AVS Forum banner

37301 - 37320 of 56105 Posts

·
Registered
1,930 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmuller /forum/post/21667979

My wife held up an 5 x 8 card and said that is the largest for the speakers.

That is why I am looking at the rc minis or the rc v - minis.

The rc 10s would be not fit the WAF at all.

I am thinking the take classics would leave a little to be desired with music as a prime focus.

I thought this system was mostly for your six year old and their Disney needs.

The RCs are usually more expensive, but they would be the better speaker. If cost doesn't matter, I would try the RCs out. I have heard all of those RCs in a store, but I have only personally used the RC-Mini Center in a home environment.

In my opinion, any decent sound is always better than no sound at all. Things could be worse.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Mardukous /forum/post/21670741

I'm glad all of your shipping worries and headaches are over for you. You have now finally got decent prices for your setup and your speakers aren't damaged. Congrats dude!

Thanks Hank -- big surprise to end up with an all-RC setup after all. It's mainly thanks to you, and while I spent more than I initially wanted, the price was definitely right. I'm now selling my C-series stuff, trying to recoup part of the cost of all that. Since I'm selling most of my bookshelves to a friend, I can't really abuse his wallet :p Even more so that I pointed out the recent sales at FS (200$ CB-20s) and he decided to stick with me.

For the ESW-C8 and CC-5, there is not much demand on Kijiji for now. Maybe they will end up as gifts.

Next step for me will be wall-mounting my TV. Can't wait -- but my GF accepted to help me install it on the condition that we fix a bunch of stuff around the house first

Quote:
I prefer to use music for comparing speakers. Home theatre movie modes can be great for a general overall comparison of different speakers, but I find music to be more precise and easier to accurately differentiate.

You're right, but for the center channel, it's not as easy as even in surround music modes, the same content is played by the fronts. Hard to distinguish what is played by the center, so it's even harder to compare the CC-10 vs the RC-LCR. I hope the LCR will shine in movie dialogues. I'm not a native english speaker so I require very clear dialogues if I want to follow what's going on.

Another quick question about the LCR: what are those two mids? They look like tweeter metal domes, but reversed? Never saw those before.

Quote:
Also I agree with the others, plug both of your speakers and have them sound the same.

Done. I plugged and unplugged the port of the RC-10 sitting on a table while music was playing, and the effect is much more subtle than I imagined, so I'm really comfortable with that configuration. I feared I would lose lots of bass; not so much.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmuller /forum/post/21668980

Thanks all for the discussion. I am leaning towards the rc mini or rc v - mini with a sub.

Room is 15 x 15 with one regular entry and one double wide entry with pine floor boards.

Would a pioneer sw - 8, energy esw - 8, or a 10.3 be a better fit for the speakers? I saw a review where the 8.3 was matched and reviewed well>

thanks

This is what I don't get: Your wife gives you a limit on size for speakers but NOT for a sub. The s10.3 is definitely the way to go for performance but it's a gawd-awful looking sub (could just be I'm spoiled with my Outlaw). I just can't see a wife putting restrictions and letting that fly.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macstatic /forum/post/21671987

This is what I don't get: Your wife gives you a limit on size for speakers but NOT for a sub. The s10.3 is definitely the way to go for performance but it's a gawd-awful looking sub (could just be I'm spoiled with my Outlaw). I just can't see a wife putting restrictions and letting that fly.

You made me laugh

To the OP: If WAF would be better with an 8 inch sub, consider the Outlaw Audio M8 . I would choose it over those Energy 8" subs. Available on b-stock for $225 shipped . Here's a review at CNET .

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
ENERGY S8.3 vs Energy vsw V8

Guys looking for a recomendation. Picked up a broken V8 on kiji for $75 problem was that the fuse kept blowing. Have taken it apart and see no obvious problem on only 2 parts that were touching. Need new fuses to keep testing. A S8.3 just showed up with in 10 minutes of my house for $115. Is it worth while to pick up the S8.3 for parts or back up? New amp plate would be $185 from energy or $115 for after market from parts express.

I have tested the driver in the V8 and it is fine.

·
Registered
533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macstatic /forum/post/21671987

That is funny. I think I might agree with you although I haven't had it that long, I'm still on the fence. I actually think my PSW110 looks better, I need to post it up on CS lol. I especially like the metal grill on the front of it, very protective against my two crazy cats. In fact the crappy grill on the S10.3 is the only thing I can find that I don't like about it. It looks fine but on the inside there is a frame AROUND the speaker. There is only fabric in front of it! I was thinking about maybe trying to reinforce it a little bit on the inside but I don't want the speaker bumping up against anything. I was hoping it would be like all the other grill's on my Polk's but nope, lol. I was playing some Splinter Cell last night and there is this bass hit every 10 or 20 seconds in co-op and man did it sound good. This was late and I had the volume down to minus 14 out of 15 on the sub! I usually run it at +5 during the day. It still sounded sooo good and I only have 10 hours on it so far lol. It wasn't loud at all but it was perfectly clear and soo subtle which is exactly what I want at night. I'm loving this sub more and more every time I listed to it

·
Registered
14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 /forum/post/21672305

You made me laugh

To the OP: If WAF would be better with an 8 inch sub, consider the Outlaw Audio M8 . I would choose it over those Energy 8" subs. Available on b-stock for $225 shipped . Here's a review at CNET .

Great thanks for the info. I am placing the subwoofer behind our dvd/cd cabinet. The energy 10.3 would have been hidden but need to arrange cabinet forward. The energy 8.3 would have been my first choice.

The Outlaw sounds great. Thanks cel4145 for listening.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Can anyone comment on the quality of the Veritas VS srround speaker as compared to the more mentioned surrounds like the axiom qs8, mirage omd-5 and energy erd-1?

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmuller /forum/post/21672658

Great thanks for the info. I am placing the subwoofer behind our dvd/cd cabinet. The energy 10.3 would have been hidden but need to arrange cabinet forward. The energy 8.3 would have been my first choice.

The Outlaw sounds great. Thanks cel4145 for listening.

Glad to help

So you know, Outlaw's b-stock is not crap. I have their EX sub that I ordered b-stock, and it has a tiny quarter-sized dent on the back corner that appears to have happened at the factor before painting. Other Outlaw Owners have reported no flaws at all.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 /forum/post/21672305

You made me laugh

Great idea, will it fits the smaller factor. I really like the idea of the 8.3 but dont seem able to fit in anywhere.

Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Now that I have all the speakers that I want, I must find ways to still participate in that thread

Concerning plugging ports... I have two questions / comments. First, batpig & Hank suggested I plugged both surrounds if one of them is on a library shelf close to a wall, and the other is in the open. If we plug the speaker to reduce bass reinforcement due to rear wall reflexion, that is, to make it sound like it's not back on the wall, wouldn't it be better to leave the other one unplugged?

Secondly, the bass reflex port is tuned at some low frequency to boost the speaker's bass response. Does anybody know to which frequency, say, the RC-10 and RC-LCR is tuned? I couldn't find that information. If it's lower than the sub crossover sued (80Hz in my case), that would explain why I didn't notice much difference between the plugged / unplugged states. If the bass reflex is tuned to say, 60Hz, in my case the question would be mostly moot.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Oh an not to spam this thread, but I just managed to sell my ESW-C8 for 160 bucks. Not bad I guess. Now on with the CC-5.

·
Registered
399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro /forum/post/21674129

Oh an not to spam this thread, but I just managed to sell my ESW-C8 for 160 bucks. Not bad I guess. Now on with the CC-5.

Can you forward the name of the Buyer, I have a Bridge to sell him

·
Registered
3,028 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAC21 /forum/post/21674480

Can you forward the name of the Buyer, I have a Bridge to sell him

CptMouse, of all (user)names

That being said... I don't think I ripped him off. The same sub is 300$ in the store right now. Of course there are better subs for 300$. But we're talking Canada here, so no Bic F12 at 188$ for us. The ESW-C8 doesn't have a very impressive low extension or output, but it does its job within his specs, and at 160$, I guess you could do worse.

Now I have to sell the CC-5, and no matter what price I'll be able to get, I'll feel dirty as I didn't like it at all...

·
Registered
49 Posts
So I am looking to upgrade my center channel, right now I am using the original Energy RVS. I was looking at the V-5.2C, is it a worthy upgrade for ~300 bucks?

·
Registered
30,002 Posts
not if your other speakers aren't also part of the new Veritas line. You don't just upgrade your center randomly, you want it to MATCH your front L/R speakers. So what are your other speakers?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Energy v1.8's.. so no matching those.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmuller /forum/post/21668980

Thanks all for the discussion. I am leaning towards the rc mini or rc v - mini with a sub.

Room is 15 x 15 with one regular entry and one double wide entry with pine floor boards.

Would a pioneer sw - 8, energy esw - 8, or a 10.3 be a better fit for the speakers? I saw a review where the 8.3 was matched and reviewed well>

thanks

I am tossed on a subwoofer. Energy 10.3, EW-100, Outlaw m8, or cheap it out with the pioneer sw8 at best buy(local so returns are simple).

Wish we had energy 8.3 still available????

Can I tuck sub behind CD/DVD audio cabinet?

·
Registered
399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmuller /forum/post/21675902

I am tossed on a subwoofer. Energy 10.3, EW-100, Outlaw m8, or cheap it out with the pioneer sw8 at best buy(local so returns are simple).

Wish we had energy 8.3 still available????

Can I tuck sub behind CD/DVD audio cabinet?

If money is a challenge, you are probably better off with the $85 Monoprice 12" sub vs. the Pioneer. Owner reviews are extremely positive.

37301 - 37320 of 56105 Posts