AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would share this with everyone. Newegg has the energy s10.3 subwoofer on sale today till 6/11/12 for $199 shipped! Im debating if I should pull the trigger on this one. I was planning to get the hsu stf-2 but at this price for the energy subwoofer I just might
 

·
Writer & Reviewer
Joined
·
8,842 Posts
There's no indication of your room size or usage, so it's hard to give a definitive answer, but the price is certainly compelling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson  /t/1414795/energy-s10-3-subwoofer-on-sale#post_22120561


There's no indication of your room size or usage, so it's hard to give a definitive answer, but the price is certainly compelling.


Just ordered the Energy s10.3 i couldnt resist the price.
 

·
Writer & Reviewer
Joined
·
8,842 Posts
Congrats! Be sure to let us know what you think of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got the Energy s10.3 subwoofer today. My first impressions were "Wow". This thing is ginormous. I put in some music with bass. This thing really hits low. It sound tight and clean. Im very impressed with it. However, i dont know how to use and of the knobs in the back like the crossover or phase knob on the back of it. Does anyone own a energy s10.3 that can help me out?


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1  /t/1414795/energy-s10-3-subwoofer-on-sale#post_22127350


If you have an AVR with your sub/speaker crossover set, either turn the subs x-over all the way up, or put it in bypass mode (B). Leave the phase at 0.


Whats a AVR? audio video receiver? My speakers(audioengine 5+ and subwoofer are both powered so i am not using a receiver. There connected to each other with rca to the audioengine D1 to my computer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1  /t/1414795/energy-s10-3-subwoofer-on-sale#post_22127375


Okay, set the crossover to where your speakers roll off. You can go by what the specs say is -3db point, or you can play test tones until the volume drops off.


im sorry. Im new to this and i dont know what you mean by roll off. Whats the -3db point?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,512 Posts
The low end of your speakers bass response. I just looked at your speakers specs, they state 50hz, so if that's true you would turn the subs crossover all the way down to 50. If you find some frequency specific test tones you can find the reality of this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1  /t/1414795/energy-s10-3-subwoofer-on-sale#post_22127393


The low end of your speakers bass response. I just looked at your speakers specs, they state 50hz, so if that's true you would turn the subs crossover all the way down to 50. If you find some frequency specific test tones you can find the reality of this.


Yes thats correct. Ok so i have the crossover to 50. Where should i have the phase at? 0?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1  /t/1414795/energy-s10-3-subwoofer-on-sale#post_22127396


Yes. You would need to measure the system response to see if there is an out of phase suck out. You could also play test tones to check for that. You would then have to slowly adjust the phase and re check.


Correct me if im wrong. So basically meaning their woofers move in and out in synch with each other? how can i play test tones?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
I bought the Energy 10.3 from NewEgg on Monday, installed it yesterday, and have been enjoying it last night and tonight. I read some NewEgg reviews about it crapping out so I uncharacteristically opted to pay the $32 for three years of NewEgg replacement warranty.


My setup is modest and occupies a 13'x13' parlor with high ceilings:
  • BenQ W1200
  • 106" Da-lite screen
  • Denon AVR-1612
  • Cerwin Vega 6" bookshelf speakers on Sanus 30" stands
  • Energy 10.3 sub
  • HTPC
  • Comcast HD box


I fired up Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows, which is a bad movie but has plenty of explosions and other sound effects. I'm delighted with how everything sounds - all the audio stuff apart from the little Cerwin Vega fronts are newly purchased.


Kind of a meandering post, but my point is: if you're in the market for an affordable sub, I for one think the Energy 10.3 does the job quite well.


I'd also recommend that any beginners consider getting something like the Denon AVR with Audyssey to tune up their whole setup. It doesn't cost much and the results are impressive for budget gear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozekitty  /t/1414795/energy-s10-3-subwoofer-on-sale#post_22130351


I bought the Energy 10.3 from NewEgg on Monday, installed it yesterday, and have been enjoying it last night and tonight. I read some NewEgg reviews about it crapping out so I uncharacteristically opted to pay the $32 for three years of NewEgg replacement warranty.

My setup is modest and occupies a 13'x13' parlor with high ceilings:
  • BenQ W1200
  • 106" Da-lite screen
  • Denon AVR-1612
  • Cerwin Vega 6" bookshelf speakers on Sanus 30" stands
  • Energy 10.3 sub
  • HTPC
  • Comcast HD box

I fired up Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows, which is a bad movie but has plenty of explosions and other sound effects. I'm delighted with how everything sounds - all the audio stuff apart from the little Cerwin Vega fronts are newly purchased.

Kind of a meandering post, but my point is: if you're in the market for an affordable sub, I for one think the Energy 10.3 does the job quite well.

I'd also recommend that any beginners consider getting something like the Denon AVR with Audyssey to tune up their whole setup. It doesn't cost much and the results are impressive for budget gear.

Congrats! Good idea on the warranty. I didn't get it but maybe I should of. You think I can still get it? I purchase my sub on Monday as well. Or maybe i can get it through square trade. $30 for 3 years. Ive been trying to break mine in slowly as the manual says. Then ill be blasting
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top