AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
I have RC-10s paired with a NAD 325BEE in my office/spare bedroom and I think it's a fantastic budget 2 channel system!

However, I have B&W 685/686/HTM62 in the den running off a Marantz 8002 receiver & Emotiva RPA-2 amp.**

I am somewhat torn between the two - the B&W setup is in a "better" room and is connected to better equipment, but I have brought the Energys out to the den before for side-by-side comparisons. If you listen at lower volumes as I do in the office I think the Energy's do a little better, or at least as good. They are very smooth. But, once the volume reaches about 80 dB the B&W is the clear winner to me. The "punch" is there without being overbearing and the clarity is outstanding with no fatigue issues.

Here's another thread on the same topic...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...844&highlight=

Honestly I don't think you can go wrong with either. The Energy's can be had at a deep discount while the B&Ws most likely cannot. For around $350 the Energys are great, but I honestly think the 685 may be the best of the "budget" monitors. Certainly the best I've heard at $600 or less.

** I realize that this is a lot of source expense for just a bookshelf speaker, but the idea is to upgrade to 683s on the front within the next year or so

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey..nobody repies

I demoed B&W 685...it was good ...but they cost more ($540..)

I am currently using paradigm Atom v6...i purchased Mini Monitor v6...but it was some what boomy...i feel like i lost some midrange...so i returned them....i can get RC 10 for 299 shipped....it is very small room 11 X 11.. any idea????

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HeyThanks for the reply..

I dont want to spend more for speakers...i can swap my paradigm for B&W

then it comes $ 450...i dont listen very high level volume i dont know 80 db you are referring..
but 1-10...i will never go out of 5..as i live in apartment.) i dont want to upgrade for another 1-2 years....i am using uppo 980 with CA dac magic...I am more into details & dynamics than lows and highs.....

I never heard energys..( i bought take clasic for HT..i didnt like and returned)

· Registered
725 Posts
I found the 685 very bright and I heard them in a well treated demo room at a dealer. On the other hand the RC-10 were smooth and not forward like the 685. I might take the B&W for a movie only room but would definitely take the RC-10 for music.

· Registered
287 Posts
Where can you get RC-10s shipped for $299? Vanns is already all out...The RC-10 is more than enough for a room of your size. My room is 16 x 12, and they still manage to do extremely well in filling it. I'm currently a student (and also part-time software/tech intern), so I can't afford more expensive gear at this time. Picked up the RC-10s recently, and was very impressed with the sound:

The Energy's are pretty amazing for the price - incredibly smooth, almost sweet sounding high-end, completely uncolored, laid-back midrange, and an impactful, fast bass, extended for its size (down to ~50-55Hz) The RC-10 produce sound that fairly huge, almost like small towers, and they play fairly easily. They actually caught my eye at first because of their gorgeous look, real wood veneer with modern/exotic looking drive units...reminds me of Dynaudio build quality, (but way more neutral sounding, perhaps a touch warm in the bass) but the sound would have blown me away if I had not owned quality speakers beforehand (Polk LSi15). I'm running them off a vintage Onkyo integrated amplifier for right now, hoping to upgrade to a NAD or Rotel integrated amp soon.

Haven't heard the B&W 685s (heard 7xx), but to me, B&W retains that "British" quality, the much more polite, neutral, almost dry sound....which is nice in some situations, but never really musically engaging to my ears...also, the 685s are unlikely to be found at a huge discount, were they to be, they would be a much larger competitor to the RC-10s...

· Registered
76 Posts
Yep, there's no doubt that different people have different opinions - and I'd be willing to be that my hearing is not as sensitive as yours, VectorLabs. Too many races and rock concerts over the years for me
. Although I can still hear upward of 15K Hz on a good day. Seriously, people go on and on about this stuff and I'd be willing to bet that varying degrees and types of hearing damage is one major cause of contention among forum discussions.

Anyway, like I said before I don't think you can go wrong either way. As DeusExa mentioned, the fit and finish on the Energys is simply fantastic for the price. This is the one area where B&W really needs to improve in the 600 series. That vinyl needs to go!
Although the rubberized facing is very nice.

If budget and appearance aren't as important I'd still suggest the 685 (just me). But, for $300 shipped and a going into a small room I don't think you could possibly find a reason to complain about the RC-10s. I bought mine from Audio Advisor in the spring of 2008 for around $370 shipped and have not regretted the purchase one bit! And assuming you have the option of returning them, even better. Send them back and get the B&Ws if necessary.

· Registered
287 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manizkrishnan /forum/post/16857242

RC 10 Black..i quoted as 299...they said they can offer that price.....THis is for 90% music an 10% movies...

So Vanns is offering the black rc-10 for $299? That's decent of them...but the cherry/rosenut finishes are amazing...pity...Are you located in the US? Your english is a bit iffy lol jk

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusExa /forum/post/16857380

So Vanns is offering the black rc-10 for $299? That's decent of them...but the cherry/rosenut finishes are amazing...pity...Are you located in the US? Your english is a bit iffy lol jk

Yes i am :.....typing from office....seated near by my lead....thats why some typos and mistakes...forgive me

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.