AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been much discussion about traveling to Canada to purchase Paradigm speakers in order to save big $$$.

But I was wondering does the same hold true for Energy Speakers? Details would be nice including the shop you visited and how much you felt you saved (if there are deals to be had).

Thanks,

Gerry

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yes, the MSRP for Energy speakers I've seen up here is about the same as in the US, but in Canadian dollars of course. I'm sure the same would hold for any of the Canadian speaker brands. If you buy in the Toronto area, I'd recommend the shop where I bought my Energy's, Eastview Electronics.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Road trip to Vancouver for all west coasters. :)

Mark

·
Registered
859 Posts
heh.. lol.. but the thing is.. Energy's dealers here in Canada doesn't really give much discounts at all (atleast Vancouver). They sell for approximately the same price as they sell for in the States. And the dealers will only give a small amount of discount..

I got my veritaz 2.2s for just about 2000cdn. that's just abit less than 1400 usd. Only canadian paradigm dealers give crazy discounts. And to some extent Mirage as well.

·
Registered
997 Posts
not sure about the energys but I would have to think so. The dealer I used for my psbs in windsor also is a energy dealer, sure he would deal on anything:D I need to make a run over there and check out the new psb Platnum series

Kevin

·
Registered
367 Posts
I bought Energy C-9 in Quebec last month for 1105.00$ Canadian.

Which is about 610$ American. I think its safe to say this is a good deal.

The retail price is 1600$ Canadian

Thanks

Frédérick Richard

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm also very curios about the Energy dealers in Canada. I didn't really get much of a feel for how much the dealers will drop their price as I was honest with them right up front - I still have some work to do in my HT before I'm ready to purchase speakers.

What I did want to share is that I have visited one Energy dealer in Sault Ste Marie, Ontario, and one in SE Michigan. I listened to the C-7s and the C-5s, and man I had a hard time telling the two apart, even when I switched in the middle of a song. The C-5s priced out at CDN $999/pr, US $749/pr, and the C-7s were CDN $1299/pr, US $999/pr.

I should have asked the Canadian dealer what his best offer would be to me, ask to better that if I bought 6, and considered it.

Ironically, I was fairly well set on getting 6 of HTD's new Level 3 towers (which I've never heard), but I really liked the C-5 and the C-7. My wife LOVES the Maple finish of the C-series, but it cannot come to gobs more cash than the HTD's.

Frichard, $1105/pr CDN for C-9s? It might be worth driving to Quebec for a deal like that!

·
Registered
146 Posts
The guys at the Audioshop on Bank St. in Ottawa have loads of B stock including a pair of the original Veritas 1.8's and they will deal. A good bunch of guys to deal with. They have a website as well, although I don't think they have pricing for Energy on it.

Brad

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you're coming from MI, no need to head all the way to Quebec. My dealer here in Toronto should give you a price right around $1100 CDN for C9s (maybe a bit more and maybe even a bit less).

·
Registered
250 Posts
I just might have to take my pickup for a little overnighter to Toronto! I think I will first take a shorter trip to Windsor first, just to see what kind of deal I would get there.

Are you more likely to get a deal if you are buying, say 6 or speakers all at once? I would probably like to get 6 towers.

I've never heard the C9s, and my dream list would probably be (2) C7s and a C1 up front, and (4) C5s for the sourrounds/rears. Assuming that $1100 CDN/pr is the best I could find for C9s, should I expect C7s and C5s to go for somewhere around $900 CDN and $600 CDN, respectively?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the responses.

I can't help but feel as though I owe myself a trip to Canada to do so some speaker auditioning and possibly make a purchase. The savings are substantial.

Any good vacationing spots in Canada? If I can convince my wife we need to take our summer vacation in Canada, she'll never even have to know about my ulterior motives!

-Gerry

·
Registered
859 Posts
Vancouver's a nice place to go to. It's not a place for sightseeing - as there aren't much stuff to see. Unless you like Museums and Native Indian Stuff... (which seattle also has tons of)..

But Vancouver's for relaxation. Dine out, a bit of shopping.. Food here is freaking cheap. And we have all kinds of food. Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai, East Indian Food.. They are hella cheap. And unlike in the states.. they're everywhere. I am talking about 2 similar restaurants being only a block apart. Just stay out of those craptastic downtown aimed for tourist Asian restaurants... So if you have a car it'll be helpful. As the better Asian restaurants are away from the City and are on the suburbs. We have the best Chinese food outside HongKong and China, btw!! Sorry Toronto!! bwahahaha... We are talking about exotic Chinese food, not your standard SweetSour pork and chow mein.. lol..

Japanese food here's also a plenty.. Sushis are freaking cheap. Come here in the Fall or Spring though. As Summer can be a bit too hot. Plus fall's when new speaker models come out!! haha..

Shopping... there's a few shopping places here... and the Skytrain (light rail transits) stops in atleast 5 of them. As in 10 steps away.

And yeah. since you're gonna be auditioning speakers, you will deiniftely wanna have a ride. The Hi end stuffs are all in downtown.. RELs, BWs. but you're not interested in those. You want canadian speaker brands.

Mid Ends are scattered around the city. Energy are carried by A&B Sound. www.absound.ca. Paradigms are carried by Audio Video Unlimited. www.avu.ca. and PSBs. by sony store. and a few downtown locations. a&b used to carry psbs along with energy... but idunno what happened.

hope this helps!

·
Registered
114 Posts
SSabin: Your price estimates are right around the pricing I was finding around Toronto, though I think the C5s were a little more than $600.

Gerry S: What kind of vacationing are you looking for? If it's a back-to-nature trip, Canada's got plenty of that. Coming up from Georgia, Toronto or Montreal would probably be your most likely urban destinations. And don't think Vancouver's pulled way ahead of Toronto on the restaurant front from GreatBop's suggestions. While there are many places for the authentic and exotic in Chinese food here in Toronto, he is right in that Vancouver has more.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Be aware that our Canadian dollar is at a five year high.

Last Friday, I had to buy $3000 US which cost me 1.436 per US dollar.

Selling a US dollar would get me $1.399 at my Canadian bank.

- Andy

·
Registered
250 Posts
And that might be a good reason to get these speakers a few months before I intend to use them - I think the US-CDN dollar rates are supposed to continue on the same direction throughout the year.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Lammer
Be aware that our Canadian dollar is at a five year high.

Last Friday, I had to buy $3000 US which cost me 1.436 per US dollar.

Selling a US dollar would get me $1.399 at my Canadian bank.

- Andy
ouch :eek:

I think when I got my psb's we were getting about $1 US = $156 or so

kevin

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Go Canada, your bucks will be worth less

:)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I've heard Vancouver is a beautiful place. I guess my vacation would have to include at least 3 days in a metro area for [speaker] shopping and dining. The rest of the time could be spent in a back to nature type of vacation. I've always wanted to go to Toronto but I couldnt sell it to my spouse(paranoid about health).

I am trying to figure out if I can just fly to Buffalo or Detroit, rent a white van, cross the border, get my stuff, resist trying to sell the stuff in some parking lot, ship the stuff to myself, and fly back.

After totaling up all those expenses, I am not sure it would be worth the trouble for the money I would save. I am leaning towards staying in the States unless I can pull off the vacation plan or better yet find a Canadian dealer that will work with me over the telephone.

-Gerry

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Bop, I was talking to us "poor" Americans in the face of the suddenly mighty Canadian dollar.

:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.