AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I am not really an audiophile by any means but I do like to make good practical decisions when it comes to my poor man's HT...

I just purchased a Denon 1610 5.1 HDMI receiver, Audessy let me know of a few problems with my Cerwin Vega AVS 5.1 speakers, like blown tweets etc (I told you I was not a audiophile more like a Luddite)

So after much reading here and other places I have flushed out most of my options but am always hesitant to pull the trigger with out some expert advice from my favorite HT forum

DETAILS

Old Cerwin Vega AVS 5.1 system, couldn't find a better spec list

Room: Its sort of a L shaped family room but my HT area is a 14' x 14' section, walled on 3 sides.

Receiver: New Denon 1610 5.1

Usage: 99% movies/TV/PS3 very little music if ever (and we are not picky about music sound)

Budget: Ideally around $600, don't think I really need to spend more then that. I could but it would really have to be obviously better and worth the extra cash.

Speaker Placement: Currently have Cerwin speakers wall mounted with basic 1/4 threaded ball mounts for all sats, fronts, surrounds, and center. Sub in corner next to TV. Would like to keep to this form factor and wall mounting.

OPTIONS (so far)

1. Energy Take Classic 5 sats with PA-120 Sub on ebay for $400 (I could upgrade my blackberry!!!)

2. Energy RC-Micro 5.1 package for $600 from various online stores

From what I have read... the Micro's are a bit better but do you think a HT amateur would notice a $200 difference... I also read the PA-120 sub was a pretty good sub for the price, probably better then the stock RC-Micro one.

I also looked at ORB but the price is a bit high and everyone seems to think the sound is fairly close to the Energy?

Quite honestly I am leaning toward the Take Classics, better sub. They are the same size sats as what I currently have so the upgrade (hopefully its an upgrade from the Cerwin's) should be easy.

Guess I am fairly certain that I could save $200 and probably not notice the difference but want the reassurance from my HT Geek Friends

Any speakers I could be missing?

· Registered
56 Posts
i'd say to go with the rc's considering your usage

movies dialogue is focused in your center channel

and having had the center take classic and rc mini center, the re mini improves alot on dialogue compared to the take

the mini's will also better fill your room

i'd say to go for the mini, and have no regret

i went with the takes, and while they are good, they didnt satisfy me

of course, if you could audition them, that would be best

· Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you talking about the actual rc-mini's or the rc-micro's? The mini's are larger then the take classics. The micro's are smaller...

I sort of crossed out the rc-mini's due to price and size, I would have to remount the speakers (though I think they come with mounts?) and are fairly expensive unless you jump on the vanns deal...

· Registered
56 Posts
oh my bad

yea i was talking about the mini's

i havent heard the micros, but i'd guess the difference would be alot less marked than take versus mini

maybe ask in the energy thread, they would probably know better

but again, if you could audition them, that would be best

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.