AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just purchased the following from the Reference Connoisseur line: RC-30 speakers, a RC-10 sub and a RC-LCR. I am still waiting to pick them up as the sub has just been released and they are waiting for stock. From what I heard in the store these speakers sound incredible and definitely an upgrade from my old Energy 3.1e's.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
woodtech,

Where did you buy them from, A&B Sound? I might have to make a trip down there tonight.

After you get some in home listening done, report back with your thoughts on these.

Thanks,

Brad

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I did pick them up at A & B sound. Hopefully I should have the speakers fairly quick. The sub could be a few weeks.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I have a hard time understanding the 50% price increase over the Connoisseur line they replaced...

John

·
Registered
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Robert
I have a hard time understanding the 50% price increase over the Connoisseur line they replaced...

John

They must be at least 50% better than the original Connoisseurs--only logic explanation I can think of besides profit. :)

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frottage
They must be at least 50% better than the original Connoisseurs--only logic explanation I can think of besides profit. :)
Well I was at A&B last night and had a listen to the RC-50's and RC-30's. They had them setup with Denon electronics. (receivers and cd/dvd players) I can say that yes they are at least 50% better than the previous Connoisseur line which they also had setup.

They didn't have them setup in a proper sound room, but I can say from my brief listening that they have a very smooth midrange (almost too laid back), high's sounded very nice and extended without sounding harsh at all, and the low end was very robust and extended very deep (typical for Energy) especially for the size of the drivers.

I am definitely going to go back and have a more serious listen to them. They got my attention not only in the sound department, but also the cabinet work looks to be first rate. The finish in the rosenut was very attractive and the drivers looked really good placed in the cabinets.

Brad

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
My employer recently started carrying Energy. I have been very happy with their product so far. The Ref Con series has outstanding build quality and beautiful finishes available. I really like the sound too.

We had a training a few days ago, and the gentleman from API said there is a new lower line C-series coming out. He also mentioned they will have a flagship speaker, and although I didn't get a chance to find out more specifics, he said it will retail $10,000/pair. Should be fun!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
If anyone has a chance to see these speakers in person, I highly recommend doing so. The pictures on the internet do not do justice at all to seeing them in person.

I would have liked to have seen the cherry finish on these, but they didn't have any of them out.

That new flagship sounds interesting! The Veritas 2.8 was hailed the world over as a reference class speaker, and they were $6,000/pair (Canadian) new.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bradad, none of the A & B stores I have been to put the cherry finish on display, seems to be just the rosenut finish. I finally did get my speakers except for the sub and the cherry finish is very nice as well. I agree with you that the bass from these speakers is amazing.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
We put black, rosenut, and cherry all on display. The cherry finish is nice. It looks kind of like the finish on my cherry Polk LSi15's. Hard to tell for sure because of lighting differences between home and work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just picked up the RC-50's and RC-10's in Rosenut. They look really nice and look like they are made with quality components and cabinetry. I picked them up at the Good Guys going out of business sale. The RC-50's were $900 and the RC-10's were $330. I also got a Denon AVR-4806 for $2450 all of the items were brand new still in boxes. They don't offer anytype of warranty on them besides the manufactors warranty. I can wait to set up my new system and see how it sounds.

·
Registered
444 Posts
For those of you who have purchased the Reference Connoisseur's, where are they made? I believe that Energy shifted production of the Connoisseurs from Canada to China, but what about the newer Reference Connoisseurs? If they're still made in Canada, the higher labor costs may explain some of the price difference.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Many things are made in China. People shift their attention to price, price, price and manufacturers must be able to make a profit so they find cheap labor. Gotta love the internet. I wouldnt be concerned though, API is a world class company dedicated to producing high quality products at all prices.

I recently sold a set of Kef XQ series, and noticed something strange. The XQ5 floorstanders for 3K retail was made in China, and the XQ1 bookshelfs 1500 retail made in Europe. Very interesting.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Robert

John
Well, the simple explanation is: the RC series isn't a replacement for the Connoisseur line.

There is a new Connoisseur line, that replaces the Connoisseur line :)

http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/about/news.php

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.