Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which system will sound better?

The Energy Encore system or the Energy C7 + C1 + CC-1+ HSU STF2 Sub?

Thanks

Ed

·
Registered
859 Posts
That's an easy answer:

Connoisseur Series set plus HSU sub.

The Encores will be NOTHING compared to what the connoisseurs will do. especially if they're properly amplified.

The encores are good speakers. But the only reason to touch them is if you have a small room that can't fit bookshelves or floorstanders.

edit: I'd still proudly own a set of encores, they are one of the best sub/ sat combo available- if i had a small room..

·
Registered
111 Posts
cabby850,

I have Energy Encore System. I originally purchased the setup when I redid my HT and gave up good sounding, but mismatched floor standing and bookshelf speakers. We wanted good sounds but not overwhelm the room with speakers taking up floor space.

After a month or so listening to Encore system, especially for music, I felt that the sound lacked the fullness of better speakers. Since I had already bough into Canadian maple finish with sliver grill of Encore speakers, my wife insisted that what ever I did, it better match the looks of the rest of the system. Well, much to my wife's delight, I bought Energy C-3 to augment the front main speakers and simply used the 4 sats as the surround only speakers (I have Yamaha RX-V2400 that can accommodate 7.1 setup). The music sounds much improved and looks great too.

I would recommend C-3 over C-1, having listened to both. I did not feel C-1 was much of an improvement over the encore sat speaker. I live in SoCal and the local GoodGuys had all three to compare against.

Good luck in your choice.

Regards

·
Registered
60 Posts
C7 + C1 + cc1+ HSU STF2

for sure

·
Registered
556 Posts
Okay these aren't even in the same league. As has been mentioned, really any of Energy's lines are damn good performers for their relative costs.

However there is no way the Encore's could come close to the C's especially the larger models. I might suggest comparing a C5 + C3 + CC3 setup to the one you have listed though. Should be close to the same budget and I think you may prefer the larger centre and rears especially for SACD/DVD-A. If you can afford them, go right to the C-9's of course :D

J.R.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
For HT its a good idea to get as good a center as possible. 70% of the sound in HT is from the center.

With that sub you could probably go C3's for the front instead of the C7's; with properly set up bass management you wouldn't loose anything; it might even sound better - your amp won't have to work as hard that generally means cleaner sound. For that matter you could go C3's all around. Excellent for DD & DTS.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I must agree with the others in saying that the C7s, CC-1, and C1s for rears would be a great setup for HT, but even more so for music. And the STF-2 is a great sub for BOTH music and movies.

I have this same exact setup and I find myself listening to music so much more these days. I recently upgraded from a Klipsch setup (4 KG 1.5s) and a Yamaha subwoofer. Altough the Klipsch setup served me well for the last 5 years, this Energy setp is far superior. I haven't listened to music in my home so much in a very long time. That should say a ton for how much I love my Energy setup.

·
Registered
556 Posts
As rnrgagne stated, a large portion of movie soundtracks is in the centre channel. As such having a more capable center speaker is a good idea. It will also pay off with DVD-A/SACD or DPL II music, as will the larger C-3's in the rear. Not that what you picked is bad, it's still very good performing gear but you should at least try to compare what you picked with some of the other speakers to make sure that to you it is or isn't worth it. For the closest matching you'll probably want to keep with the same driver sizes. In other words his advice of C-3's all around is a great idea as well. As was your matching the C-7's, C-1's and C-C1. At the very least I'd think if you decide to get the C-C3 you want to stay in the same driver size with either C-3's, C-5's or C-9's. Also like he said, with that sub you can go with smaller speakers and still have great results in other words the C-C3 with the C-5's or C-3's or again, C-3's all around even for the center(s).

J.R.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Speaking of that, anyone using a C3 for their center? With my future setup being a projection screen, I can fit a C3 for a center, and possibly even a C5 if I keep the screen height to something near, but less than 4 ft. The C3 as center would allow me more flexibility on the screen height, and appears to go lower than a "real" center speaker. Anyone have comments?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Id go with C5- bigger drivers. Or better yet, the same speaker as your fronts. All i can say though is goodluck with getting just the piece of speaker..

·
Registered
250 Posts
The C3 and C5 have the same size drivers, just the C5 has (2) 6.5" drivers.

Freq response is 10 Hz lower with the C5, but the C3 is just 15.5" tall versus 36" for the C5.

With bass management capabilities built into the receiver, the tradeoff between these two speakers becomes more difficult!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is it worth it to get C-9, C-3, and CC-3 instead of C-7, C-1, CC-1?

Will I hear a big difference that will justify the cost difference?

I have a 25' x 35' living room with a projector.

Ed

·
Registered
250 Posts
If you have a projector, you have less need for a traditional center speaker. You should consider identical front 3 speakers if at all possible (mains & center). I think you could use a bookshelf at least instead of the CC-3 and save some money. Of course you'll want to try to get the tweeters across the front as close to the same height as possible, and keep in mind that the bookshelves seem only to be sold in pairs (why don't speakers companies acknowledge that some people need an odd number of their speakers?).

Moving to C9s over C5s or C7s is a subjective decision - what is "worth it" for some might not be for you. Do you need the extra bass in the speakers? That would seem to be the key question to me as far as the worth of the bigger speaker.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Well I have C-9's, C-5's and a C-C3 and I can say that the answer to that depends on a few things.

What are you using for amplification and processing? Larger speakers are going to require more juice to get the most out of them and good bass management on the processor side is also a big plus.

What are your listening habits now and what do you plan on your listening habits becoming? (Trust me when you get better gear, people tend to start listening to much more music.) If you do or plan to do a fair bit of 2-channel music listening or multi-channel music listening, the larger speakers can be great for music without a sub. I can honestly say that my setup is great for music listening with no sub.

You do have a large'ish room so the bigger speakers might be helpful to fill it. Just remember you need equally good amplification to power them.

The final decision is yours though. Your the only one who can tell you if the speakers are worth your extra money. I will say this though. Speakers and amplifiers are probably the two safest things to dump a good portion of your money in to as you don't tend to need to replace them for a long time if you get quality ones off the bat.

J.R.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will be using either the Pioneer Elite VSX-53TX or a VSX-55TXi (haven't decided yet) and a HSU STF-2 Sub.

Will be using the system for 40% music and 60% HT.

Ed

·
Registered
556 Posts
With those two choices I'd say stick to the C-5's or C-3's. You could use the C-9's but they'd sound better with more power/better electronics. Have you considered gear from say Rotel, Nad or Outlaw? They would offer you better upgrade paths to get seperate amplifiers down the line to improve the performance and would likley sound better from the start. Moving to better electronice is something you should seriously consider being that you plan to listen to a fair bit of music. I mean if it was something more like 90% movies, 10% music I'd say the Pioneer would be fine but for music you can definately do better IMO. For more info on Rotel gear check out Club Rotel @ HTGuide .

J.R.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Does any one recommend using a pair of C-3 instead of a C-C1 as my center Channel? I already bought the C-7 as front and C-1 as rears.

Can I use 2 C-3 and place them horizontally and connect both to the single center channel terminal? Will this yield a better result than the single

C-C1? If connecting 2 C-3 is not a good idea, how about just 1 C-3 as center channel instead of c-c1?

The only reason I am thinking of doing this is to cut cost as I found a good deal for the C-3.

Or should I just buy the C-C1 and spend a bit more money?

Thanks

Ed

·
Registered
859 Posts
CC1s can be had for only 250 bucks or something.. how cheap were you about to get the c3s for??

anyway.. c3 as a center channel might work. and have the one be the back surround

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.