AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have an Energy ESW 10 sub woofer that has all of a sudden died on me. Is there an internal fuse that may have blown or does anyone know what my next steps should be? Also, does the blue power on light require a signal from my receiver or should it come on if i simply plug it in and turn the "on" switch on?

Thanks all!

·
Photographer
I have a nice display and a good sound system
17,722 Posts
It does sound like you have a power-related issue. Is your sub out of warranty? If not, get it serviced. Evidently there is a fuse in there, but the real question is why the fuse would have blown in the first place. When you plug in your sub and turn it on, your should see a blue light.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to bump such an old thread but I have one of these also that quit working right after the warranty expired.

There are hex screws around the sub itself on the bottom of the box, and a series of hex screws around the control panel on the rear of the sub.

Trying to figure out how to get into this thing, it almost appears like it was glued in as well as screwed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the same problem but with an ESW-8, and after taking it apart I found a small 1A fuse that's blown. They sell them a home depot so I'll see what happens after replacing it. That being said, to open it up all I did was take the hex screws off the amplifier plate, and the driver itself. After carefully taking the woofer out, you should be able to gently nudge the amp plate out. You'll also have to disconnect the wire lead for the blue LED from a PCB and after that you can take a look at the fuse. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Chufly29, Did this internal fuse solve your problem? I was able to finally get mine apart. I replaced the fuse in the 110/120v AC plug area, but it has continued to blow it.

I can hear it try to power up and then poof.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
If the fuse continues to blow, then your amplifier is dead. Parts Express sells plate amplifiers for subwoofers. Look for an appropriate size.

Two additional tests.

1. You can connect a dvd-player or mp3-player directly to the inputs on the subwoofer. Make sure you turn down the volume first. If no sound, then the amplifier on the subwoofer may be dead.

2. You can also check the driver by connecting a 9-volt battery to the plus and minus inputs. If the driver moves, it may be ok. A much better check is to connect a volt/ohm meter (in resistance or ohm mode) to the terminals on the driver. If a 4 ohm measures 3.5-3.8 ohms, then it is ok. If an 8 ohm measures somewhat less than 8 ohms then it is ok. It the readings on the volt/ohm meter jump all around, then the driver is ruined.

I learned the hard way that one should not connect a new plate amplifier to a destroyed driver.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,

I recently ran into a similar problem with my Energy Esw C10. No blue led light and unit would not turn on either in AUTO or manual ON. I have never abused my Sub so I figured I might be able to fix it. The sub has worked for about 2 years and always left in the auto On setting. I generally unplug all unused equipment but this sub sets in a un- convenient area that is hard to reach so it is left in auto.

To start you need to remove the plate amp in back. Just remove the outer hex screws, there is a foam gasket so it may feel stuck. You will need to mark and disconnect the speaker leads and the blue LED connector. Next remove the white bundled flat wire cable to the main amp section circuit board. Then remove the 5mm nuts and Philips bolts holding the main amplifier. Once this section is out check Capacitor #23 it is on the edge of the board near the ribbon wire connector, it is a 100uF 35V radial Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitor. These can be obtained from mouser electronics for like 15 cents.

This all that was bad on mine. However I would check all of them while you have it apart. The 2x 2.2uF capacitors would not check out for me while in the circuit but were indeed good. It is very common for these style capacitors to go bad over time (ie bulging, leaking, ect.) mine had no visible signs of being bad.

Replace all bad caps and re assemble in reverse order. Mine works great again! Took me about 2 hours to disassemble, repair, and reassemble. Hope this helps you guys out!

Norm

I have a picture of the amp section but avs will not let me post pictures or links sorry...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello all,

I recently ran into a similar problem with my Energy Esw C10. No blue led light and unit would not turn on either in AUTO or manual ON. I have never abused my Sub so I figured I might be able to fix it. The sub has worked for about 2 years and always left in the auto On setting. I generally unplug all unused equipment but this sub sets in a un- convenient area that is hard to reach so it is left in auto.

To start you need to remove the plate amp in back. Just remove the outer hex screws, there is a foam gasket so it may feel stuck. You will need to mark and disconnect the speaker leads and the blue LED connector. Next remove the white bundled flat wire cable to the main amp section circuit board. Then remove the 5mm nuts and Philips bolts holding the main amplifier. Once this section is out check Capacitor #23 it is on the edge of the board near the ribbon wire connector, it is a 100uF 35V radial Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitor. These can be obtained from mouser electronics for like 15 cents.

This all that was bad on mine. However I would check all of them while you have it apart. The 2x 2.2uF capacitors would not check out for me while in the circuit but were indeed good. It is very common for these style capacitors to go bad over time (ie bulging, leaking, ect.) mine had no visible signs of being bad.

Replace all bad caps and re assemble in reverse order. Mine works great again! Took me about 2 hours to disassemble, repair, and reassemble. Hope this helps you guys out!

Norm

I have a picture of the amp section but avs will not let me post pictures or links sorry...
Dude... I love you :kiss:

I had been wondering for over a year why the blue led wasnt comming on anymore and was in denial about the woofer not moving as much as it used to :eek:

Thanks! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts