AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My sub started crackling after watching a Interstellar (fantastic movie btw) and I am quite certain after speaking with tech support from energy (now Klipsch) that it is due to a faulty amplifier. I did the pushing the cone test and it is nice and spongy.

That being said, I unscrewed the plate (no, it isn't under warranty unfortunately) and am staring at the plate amplifier. I have seen replacements that may be suitable such as the Bash 300S, but i am really looking for someone with some knowledge to lend me a thought or two on the proper route to take.

Being fairly technical, but not an electrician I do not see any blown capacitors or singed electronics. Fuse is not blown. Being thrifty as I am and enjoying holding onto my cash, I am looking into alternatives to buying a total replacement. Is there a guide to test the amplifier boards? Something to check with a meter?

It wont let me post pics but I can try and send a link on PM if that will help.

Thanks a bunch,
Kory

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No it only crackles at medium/high scenes not low. I didn't have the sub cranked up very high so i am supprised the amp failed but here i am! Is it possible to test the driver and replace only it or can it be swapped out?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright! So I hooked my old subwoofer amp to my new sub and it still made the popping at higher levels.

Do you agree it is most likely the sub cone that is blown somehow? I can get a new one from the mfg for $120 before shipping, but is there something aftermarket i should consider? This is a 10" subwoofer.

Thanks all!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.