AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start, my current system is: TSi300 x2, CS10, Denon AVR1713.

I understand it's a modest system, but I've been eyeing solutions to upgrade and expand to a 5.0 for a while now (for the right price). Long story short, I may have the opportunity to get a pair of CF70s for $280--that's right, $140 a piece. Now, I understand the CF line isn't the most loved speaker out there, but is this deal too good to pass up? Should I wait until I have the means to get something better?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
The CF70s are decent but it's hard to say if they would be a significant upgrade for you over your current setup. That is a significant reduction in price compared to MSRP. If you can listen to them that would be the best way to make a decision. Otherwise, I would probably save a bit more.

·
Registered
28,914 Posts
If you're gonna use the CF-70 as your main L & R speakers you'll also need the CC-10 center to match. So factor in the cost of a new center too.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan  /t/1521527/energy-cf70-inquiry#post_24454803

The CF70s are decent but it's hard to say if they would be a significant upgrade for you over your current setup. That is a significant reduction in price compared to MSRP. If you can listen to them that would be the best way to make a decision. Otherwise, I would probably save a bit more.

I've listened to them before and while I don't love them for music (in fact, my Polks probably out perform them), I like their potential for movies. My alternative to getting a pair of Polk T15s on stands as my rears, which would be over $200 cheaper.

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich7sena  /t/1521527/energy-cf70-inquiry#post_24454890

I've listened to them before and while I don't love them for music (in fact, my Polks probably out perform them), I like their potential for movies. My alternative to getting a pair of Polk T15s on stands as my rears, which would be over $200 cheaper.

The fact that you "don't love them for music" answers your question I think. A good speaker is a good speaker and whether you're listening to music or movies it should reproduce either effectively. I don't think adding the T15s as rear surrounds is a bad idea and it will save you money. Perhaps you can upgrade at a later date and look higher up the Polk line (RTi, LSi series). You might also consider offerings from Monitor Audio, B&W, Focal, Ascend Acoustics, Emptek, HTD, etc. Of course, as afrogt already mentioned, you would have to start over with your front three if you switch to a different line to ensure proper timbre matching.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts