AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of setting up our new media room and am disappointed with the bass performance. I pre-installed wiring for four possible locations in the room, labeled "SUB POS. #".

The sub is an Energy ES-10, which I've used for more than 10 years and have been relatively happy with it.

I've tested positions 2-4 (haven't gotten to 1 yet) and they are all very weak at the primary listening position. Position 2 sounds great at the secondary listening position near it and position 3 and 4 are the same.

I've turned the sub up until it sounds as though it's being pushed too much and the primary position never gets enough base. I realize this is primarily due to room acoustics and I plan to test varying the locations, but:

1) Would a different sub help?

2) Will running room EQ, such as Audissey, help?

·
Registered
610 Posts
1) Yes. It's just an axiom that a better sub will indeed be better.

2) Yes. Audyssey helps anytime there are Room EQ problems.

And for what it's worth, Sub Position #2 angled into the corner should produce the most bass for that room.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help! I had given up on a response and just came back today to check

I'm also considering a second sub. Maybe one sub at position 1 and a second at position 2. Will it matter if the subs are different models/brands?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonT /forum/post/15673095

I'm also considering a second sub. Maybe one sub at position 1 and a second at position 2. Will it matter if the subs are different models/brands?

Never mind. I should have searched the forum first. I found some info on it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, a new receiver and corner base traps later and the sub sounds very nice. I also took your suggestion on angling the sub in the corner and it seemed to help as well.

So, for now I'll keep it

Still need to run Audyssey, so the results may get even better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts