AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day.

My current setup is the Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers with a Pioneer 1019 receiver.

This has been an amazing system for movies, music and video games. Clear, clean sound, with lots of connectivity! Excellent.

My issue has arisen when we hold keggers at our house. Consistently, the system has blown out (3 times now.) After the first time, we placed a house hold fan in the equipement area, but it only gave the system another few hours of play time. The system dies around 1-2am, at which time we swap in a budget receiver.

When doing research for solutions to this problem, I have heard many different things, however they were from sales people, so I am wary. So far, factors I have changed to try and resolve the issue include: adding a fan to help cool the system, removing excess electronics from the t.v. stand to avoid over heating, and swapping the main left/ right speakers with tower speakers. None of these changes have helped.

My questions to the forum:

- Is this receiver powerful enough to sustain long term, loud music?

- are these speakers appropriate for this type of party?

-What type of changes could you suggest to ensure the system doesn't crash mid-party>?
Thanks again for all of your suggestions. I need to resolve this issue before next party!!!

-Brian

·
Registered
29,193 Posts
Take Classics for a kegger party? Are you kiddin' me?

Those speakers are definitely not appropriate for your kegger parties! They have 3" drivers. Of course they blow up when you turn it up loudly. They're not made for large rooms nor are they made to play at high volumes. Are you really expecting tiny satellite speakers to be party speakers? You're foolin' yourself!

Get some bigger more efficent speakers if you want to play music at party levels. Look at some Cerwin Vegas if that's your main purpose!

http://www.amazon.com/Cerwin-Vega-VE.../dp/B000EI0EBS
http://www.amazon.com/Cerwin-Vega-VE.../dp/B000EI0EBS

or some tower speakers with horn tweeters and high sensitivity like Klipsch or BIC Acoustech.
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...tml?rcmndsrc=2

you also may want to look at professional DJ speakers and sound systems for your parties.
http://www.planetdj.com/i--PR15
http://www.planetdj.com/i--EPA900

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks for the link to the dj speakers, I like the idea of those. And to clarify just as a FYI, we have not blown the speakers, we have simply overheated the Amp.

A couple of further questions:

- Is it better to dumb down the system to two large tower speakers, eliminating the mid and two rears for big parties?

- What is the science reason why the larger speakers work more efficiently than the smaller speakers?

- What kind of limits do I have on the Pioneer 1019 amp. What specs should I be looking at in order to understand what speakers they will match with?
Once again, thanks for your input. I am trying to teach myself a little more about the science in order to have a better understanding for my next purchase!

-Brian

·
Registered
29,193 Posts
There's the laws of physics that will tell you a 3" driver cannot push enough air to fill a decent sized room. A speaker with 12" or 15" woofers will do a much better job than a satellite speaker with a 3" woofer.

There are small speakers that also have high sensitivity. Klipsch makes plenty of them. A speaker with a 96db sensitivity rating will take a lot less power to play at the same volume level as one with a rating of 89db like your Take Classics. 89db is actually right around the average, Klipsch are just highly efficient.

Your Pioneer receiver may be a problem too. Even though its published power is over 100 watts per channel, it drops down to 30-36 watts per channel with powering 5 speakers continuously.

How big is this room you have your parties in?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Wow. I recall that 1019 being tested at a true 30 watts/channel. I'm surprised it's survived at all.

Do what we did at the fraternity after destroying a few fine products: in the party room we put two Crown DC300A amps with four JBL studio monitors. Well, that was a few years ago.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Believe it of not for partys at my fraternity we got great performance out of Sony SS-FN5000 and for the price you can't beat them. They were a great party speakers. Not really looking for audiophile sound during a party just want to hear the music clearly and feel the bass. Now the basement bar room was full of professional dj equipment.

So buy some decent cheap floor standers and have them hooked up to Speakers B and just run thought for music during parties

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/18269490

Believe it of not for partys at my fraternity we got great performance out of Sony SS-FN5000 and for the price you can't beat them. They were a great party speakers. Not really looking for audiophile sound during a party just want to hear the music clearly and feel the bass. Now the basement bar room was full of professional dj equipment.

So buy some decent cheap floor standers and have them hooked up to Speakers B and just run thought for music during parties

I am one of the lone voices PRO Sony speakers (depending on budget and application) on this forum. They are a good choice. If you can afford Infinity P362s even better. Also Energy RC10s with a sub are interesting.

IMO 2 channel for music is not "dumbing down" stereo is a valid option.

Have fun!!!

Ron

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldoCombs /forum/post/18269516

I am one of the lone voices PRO Sony speakers (depending on budget and application) on this forum. They are a good choice. If you can afford Infinity P362s even better. Also Energy RC10s with a sub are interesting.

IMO 2 channel for music is not "dumbing down" stereo is a valid option.

Have fun!!!

Ron

Sony just has the best prices for me and if you are looking for cheap speakers that do their job the work. Their new stuff is nothing like they made in the '80s to early '90s but they get the job done. I have a pair of old Sony SS-TL5 4-ways which are great for music.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/18269634

Sony just has the best prices for me and if you are looking for cheap speakers that do their job the work. Their new stuff is nothing like they made in the '80s to early '90s but they get the job done. I have a pair of old Sony SS-TL5 4-ways which are great for music.

They are surprisingly good! My other mentions are better, but, check your wallet...

Ron

1 - 9 of 9 Posts