AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm close to buying the Energy RC-10 since it gets just rave reviews and its at an unbeatable price. I read a review though saying that these speakers are 'laid back'. Does this translate to boring?

Reason I ask....I listen to music with emotion e.g. Alicia Keys, Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra and really would like to feel the music. At the same time, I listen to vocal trance, classical, hip hop. Are these speakers for me?

If I get these, I will be pairing it with a decent sub and eventually going 5.1

·
Registered
581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TInyk /forum/post/20804775

I'm close to buying the Energy RC-10 since it gets just rave reviews and its at an unbeatable price. I read a review though saying that these speakers are 'laid back'. Does this translate to boring?

Reason I ask....I listen to music with emotion e.g. Alicia Keys, Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra and really would like to feel the music. At the same time, I listen to vocal trance, classical, hip hop. Are these speakers for me?

Which reviews are you reading. I'm having difficulty finding any.

EDIT:

Ignore my comment, I thought you meant CR-10.

·
Registered
421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TInyk /forum/post/20804775

"laid back" usually means, not bright, slightly recessed mid range as opposed to a "in your face sound". All subjective.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
'Laid back' doesn't mean boring. It just means not like the CF series where it has a sort of metallic high all the time (bright), and is more like a natural sound (like well balanced on frequencies).

·
Registered
151 Posts
For the current prices that you can find them at (about half original MSRP), the Energy RC-10 are spectacular for music, especially classical. I have a set in my office. You won't be disappointed with this speaker sound-wise. You can only be disappointed in it psychologically by reading these forums too seriously. There are many speakers that better the RC-10. They just don't cost $300.

Jim

·
Registered
151 Posts
That center is closer to the CF series of speakers. The centers that match the RC-10 are the RC-LCR or RC-mini (as you've said.) Keep checking Ebay for the RC-mini center channel. One will pop up.

Jim

·
Registered
2,224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TInyk /forum/post/20807369

Would this center match the RC-10?
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...center-channel

I don't have enough room at all for the RC-LCR. I've been trying to find the RC-Mini CC but no luck at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesley63 /forum/post/20807931

That center is closer to the CF series of speakers. The centers that match the RC-10 are the RC-LCR or RC-mini (as you've said.) Keep checking Ebay for the RC-mini center channel. One will pop up.

Jim

The V-Mini Center is essentially a refreshed version of the RC-Mini Center... Sonically, it may sound a bit different than the RC-Mini Center - likely more forward in the highs (based on accounts and measurements comparing new Veritas speakers with the RC counterparts)...

But generally speaking, it appears to use the same tweeter as the RC-Mini, and the woofers are very similar... Otherwise, specs are basically the same...

So while the RC-LCR or RC-Mini Center would be a better match, the V-Mini Center would match better than anything from the CB/CF line...

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Here is what I have learned over the years.

laidback - highs are softened as not to become edgy. The sound comes from the area of the speakers or slightly in-front of or behind the speakers, not in you face aggressive. If you were in a concert hall, this would be like being a few rows back from the middle.

Forward - highs and or mid-range are pushed forward towards the listener, more aggressive edgy sound that would be akin to sitting in the front row of the concert hall.

Dark, - loss of detail in the highs and mids as the sound is recessed, like being in the very back of the highest balcony of a concert hall.

Neutral - between laidback and forward, the sound is very natural the highs and mids are neither softened or overly pushed, It would be like sitting right in the middle of a concert hall.

warm - a push in the mid-range and lower treble. its warm, but not hot(bright)

Bright - a push in the highs where they become fatiguing and edgy, like sound is forced up you ear.

the RC-10s will sound warm and laidback, but they were designed with jazz, vocals, acoustics in mind.

Reactions: saiguy and Manamb

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 /forum/post/20808924

Here is what I have learned over the years.

laidback - highs are softened as not to become edgy. The sound comes from the area of the speakers or slightly in-front of or behind the speakers, not in you face aggressive. If you were in a concert hall, this would be like being a few rows back from the middle.

Forward - highs and or mid-range are pushed forward towards the listener, more aggressive edgy sound that would be akin to sitting in the front row of the concert hall.

Dark, - loss of detail in the highs and mids as the sound is recessed, like being in the very back of the highest balcony of a concert hall.

Neutral - between laidback and forward, the sound is very natural the highs and mids are neither softened or overly pushed, It would be like sitting right in the middle of a concert hall.

warm - a push in the mid-range and lower treble. its warm, but not hot(bright)

Bright - a push in the highs where they become fatiguing and edgy, like sound is forced up you ear.

the RC-10s will sound warm and laidback, but they were designed with jazz, vocals, acoustics in mind.

That helps a lot. I always wondered what these words exactly meant.

Ordered the center and RC-10

BIC H100 is next (can't afford more because I chose the Energy RC 10 over the Cambridge S30, lol).

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'm unable to audition the RC-10 and i'm not totally sure i understand this laid back sound quality. I like clear detailed treble. I've had Infinity Primus before which i liked quite a bit. I also have had Polk Tsi300 which i wasn't happy with, but i believe both are considered fairly bright speakers. Neither seemed too forward or bright to me.

I listen to a lot of "indie" pop/rock. so cymbals, drums, etc. also a fair amount of electronic sounds. A lot can be vocal driven as well.

Does the character of the RC-10 mesh with what i'm describing? Or would i feel like i'm wearing ear muffs?

·
Registered
4,967 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBDan /forum/post/20822070

I'm unable to audition the RC-10 and i'm not totally sure i understand this laid back sound quality. I like clear detailed treble. I've had Infinity Primus before which i liked quite a bit. I also have had Polk Tsi300 which i wasn't happy with, but i believe both are considered fairly bright speakers. Neither seemed too forward or bright to me.

I listen to a lot of "indie" pop/rock. so cymbals, drums, etc. also a fair amount of electronic sounds. A lot can be vocal driven as well.

Does the character of the RC-10 mesh with what i'm describing? Or would i feel like i'm wearing ear muffs?

I'm an RC-10 owner, have about the same musical tastes as you, along with other music with emotion - Latin, hip hop and delta blues. All of them sound excellent with the RC-10. I have played both the RC mini CC with them and the RC-LCR. Both are strong in their own way, but the RC-LCR is far away a better speaker. That doesn't diminish the mini, though since it is a very clear and capable speaker, just doesn't have the power and ability in the bass areas that the RC-LCR does. Both are excellent speakers and would be great with the RC 10's.

If you like trebble that performs well, the tweeters of the RC line are very capable of carrying the range of music, and doing so as you increase volume without being tiring. I have a bedroom system with RC 10's and an RC mini CC and a living room system with RC 50's / RC LCR; both are excellent in carrying music that reaches the upper registers.

Ultimately, you have to judge yourself. Maybe you can check the new Veritas out at a Magnolia, they are fairly close in sound to the RC's

·
Registered
29,191 Posts
Does Magnolia carry the Veritas line?

TXBDan, get the RC-10s, You're never going to get the right answers for your questions until you listen to them yourself. If you don't like them, return or sell the RC-10s. You'll get your money back if you sell them because they are in scarce supply. The last two used pairs went for $300 and $325 on ebay incl shipping. If you return to Vanns it might cost you $25 in shipping which is minimal to ensure you bought the right speakers.

You really don't have much to lose by ordering and trying the RC-10s in your home.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Thanks guys. I think i have it narrowed down to the RC-10s or PSB Image B5s or B6s.

Have you guys by chance heard these as well?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Agree with Afrogt, buy'em, you'll probably like them. I don't know if Magnolia carries the Veritas, I thought they might since I saw an energy line there about a year ago (CF-*?).

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I would not think of speakers as boring or exciting. I would more in terms of annoying characteristics (ideally, they would accurately reproduce the input signal.)

In my experience, it seems bass is the most obvious issue, when there's an obvious issue. Some speakers seem to reproduce bass so it sounds "boomy". Or maybe you could call it uncontrolled.

I have never figured out why some speakers produce the high frequencies poorly. Sibilance (harsh sounding S's) that you are not hearing with good headphones would be an obvious source of annoyance. You regularly hear this with poor bar/nightclub systems. Never been sure if this is commonly due to lack of power (you are hearing distortion,) or due to crappy speakers.

My best advice for understanding speakers, is to pick up a good set of headphones (I use Grado SR60s,) and carefully listen to some piece of music you know, then play that back on the speakers. If it sounds too different, you have to decide if you can live with the difference. Obviously I am placing stock in the SR60 phones being accurate enough as a reference.

I find headphones especially helpful, because they remove the room response effect, and have demonstrated to me that some problems I have heard are in the recording itself. For example, a lot of 70s rock has ill defined/muddy bass, and no speaker is going to fix that - don't blame the speaker when it's the recording

·
Registered
515 Posts
Thanks all. RC-10s are down to $280 shipped at Vanns.com now so i placed an order. They should be here later this week, woot.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts