambridge Audio S30, The Def Tech SM350s, EMP E5bi, many other in the 200/300/pr category.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the recommendation. With the AVR and speakers, this is quickly becoming an expensive project ($500+), but I am thinking this beats HTIB options. Are the soundbars worth the money at all? Right now, all I have are the TV speakers and really cant stand it any more.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsohng  /t/1523278/energy-5-1-take-classic-home-theater-system-good-deal-or-not#post_24503868

Thanks for all the recommendation. With the AVR and speakers, this is quickly becoming an expensive project ($500+), but I am thinking this beats HTIB options. Are the soundbars worth the money at all? Right now, all I have are the TV speakers and really cant stand it any more.
For $500 with 5.1 speaker set and receiver you can't do better than Energy Takes and Denon.

Soundbars are an improvement over TV speakers but this speaker set is a jump ahead in improvements.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I actually ended up getting these speakers for $200.

Harman Kardon HKTS 16BQ 5.1

thinking of getting one of these to pair:

Yamaha RX-V375 (refurb) (are refurb any good or reliable?)

DENON AVR-1613

Denon AVR-E300

Any experiences with these?

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
I like the Denon over Yamaha for the better room correction.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsohng  /t/1523278/energy-5-1-take-classic-home-theater-system-good-deal-or-not#post_24565123

Any issues with Refurbs?
Accessoriesforless is an authorized refurbished dealer for Denon. People here have had good luck with them

I strongly recommend Denon over Yamaha any day.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavre300/denon-avr-e300-5.1-3d-networking-receiver-airplay/1.html
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavr1613/denon-avr-1613-5.1ch-networking-receiver-w/airplay-3d-ready/1.html

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had no idea. I was kinda wondering why this was even mentioned, but makes sense now. But as some of the articles say, big difference in warranty and after shipping costs, and if it goes on sale at Amazon again, there is no difference. Now I may have to wait for this to go on sale again.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsohng  /t/1523278/energy-5-1-take-classic-home-theater-system-good-deal-or-not#post_24569086

I had no idea. I was kinda wondering why this was even mentioned, but makes sense now. But as some of the articles say, big difference in warranty and after shipping costs, and if it goes on sale at Amazon again, there is no difference. Now I may have to wait for this to go on sale again.

Also watch Newegg. They frequently on sale there as well.

In the meantime, if the Martin Logan MLT-2s end up coming available for your price, most people consider them a step up over the Energy Take Classics.

·
Registered
7,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1523278/energy-5-1-take-classic-home-theater-system-good-deal-or-not#post_24569324

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsohng  /t/1523278/energy-5-1-take-classic-home-theater-system-good-deal-or-not#post_24569086

Also watch Newegg. They frequently on sale there as well.

In the meantime, if the Martin Logan MLT-2s end up coming available for your price, most people consider them a step up over the Energy Take Classics.

First time I read that the MLT-2 are a step up over the take classic.

What makes one better to the other ? Both are tiny satellites speakers, I don't think that one is better is just about personal preference.

But if you get the MLT-2 for less money buy the MLT-2.

A step up will be some mini monitors/mini bookshelf and a step up from that are bookshelf.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts