AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately neither Energy nor Definitive Technology products are available for audition anywhere close to me. While I read many recommendations and endorsements here on AVSForum's speaker area, I've been unable to get a feel for the sonic signatures / characteristics of these model lines from these two manufacturers.

While I have a great stereo system that employs bi-amped, subwoofer augmented, modified Magneplanar IIIa speakers, my HT system's speaker setup is pedestrian at best. The hardware I'm running includes a 65" MITS WS-65315 RPTV, Onkyo TX-SR705S AVR, Oppo DV-680H, EchoStar ViP211k, an old Sony VCR, and vintage JVC turntable (the picture below is outdated but presents the HT area). The room measures 30' x 16' with an 18' opening on one side. The viewing position is 16' from the screen. I'm using a variety of old vintage (10 to >25 years old) pieces along with a 2 year old Outlaw sub for a 7+1 system. The mains, center, and 4 satellites all are earmarked for replacement.

I do not like bright top ends nor artificially boosted mid-bass but rather speakers that are both true to what they are reproducing as well as capable of excellent dynamic range and expansive soundstage. That said I'm a retiree that also wants to stay in a reasonable range regarding costs. The Energy RC and DT BP Series price ranges (e.g. RC50, RC70, BP8B, BP10B as possibilities for mains, etc.) are reflective of that goal.

I was able to briefly audition the Paradigm Monitor 7 and 9 today. The 7's sounded a tad veiled and laid back to me as some micro-detail from some tracks I was familiar with were not in evidence. And unfortunately there was a driver issue with one of the Monitor 9s so I wasn't able to really get a good sense of them. I may be a tad spoiled given what I'm able to hear with my Maggie system. That and after reading so many positive reviews of the Monitor 7 it may be that the huge wide setup wasn't all that conducive to a good read. I'll probably go back with some of my material to wring them out properly just to make sure. That and their Martin Logan rep will be in to setup the demo systems as part of their having just taken on this make.

I'd appreciate any sonic descriptions of the aforementioned RC / BP Series systems, or any other suitable candidates that fit my desires as outlined above.

Appreciate it!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, here's what I have managed to pick up thusfar.

Energy RC 70 and 50 are laid back but refined (smooth, detailed, natural) and not bright but perhaps better described as neutral to slightly warm. Good sound stage and imaging. Unclear about dynamic range.

Definitive Technology BP 10B and 8B have a wide life-like sound stage due to its bi-polar radiation. Highs are crisp, clean, and smooth. Some disagreement on whether the accurate midrange is slightly recessed or not. Again unclear about dynamic range. The 10B is rather power hungry and may not mate well with modest AVRs. Both may present placement challenges.

Still looking for comparative comments or suggestions as to what might be better.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I can comment on the definitives since I have lived with them for 8+ years.

Bipolars throw a wide, deep sound stage. They are more sensitive to room boundaries then mono poles. Some people have said bipolars are too diffuse for stereo playback, I disagree. They sound very life like and enveloping to me. I had an older model bipolar system and decided it was time to audition and possibly upgrade. I auditioned several speakers. Some were very impressive, others were not. I wound up purchasing the next set up from what I had. I am happy with my choice.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I found a steal with a short fuse and jumped on it. NIB Definitive Technology BP8s. Would have preferred BP10Bs but again this was too good to pass up.

We used to have a local dealer that carried these and a year or more ago I went with a friend who wears a hearing aid to audition a variety of brands. He absolutely loves my Magneplanars as they do not irritate him at all. They lit off some Klipsch mini-towers first and I thought they'd have to peel him from the ceiling. Very bright and annoyingly irritating for him. I recall not being pleased either. Anyhow we went through a variety there and at another location with the DTs being the only ones whose top end seemed smooth and accurate without being irritating. He ended up having to defer any purchase due to some other emergent pressing issues.

I wasn't in the market then but as stated am now... my old mains are failing. So given this memory and a sweet deal, I committed. We'll see how this works out.

Still curious as to what folks would pony up in the way of an answer to my initial query though which essentially asked what, if not Definitive Technology or Energy, would be a good speaker line for HT use to consider for a Magneplanar lover.

BTW, thanks Bartman for your lone response

·
Banned
873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A (SD) /forum/post/17054698

Well I found a steal with a short fuse and jumped on it. NIB Definitive Technology BP8s. Would have preferred BP10Bs but again this was too good to pass up.

We used to have a local dealer that carried these and a year or more ago I went with a friend who wears a hearing aid to audition a variety of brands. He absolutely loves my Magneplanars as they do not irritate him at all. They lit off some Klipsch mini-towers first and I thought they'd have to peel him from the ceiling. Very bright and annoyingly irritating for him. I recall not being pleased either. Anyhow we went through a variety there and at another location with the DTs being the only ones whose top end seemed smooth and accurate without being irritating. He ended up having to defer any purchase due to some other emergent pressing issues.

I wasn't in the market then but as stated am now... my old mains are failing. So given this memory and a sweet deal, I committed. We'll see how this works out.

Still curious as to what folks would pony up in the way of an answer to my initial query though which essentially asked what, if not Definitive Technology or Energy, would be a good speaker line for HT use to consider for a Magneplanar lover.

BTW, thanks Bartman for your lone response

Search the forums for John Tchilinguirian and you'll come across my reasons as to why, when Energy RC series is in question, they would be a really good bet against many other speakers systems.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mark,

Interesting. I found your post here to perhaps be the most informative:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...1&postcount=18

But R&D alone doesn't guarantee the best sonic result. I just wish I could have auditioned them.

Having talked to Vann's about when the RC70 / RC LCR in Rosenut will next be available, I conceivably will have had an opportunity to run the BP8Bs, albeit not fully broken in, first. If I'm not happy I can order the Energy and then do a comparo with the loser gifted to one of my sons. We'll see.....

·
Banned
873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A (SD) /forum/post/17056470

Mark,

Interesting. I found your post here to perhaps be the most informative:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...1&postcount=18

But R&D alone doesn't guarantee the best sonic result. I just wish I could have auditioned them.

Having talked to Vann's about when the RC70 / RC LCR in Rosenut will next be available, I conceivably will have had an opportunity to run the BP8Bs, albeit not fully broken in, first. If I'm not happy I can order the Energy and then do a comparo with the loser gifted to one of my sons. We'll see.....

It doesn't ensure it, but it sure is a huge head-start for those few companies who have decades of experience, a great track record, world-class research and dedicated & motivated industry-leading staff. Many companies have on or two of those things, but only a few have all of them. Plus, Energy practices double bind testing, so you know those speakers have been evaluated by real people listening in the most un-biased way possible. The vast majority of speakers do not get evaluated anywhere near that rigorously.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mark,

I absolutely agree that it gives a huge leg up. Still there's nothing like an audition. Better yet one where you intend to install the units

During my search there were quite a few brands that piqued my interest. An example was the LSA2 Tower from the LSA Audio Group. But again no possibility of an audition. At least with the BP8, it has crossed my aural path before. Including the Energy RC70 / RC50 in my short list should say something too despite my soliciting add ons.

--Bob

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Hi Bob - isn't speaker shopping fun?

My Brother in Law has some maggies (smaller ones) but unfortunately I've never had the pleasure of listening to them.

I use the RC-70's for mains in my h/t setup, along with an RC-LCR for the center and RC-10's for my surrounds (5.1).

I also switch up in a separate two channel rig Energy Veritas 2.2i and the Totem Hawks.

I've never heard Def tech.

What you described in your post above about the sonic charactersistics of the the RC line is pretty much spot on. They are slightly laid back, the dynamic range is good IMO. The speakers are not at all fatiquing, and though they are a bit on the warm side they are very neutral. I really like the sound stage/imaging of these speakers (which is what sold me on them). A very real 3d like sound to them. @ 90db's they're also very sensitive and can be driven easily by smaller tube amps but can handle lots of power as well (I have tubes in my two channel rig).

The Veritas are more detailed and more forward than the RC line, bass is a bit tighter, and the mids seem a bit more detailed as well. Tone is pretty close though, and the RC's play louder (more sensitive).

Not sure if any of this helps or not. I've read a lot of good things about def tech (and maggies - gotta go listen someday) as well though they are different sounding.

I guess the bottom line is getting a pair of 50's or 70's in your home to compare would be best. In the end, you need to live with them. Best of luck in getting a pair, but sounds like you already have a great deal, if you're satisfied with the Def techs maybe you should just stay with them and call it a day?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kaptain,

It all helps; thank you

Interesting comparison between the Veritas and RC lines. As well as your use of Totems in addition to the RCs between your twin systems. Bet they provide some very pleasing sound.

Another Maggie owner (you really do need to listen to some properly set up) suggested Snell speakers (in addition to Definitive Technology) as having a sonic signature and imaging / soundstage characteristics that would appeal to someone who enjoyed Magneplanars. It's been literally decades since I've heard any Snells so I have no clue here. It's tough to contrast bi-polar planars and box speakers

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The BP8Bs arrived earlier today. I've spent the afternoon and all this evening tweaking the placement, balancing things with the other pieces in my set up, and running a variety of source material to observe performance. Audyssey settings ultimately were tweaked by ear for the final settings I adopted. Among the material I used to set things up is an interesting CD / DVD with DTS 5.1 mix that I picked up a few years back based on others recommendations. BT: This Binary Universe

Ironically I was able to place the DefTechs quite close to where the previous speakers were as shown in the picture earlier in this thread The distance to the front wall is much much more than the owner's manual recommends but I suspect the other stuff in and around the Mits TV had an effect on placement.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts