AVS Forum banner

5761 - 5780 of 56582 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
It would be nice to just be able to modify the original post with FAQs.

I know long standing forum members hate seeing the same question over and over, but it's not as easy to find info as it seems. And it's really a daunting task to feel you need to read the whole thread before posting a question.

I search the forum and brand specific threads before asking a question, but I have missed a post. It would just be nice to have a goto thread on the front page.

·
Registered
28,895 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuaySteve /forum/post/15570322

We could really use an "Energy Speaker sub forum" here instead of just the energy speaker thread... It would be nice to be able to create a couple stickies like Energy RC vs C-Series. If any of the mods happen to have the ear of upper management.

Wouldn't the best place to start an Energy sub forum be in the subwoofer section?

·
Registered
257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/15568958

all the talk is due to closeout deals on the current C-Series, which is the "entry level" offering from Energy being phased out for the new CF/CB/etc models. Not to be confused with the older "Connoisseur" lines (the original C-2/4/6/8 and the replacement C-1/3/5/7/9) which were the mid-tier offerings from '96 to 2004 or so, now replaced by the "Reference Connoissuer" RC models.

They now have confused things further by recreating the "Connoisseur" name but this will now be the entry level offering (CF/CB/etc) replacing the C-Series.

The C-500 will have better bass extension/slam but the RC-30 will be better in every other way, including the looks and fit/finish.

Ah!!! thanks for clarification.

As for the RC vs C, i'm crossing at 80hz anyway. So the C500 would actually sound worse than my RC30 based on what you said right?

I think i should upgrade my sub first. Currently running DPS-12 which doesnt cut it i think. As soon as i can find some cherry RC-50 or RC-70 i will upgrade the main.

Klipsch stops making any other finish other than black ash. Look at what they're doing with Mirage, they're gonna destroy Energy all together.

·
Registered
257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/15570640

Wouldn't the best place to start an Energy sub forum be in the subwoofer section?

I think he means Speaker sub forum. Not Sub Speaker forum. Clearly said by him

·
Registered
63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/15566700

awesome setup, C-500's up front and C-300's as surrounds. Good to have someone who actually owns both to give some direct comparison info, thanks!

How you like that Encore sub?

Well, I like it better now that it does not have much to do. It is used pretty much only for the LFE effects these days. My room acoustics are not that good, when I had 5 Encore speakers and the sub, all the bass came out of the sub and walking in the room, there were spots with booming bass and spots with no bass at all.

With the C-500's and the C-300's the problem is solved. Good, deep and solid bass everywhere.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have a 5.1 Energy setup. Based on my advice, my boss just purchased a setup consisting of

sub - ESW-8 x 1

center - C-C50 x 1

fronts - C-100 x 2

a/v receiver - Pioneer VSX-818V-K

He's going from TV speakers to these so he'll love it even without surrounds. My questions is, how can I get the best sound possible for this setup? I've heard of bi-amping but don't completely understand. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Thanks for the info batpig. My trigger finger won out last night before I went to bed, and I ended up ordering:

C-50s 2 pairs

C-C50

ESW-8

I foolishly ordered the subwoofer from Audio Advisor's main site at first before realizing it ended up costing more than doing it through them as an Amazon seller - oh well, it's only like $6 bucks more, hehe.

The set ends up being cheaper than buying a Take Classic and this is a move for work, so I hope to only be in an apartment for a year before deciding where in the area to buy something. In that case, I'll probably have a bigger space to fill so having the C-50s rather than the Take might be advantageous.

·
Registered
28,895 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IA_Chiefs_fan /forum/post/15570937

I have a 5.1 Energy setup. Based on my advice, my boss just purchased a setup consisting of

sub - ESW-8 x 1

center - C-C50 x 1

fronts - C-100 x 2

He's going from TV speakers to these so he'll love it even without surrounds. My questions is, how can I get the best sound possible for this setup? I've heard of bi-amping but don't completely understand. Any help would be appreciated.

You only listed your fronts, center and sub. So you actually have a 3.1 setup.

Do waste your time biamping. These speakers will run fine without doing that.

·
Registered
215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/15571004

You only listed your fronts, center and sub. So you actually have a 3.1 setup.

Do waste your time biamping. These speakers will run fine without doing that.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I currently have a 5.1 Energy setup. Now my boss has a 3.1 setup. They will be using it for 50% movies & tv and 50% music. I assume you meant to say "Do NOT waste..." correct???

·
Registered
28,895 Posts
yeah, don't waste your time bi-amping. Sorry.

Coming from a TV setup, your boss will be thrilled. If my C-100s ever arrive from woot I'll let you know how it sounds. tracking says they'll arrive tomorrow but last check they're still in Texas. We shall see.

·
Registered
30,146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by treepop /forum/post/15570960

Any one have a pic of the BIC PA-120(in black)? I am wondering if it will match my c100's

The BIC subs are black ash with a black glossy top/bottom, they are a perfect match for the C-Series.

Any of the BIC/PA subs (H-100, VK-12, PA-120) will take that logitech sub, chew it up, spit it out, and dance on its grave. You are talking about a totally different level.

Honestly, you need to spend some time in the subwoofer forum. The Energy owner's thread isn't really the place to discuss BIC vs. logitech subs

·
Registered
30,146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IA_Chiefs_fan /forum/post/15570937

sub - ESW-8 x 1

center - C-C50 x 1

fronts - C-100 x 2

Just hook up the speakers normally and run the MCACC auto-calibration for him, you should be good to go. Then you should play some program material and make fine tweaks to the subwoofer volume and tone controls (bass/treble) to season the sound to taste. He will be very impressed!

·
Registered
30,146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonT /forum/post/15570377

It would be nice to just be able to modify the original post with FAQs.

I know long standing forum members hate seeing the same question over and over, but it's not as easy to find info as it seems. And it's really a daunting task to feel you need to read the whole thread before posting a question.

I know it's tough, especially because this thread has just blown up with like 1,500 posts in the last 2-3 months with all this C-Series stuff. We'll just do the best we can with what we've got, it's not nearly as bad as some other "master" threads...

·
Registered
19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by treepop /forum/post/15570960

Any one have a pic of the BIC PA-120(in black)? I am wondering if it will match my c100's

*edit*

Is there a difference between the pa-120w and pa-120?

*edit #2*

I was thinking of using the sub from my computer 5.1....seen here:
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Z-530.../dp/B0000C20R9

Comments?

Thanks

There is a thread titled "Premier Acoustic PA 120" in the Sub woofer forum that has alot of pics. I just got mine and matched it to a set of Energy C series and it looks and sounds perfect. BTW, the PA is not affiliated with BIC, that is marketing baloney on that Ebay sellers website. People have actually talked to the seller and he stated that the PA-120 was made in the same factory as the BIC but it is not the same company, nor is it an updated Bic 100. Still a great sub for the money!

·
Registered
30,146 Posts
Hmm, interesting, I had always read that Premier Acoustic was a "sister" company to BIC America.

The ebay seller who sells the PA-120 as well as the BIC stuff (acoustic sound design / sound distributors) is an authorized BIC dealer, BTW. So, apparently the PA stuff is just BIC "knock offs"?

To be fair, he never claims it is an updated BIC H-100. He puts H-100 in the title/subtitle to get more hits on ebay searches, but in the ad it clearly states that it is a Premier Acoustic PA-120 and that it is a "NEW MODEL IS HERE FOR PREMIER ACOUSTIC", not BIC.

However, it is clear that he is trying to capitalize a bit on the confusion with the BIC. I'll have to read more about this...

·
Registered
203 Posts

Quote:
It's a constant source of confusion, but the LPF setting for the LFE has NOTHING AT ALL to do with the bass management!! It's totally irrelevant to the 80Hz crossover for your speakers.

All it does is "cap off" the LFE channel. Honestly, it shouldn't even be an available option since there's no reason to not have it at 120Hz. Just leave it there.

ok-so my sub dial is turned all the way up, the lpf of lfe is at 120hz, and the crossovers for the speakers is at 80hz

is that the best configuration, and should the phase be at zero.

Quote:
Hi mike,

The 2 RCA jacks on the back are really designed to to be used as L and R inputs. Yet there is only one subwoofer out on your receiver. . .? ? There is nothing wrong with your hookup. If you do get a Y adaptor, the signal effectively doubles up and will will get 3dB more output. There is a summing pre-amp in the subwoofer that will do this doubling(3 dB is twice as loud). If used this way you will only have to adjust the sub's volume control accordingly to have everything "blend"properly. No need to spend big bucks on this adaptor either, the one at Radio Shack/The Source is just fine.

The 80Hz setting seems alright. But there is still some work to do. You'll notice that on the back of the sub, there will be a phase switch. This allows the sub to work "push " or "pull with your main speakers. Try the sub at 0° with the same program material over and over and then switch to 180°. The sound with the "correct" setting will seem more fuller and you shouldn't notice the difference between the main speakers and the sub. They will sound "more together" kind of like a bigger set of speakers. A lot of variables will come into play like sub positioning (proximity to walls, corners) and the room itself. However it will take a bit of comparing and maybe even some tweaking of the volume control but the end result will be a more seamless system.

How is this advice

·
Registered
215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/15572215

Just hook up the speakers normally and run the MCACC auto-calibration for him, you should be good to go. Then you should play some program material and make fine tweaks to the subwoofer volume and tone controls (bass/treble) to season the sound to taste. He will be very impressed!

Okay, cool. Now this has me thinking... Should I bi-amp my fronts???

My setup is:

A/V Receiver - Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K

Fronts - C-200 x 2

Center - C-C100 x 1

Rears - C-100 x 2

My receiver is capable of 7.1 but I'm only utilizing 5.1. I do listen to a fair amount of music in Stereo. Would it be worth it for me to bi-amp my C-200's???

·
Registered
30,146 Posts
maybe, the only way to know is to try it and see for yourself. it won't actually double your power, FYI, what you are doing is called "passive bi-amping". Do some google searches or search on the speaker forum here at AVS for more info.

you may or may not notice a difference, so if you've got the extra speaker cable lying around give it a shot.

·
Registered
30,146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab2 /forum/post/15574503

ok-so my sub dial is turned all the way up, the lpf of lfe is at 120hz, and the crossovers for the speakers is at 80hz

is that the best configuration, and should the phase be at zero.

How is this advice

Yes, for a C-100/C-C100 setup I would say an 80Hz crossover all around is correct. Keep the LPF LFE all the way in the receiver (120Hz), and turn up the crossover knob on the subwoofer all the way as we said so it doesn't "interfere" with the digital bass management in the 606.

The additional tweaking of volume and phase is just going to be a personal thing that you have to fiddle around with until you are satisfied with the "blend" of the speakers. The Audyssey 2EQ system on your 606 doesn't touch the sub at all, so it's possible that you could achieve a smoother blend by fiddling with the phase dial a little bit.

The trick to dialing in phase manually is to get a friend, put on a really bass-heavy music selection, and you sit in the "captain's chair" at the main listening spot and have your friend slowly rotate the phase dial. The point at which the bass sounds the "smoothest" is the sweet spot. You will find that if the phase is off the bass can either cancel out (sound weak) or become very boomy.

If you google "setting subwoofer phase" you will find multiple how-to articles online. It's a tricky thing to get perfect, but it will make for a fun afternoon

5761 - 5780 of 56582 Posts